One for the wildcatters

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: One for the wildcatters

Post by BP72 »

Target solutions have a few krieger barrels in 20 cal 1-12 twist . They'd be similar $ to the tse
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Camel wrote:Had a bloke tell me recently, he now wishes he could have found a 20/222 reamer and gone that way instead of a 20 Vartarg. It takes a while for common sense to sink into some blokes, eh Andrew ? :twisted:
The 20 Vt is a great little cartridge it is cheapish to run,reasonable quiet,little to no recoil and accurate.

So why do I keep reaching for the 17 furball ?

Puddles grab the Zastava action put a Madco 20 cal on it in the chambering you choose and stick it in a Boyds stock.

Learn to shoot it,shoot it often and I reckon the dead right there critters are not going to be able to tell the set up cost you just over a gorilla.

ps I dream of a Bat action,jewel trigger, lilja barrel chambered in 20 PPC sitting in a Shurley bros #10 with a Z6 for optics.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

ps I dream of a Bat action,jewel trigger, lilja barrel chambered in 20 PPC sitting in a Stocky`s #10 with a Z6 for optics.
I am glad you redeemed yourself with the last bit!

Glenn
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

One day Glenn one day.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

post links to these stocks you mention so I have something to look forward to checking out when I get home from work
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Puddles
Favourite Cartridge: 17hmr

Post by Puddles »

The choice of cal is between the 20 vartarg and the 20-222, what is the recoil and noise of the 20-222 comparable to Camel.
I am looking for something not overly loud and I want to see the projectile hit the target, at this stage I am leaning towards the vt as I have been reading heaps on it but can't find any good info on the 20-222.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

read about the 20 VT turbo, close enough :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Puddles,
I would put the recoil on mine at around the same as a 22 hornet, a lot depends on the weight of the rifle and I guess the projectile weight would come into it as well. I can see critters get flung onto the ground well enough, when they are reasonably close, at night over about 150 I loose sight, but that may be caused by other things.
Noise is a sharp bark, depends on what is around you when you shoot, what position the muzzle is when I fire it, I generally have the muzzle pointed straight along the side of the ute, I spose a lot of the sound is deflected by the windscreen.
Puddles
Favourite Cartridge: 17hmr

Post by Puddles »

Thanks Camel.

Trevort is the vt turbo just the vt with the 40degree shoulder? I will google it.

Thanks boys
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Puddles wrote:Thanks Camel.

Trevort is the vt turbo just the vt with the 40degree shoulder? I will google it.

Thanks boys
The VT Turbo is the complex way to make a 20-222 improved. IMHO Todd Kindler was not thinking real straight that day.

Seriously now. Do you have any experience forming cases for a wildcat? Can you afford to buy a set of forming dies and then reloading dies for the VT?

I've thought long and hard about a 20 cal and I keep coming back to the 20-222 as my cartridge of choice. The 20-222 is possibly the best little 20 cal available, and oh so easy to make. The larger 20 cal cartridges are in another league, but for the small ones, the 20-222 is by far the most sensible. I doubt you will notice any difference in recoil, accuracy or muzzle report between the VT and the 20-222, but you will notice it when you buy some cases for the rifle.

Dies? Redding 222 Type-S bushing die set with a 236 bushing.

Cases? 200x Laupa 222 cases please.

This coming from a bloke who has been doing neck turned cases and forming for wildcats since 1995. I am setup for this work but can't see a good reason to do it for this calibre.

In a few weeks I will be picking up my newest rifle, a 6.5 SAUM. Whilst with the gunsmith I will be talking with him about buying a 20-222 reamer setup for un-turned Lapua 222 cases straight necked down. If I build one it will be on the same m85 action you are using, #2 Lilja barrel and a Basner stock. Like my other m85 Mausers.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Adam you will have to let me know if he gets the reamer, never know I might burn this barrel out and need another.

Dunno about the .236 bush, my chamber is no turn for Lapua brass. and fired brass comes out at .234, I use a .230 bush. Seater, I use a Super simplex 204Rug seater, and have a 222 Redding body die if ever I need to bump the body down a bit. Loaded ammo is at .232