Boyds stock for Brno

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
windknot

Boyds stock for Brno

Post by windknot »

Has anyone had any thing to do with fitting a Boyds to a model 2 ?

Thinking of getting hold of a thumbhole for mine a 2E i think it goes as, bought the rifle new in '89, what is their fit like do the require much inletting etc

Just looking to preserve the original stock a bit .....and I've never had a thumbhole and always liked them since handling an old Naughton fieldman many many moons ago as a kid.

Cheers
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Boyds stock for Brno

Post by Camel »

Yeah mate, well........almost, I have fitted Boyds stocks to my CZ453 22 and 17HMR, they need a bit more work as I had to relieve the inlet for the different trigger system, also had to do an extra hole in the rear for the action bolt through the rear tang. I believe that you should have a near perfect drop in fit, though I would bed the action if I was you as sometimes they are a little loose.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Been wanting to do it myself but the thought of inletting for the timney trigger and having to re-bed it has been putting me off for awhile.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

lowndsie wrote:Been wanting to do it myself but the thought of inletting for the timney trigger and having to re-bed it has been putting me off for awhile.

Don't let it scare you off mate, its not that hard to do really, just take your time and take out little bits at a time, plenty of u-tube videos on bedding to watch.
engo
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by engo »

How have you been inletting and modifying the stocks?

I've been thinking about something like that for myself but have somewhat hesitated at it if I have to have tooling beyond a battery drill and maybe a dremel. I'd be happy to hand sand etc. to widen channels

So far my manufacturing/modification capability consists of an angle grinder, drop saw and stick welder which whilst fine for sheep yards and the rest of my farm work to date they might be a bit savage for gunsmithing...
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

I fitted a CZ452 stock up to my BRNO Model 2E.

If the 2E was still factory it would have gone in fine. As it was there was a small amount of stuffing around, but my 2E was never stock - the barrel was removed before it got home from the gunshop to be replaced with a match barrel.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

engo wrote:How have you been inletting and modifying the stocks?

I've been thinking about something like that for myself but have somewhat hesitated at it if I have to have tooling beyond a battery drill and maybe a dremel. I'd be happy to hand sand etc. to widen channels

So far my manufacturing/modification capability consists of an angle grinder, drop saw and stick welder which whilst fine for sheep yards and the rest of my farm work to date they might be a bit savage for gunsmithing...

Engo, I do mine using a Dremel with either a small or large sanding drum attachment on a flexible extension. Take the rifle completely apart so there is just the barrel and the action tube, once I have that so it fits properly I add other bits back on and make sure it still fits. Takes a while, but I cant emphasise enough "GO SLOW" the laminate is pretty soft and its easy to take out too much.
windknot

Post by windknot »

Thanks, I was a bit concerned with the bedding and inletting , but as you say youtube seems to be a wealth of info..............some of it shit, but you can soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

Cheers
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

this is a 1991 mod 2E and the only thing i did was remove that stupid bloody barrel mount

shoots good too.

IMG_0361 (Medium).JPG
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Look sweet mate!

How'd you remove the barrel mount?
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

lowndsie wrote:Look sweet mate!

+1 as I want to know this as well and would it be the same process to remove the front one?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

The Gnome wrote:

+1 as I want to know this as well and would it be the same process to remove the front one?

Are they still dovetailed into the bottom of the rear sight ring ? I took one off by knocking the thing out of the dovetail and just used the single screw through the centre of the action. Don't have that particular rifle any more.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

IMG_1244 (Small).JPG
IMG_1244 (Small).JPG (49.48 KiB) Viewed 275 times