First time Wildcat design?

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
dan_351
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260 soon

First time Wildcat design?

Post by dan_351 »

Just trying to get a feel if i am on the right track with my understanding with what's involved or could be involved with attempting to design a reamer.

I've always had an interest in the 7 Dakota, but brass is in the US, dear as poison and 404J base is undesirable.

After having a read of this 22BR Deep chamber to use 243 brass started to think

I started to think of the possibility of doing the same thing with a 7WSM reamer or just custom designing a reamer to incorporate all the bits i want.

This are the cases i have been picking parts from

7 RUM, 7-375R Imp, 7 Dakota, 7WSM

i want the 7WSM body Taper, the neck and body length give you take depending on the action it'll go in, The RUM brass to form from and well the Rugers there for comparison

Now a few questions i had were

Can the chamber reamer be run into a Die to make a FL sizer?

I have a feeling Shortening the RUM brass will involve a few sets of possibly necking up to give a taper and possibly even a 20-25' shouldered forming die to get them at least chambered for fire-forming?

I guess i will leave it at there and hope from peoples posts it can start to get rolling to give me a bit better idea of whats involved, if i am on the right track and as normal bring out all the obvious info i forgot to add initally

Thanks in advance everyone
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: First time Wildcat design?

Post by Con »

Chamber reamer can make a seating die, not a FL resizing die. A sizing reamer can be ordered, but it costs the same as the chambering reamer so better value is gotten from just ordering a custom die set.

Drop the bloke I told you about a PM on AHN and ask for his reamer print for his shortened RUM with the WSM front end.
Cheers...
Con
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

Con wrote:Chamber reamer can make a seating die, not a FL resizing die. A sizing reamer can be ordered, but it costs the same as the chambering reamer so better value is gotten from just ordering a custom die set.

Drop the bloke I told you about a PM on AHN and ask for his reamer print for his shortened RUM with the WSM front end.
Cheers...
Con
Thanks Con, i was planning to PM him (and reframe from endless questions to yourself) until i got my head around it a little bit more
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Just to add to the confusion, have you thought about a 7x68S? Has most of what you seem to want, and is just a neck down from standard 8x68S.
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

jeffk wrote:Just to add to the confusion, have you thought about a 7x68S? Has most of what you seem to want, and is just a neck down from standard 8x68S.
GOD DAMN IT JEFF!!! :auto:

haha i posted for input and you know me well enough that i will rethink it 400 times before i lay down tonight hahaha

I'm still looking for a standard 6.5x68 and the 8x68S for my collection... though i do have a a few improved cases in 6.5 so i might check that out for mesurements
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Bet you 7mm/26Nosler reamers are available, that'd be a whoseyadaddy wildcat.
Cheers...
Con
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

Here is the 7 booboo with the 150 pill from the RUM. Very similar to the Ruger.
I am looking to shoot 160-180gn VLD
Con wrote:Bet you 7mm/26Nosler reamers are available, that'd be a whoseyadaddy wildcat.
Cheers...
Con
They have them listed on the PTG website, I will have to check out the specs. I would like about a 26 with a removable pilot. Then I would have to have the 7mm neck and throat done seperately? Yeah?

And if I ever wanted a straight out 26 Nosler I would have the reamer already
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

The PTG reamers will cut the appropriate neck, if its a 7/26Nosler reamer you get, it'll already be cutting for 7mm.
Cheers...
Con
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Also CH4D have dies for just about any wildcat you think hasn't been done before but probably has or even if it hasn't they will accomodate you by making them for you.

http://www.ch4d.com/

Ryan
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

Con wrote:The PTG reamers will cut the appropriate neck, if its a 7/26Nosler reamer you get, it'll already be cutting for 7mm.
Cheers...
Con
Oh i def understand that, but could i use a 26 Nosler reamer though to do the chambering and have the neck done separately?

as long as the Gunsmith had the suitable 7mm Neck reamer? or same with 30cal i guess if i were to wanna make 30/26Nosler?
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Smith should be able to use a throat reamer one would think.
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

Hey Con love the phrase that'd be a whoseyadaddy wildcat.
Cheers Malcolm
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Seeing as you are using the RUM brass, have you considered the 7mmLRM?
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

kickinback wrote:Seeing as you are using the RUM brass, have you considered the 7mmLRM?
G'day Kickin,

I have just been doin a little reading into it now, its formed from 375 Ruger brass, neat cartridge indeed. Though i still wanna follow up on the extended WSM chambering, will still offer a reasonable capacity increase again.

Its a Shame its only really Rem and Nosler make RUM brass though
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Why is it that every time I see the word Rum, I get a craving for a yellow can. :lol: :twisted: