Howa mini for the tech gurus

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Howa mini for the tech gurus

Post by Tony Z »

Hi Trev. As you know i have a few minis. Yes it can be easily done. But here is why you shouldn't. The tenon size compared to the 0.470" case size is going to limit pressure. Not enough material there with the 22x1 mm tenon to really flex the Dasher muscle. The 20 PPC version in the 7.6x39 mini is about as big as i would go. And i have looked at 30BR and 6BR a few times. Many times actually, even to the point of machining the reciever out to a 24mm thread. And yes that could be done, just, but would it be worth it? Not when you see how short the front mount screw would be. Yes it could reach into the tenon, but I'm not big on that shit as tenons swell, move, whatever. Not a good idea.
So yes, it can be done. But no as to tenon springing and locking up brass with the pressure you need to run to make the journey viable. Rem 700, 600 or even T3 with a floor plate. Or get real creative like me and get a Defiance.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Tony what about a standard short action (308) Howa? its the cheapest option and they are a decent action
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Easily done but not as compact. No question and no issue.
A fair departure from a mini to 1500 action.
Is this an itch like the one i had for the 5.6x50 RWS?
Awesome cartridge btw.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Tony Z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 pm Easily done but not as compact. No question and no issue.
A fair departure from a mini to 1500 action.
Is this an itch like the one i had for the 5.6x50 RWS?
Awesome cartridge btw.
Tony I've built a single shot varmint rifle on a benchrest quality action (BAT SV) and its neither your arse nor your elbow for the shooting I do. I'm gonna pull it apart and repurpose it.

Phase one, put the barrel on another action and make it feed from a magazine and take it spotlighting.

Phase two, turn the BAT SV action into a LRBR light gun by getting another stock and putting the existing light gun barrel on it

Phase three, convert the existing LRBR rifle (BAT MB)into a heavy gun (not very heavy) longer term