Sight it back in ?

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Beau204
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Sight it back in ?

Post by Beau204 »

Got a tikka t3 varmint that I pulled apart to lighten the trigger from the factory 3lb down to 2 does feel much better now that's for sure, I did have it sighted in bang on at 200, just wondering if it's worth putting afew through it before I head off again in afew days time culling just to make sure?
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: Sight it back in ?

Post by LoneRider »

YES !!

short answer :wink:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yes you should. It will likely be fine but best to check
Beau204

Post by Beau204 »

Thought as much but just hoping it would have been ok, will try and get the range before I go what a pita . :hunting:
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

Can't hurt , beats having an unexplained miss ! :oops:
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Beau204 wrote: will try and get the range before I go what a pita . :hunting:
If time behind the trigger of your rifle confirming or checking your zero is a PITA . . . . then I seriously question you hunting.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I wouldnt waste time on a range trip, just get to where you are going shooting early enough to put two or three shots thru it to be sure.

I used to find the little logo on a VB stubbie slab box set out at 100 paces was good enough :rifle2: :wink:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

mick_762 wrote:
If time behind the trigger of your rifle confirming or checking your zero is a PITA . . . . then I seriously question you hunting.
too much trigger time is never enough :wink:
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

trevort wrote:
I used to find the little logo on a VB stubbie slab box set out at 100 paces was good enough :rifle2: :wink:

Geeze, that's a waste of good beer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Waldo wrote:
trevort wrote:

Geeze, that's a waste of good beer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Good' being a subjective term. VB has it's place, but it's very limited.
Beau204

Post by Beau204 »

mick_762 wrote:
That's fine with me mate but I guess you do everything perfectly, just being lazy and time poor. I know the rifle is a shooter there's no doubt there at all. Was more so after a answer as to if what I have done to it would drastically change poi to the point of being concerned, I did ask the Lgs if I should torque both screws up the same and they say it should be right as long as I think Iv done both up by hand evenly. Guess it's easier to shoot people down asking a question these days than giving proper advice.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Beau, I carry a square of core flute with me behind the seat of the ute, when I need to check, I hang it between two wires on a fence, put a small square of electrical tape in the middle and use that to check my zero, works good for centre fires as well as rim fires. Square is around 10 inches a side.

I don't put all that much faith in this torqueing up action screws and such, I just do them up by hand, but then Im a bit of an old fashioned fart. :D
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Beau204 wrote: That's fine with me mate but I guess you do everything perfectly, just being lazy and time poor. I know the rifle is a shooter there's no doubt there at all. Was more so after a answer as to if what I have done to it would drastically change poi to the point of being concerned, I did ask the Lgs if I should torque both screws up the same and they say it should be right as long as I think Iv done both up by hand evenly. Guess it's easier to shoot people down asking a question these days than giving proper advice.
Nope I don't do everything perfectly, that's why I spend as much time actually using my rifles and getting comfortable with them at all ranges as I can.
We are all time poor these days mate, so we tend to make the most of that time away hunting - and if a few rounds to confirm/ease your mind for changes to POA/POI is too hard then so be it - your hunt not mine.
Now I am not saying that your particular gun shop gives inaccurate advice - but you would surprised how many do so, and yes they are right - the Tikka "should" go back to shooting how it was - but only if you put it back together exactly as it was - exactly, not close but exactly for no change. At 100 meters you not even pick up the slight change if there was one - but at 300 meters you would see a fair difference.

Wasn't shooting you down mate, was expressing an opinion - something that's still free.

Mick
Last edited by mick_762 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I generally use a knot in a tree if I'm out and think the rifle isn't shooting where it should be, only need a shot or to to get it sorted, I wouldn't bother with heading off to the range to do it, just find something to aim at, take the shot and adjust if needed, it will only be a few clicks out so a couple of shots should have it back where you want it to be.

Good luck with the trip mate, look forward to reading about it when you are back.
Beau204

Post by Beau204 »

Thanks fellas, should hopefully get a pig or two and maybe a fox if I'm good enuff giving the new whistle a toot. Will be more of a helping out the farmer trip and a bit of a cull if it's not to wet out there, fuckin rained the last two times we been out there they love us !