One for the wildcatters

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Puddles
Favourite Cartridge: 17hmr

One for the wildcatters

Post by Puddles »

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing the bits for a .20 cal build, I have found a Zastava M70 action (.223) for $450 new would this be sufficient? would any work need to be done to the bolt face? Also in the mix is a new Howa action but at this stage just researching. I will be buying the bits progressively as the funds become available so this looks to be a medium term project.

Puddles
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Re: One for the wildcatters

Post by Glenn »

You can use a 223 bolt face for a 20cal.
A 223 bolt face mean you options are 20 Practical, Tactical with the 223 case.
20-222, 20 VarTarg Turbo with the 222 case.
20 VarTarg with the 221 Fireball case.

My pick is the VarTarg Turbo with a long neck.

If you wanted to open the bolt face up then 20 PPC is the go!

Glenn
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Puddles wrote:Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing the bits for a .20 cal build, I have found a Zastava M70 action (.223) for $450 new would this be sufficient? would any work need to be done to the bolt face? Also in the mix is a new Howa action but at this stage just researching. I will be buying the bits progressively as the funds become available so this looks to be a medium term project.

Puddles
I think you mean a Zastava m85.

Camel has a very nice 20/222 built on a m85.

I have a 6/223 and a Grendel on the same action.

They are well suited to a custom rifle, with good triggers out of the box and better triggers available in the aftermarket. Stocks are also available from a number of sources.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

adamjp wrote:
Puddles wrote:Hi Guys,

Puddles
I think you mean a Zastava m85.

Camel has a very nice 20/222 built on a m85.

I have a 6/223 and a Grendel on the same action.

They are well suited to a custom rifle, with good triggers out of the box and better triggers available in the aftermarket. Stocks are also available from a number of sources.
Yep it would be an M85, best kept secret as far as actions for small calibres in my opinion, I cant rate them high enough. As Adam said I have my 20/222, then I have my 223 which will be retired and put towards a 17/222 in the next few years, and then I have a 7.62x39 on the way that is going to be a 22PPC. There may not be the flash add ons like other actions, but you don't really need them. If I was going to do a 20PPC I would look around for a 7.62x39 as they have the correct bolt face. One word, GOFORIT. :D
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

It is listed as M70 on the website

https://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/p ... cid=308423

At any rate M70/M85 I'm gonna buy one based on your feedback, thanks guys.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

good decision
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Puddles wrote:It is listed as M70 on the website

https://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/p ... cid=308423

At any rate M70/M85 I'm gonna buy one based on your feedback, thanks guys.
These guys are good at helping you spend your money aren't they :stir:

Good advice though!

I think a 7.62x39 action would be perfect, but is down the track a little.

Have fun with the build.

Ryan
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Redding S type Neck bushing die in .222 with .230 bush, Lapua 222 brass available from BRT, Redding 222 body die. No need for custom dies or anything flash like that with a no turn necked 20/222, just size the necks so there is a slight crush when chambering by running the necks just short of the shoulder when necking down. Use a standard 222 seater die, or like me I just use a 22 cal seater on my Super Simplex turret press.
Only slight snag is with the decapping rod in the Redding 222 neck die wont fit into the necks after they have been sized down. I removed the expander ball on a 22 cal super simplex die and use that to de-prime.

With the magazine on the M85 action you will find that there is plenty of room, I cant seat the projectiles in mine out to touch the front of the magazine box, and still have them in the neck.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Deposit placed, got a better price when I contacted them too and yes it is a M85 as you guys advised.
Now to do some research on barrels.
Puddles
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Seddo stocks Lilja's at a competitive price
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Good man, would have been too good an opportunity to miss out on. My barrel is a Pacnor Super Match Grade, if you are interested. Probably depends on how keen you are to get the job done, as to which barrel you order. Never used them, but have heard good things about TSE ? barrels, Aussie made. I imagine that most of them would be pretty good quality, just depends on what you are prepared to pay.

Had a bloke tell me recently, he now wishes he could have found a 20/222 reamer and gone that way instead of a 20 Vartarg. It takes a while for common sense to sink into some blokes, eh Andrew ? :twisted:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Camel the 20VT has a cult like following. I always thought it didn't have enough powder so it never interested me but that man you are talking about is the only person I have heard of that has one and doesn't love it beyond reason!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yeah you are right Trev, at least he is learning, as I am trying to spread the good news. :twisted:
I think the best thing about it is there is no other brass forming than necking down, the longer neck on the 222 case may have something to do with it at well, but I don't know.
Apples
Favourite Cartridge: 375 cheytac

Post by Apples »

Had a bloke tell me recently, he now wishes he could have found a 20/222 reamer and gone that way instead of a 20 Vartarg. It takes a while for common sense to sink into some blokes, eh Andrew ? :twisted:[/quote]

People are still buying zavastas as an action for a 'custom' rifle! Trouble with common sense is it's not common!
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Gee, it appears I don't have any common sense! Lol, some people crack me up. Get off the cider Apples!

BTW I have priced up a TSE, $550 plus delivery which I'm cool with but will check with Seddo on the lilja.

How shit is that zastava again Camel?