Building a 20 PPC

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Re: Building a 20 PPC

Post by Glenn »

If you are going to build a 20PPC buy a match grade barrel!
A match grade will cost you approximately $500.00.
You get to choose the twist rate, profile and length of your barrel!

It costs the same to chamber a new barrel as it dose to set back a factory barrel!
There is no comparison between a factory and match grade barrel.
A factory barrel is an unknown so you don't want to go wasting your money on setting back and rechambering one!

Glenn
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Glenn that is good advice.
Gary
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Unless you can do the chambering work yourself....
...what they said.
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

Glenn wrote:If you are going to build a 20PPC buy a match grade barrel!
A match grade will cost you approximately $500.00.
You get to choose the twist rate, profile and length of your barrel!

It costs the same to chamber a new barrel as it dose to set back a factory barrel!
There is no comparison between a factory and match grade barrel.
A factory barrel is an unknown so you don't want to go wasting your money on setting back and rechambering one!

Glenn
Exactly. As Glenn said. The old mans 20PPC build is a 1:10 rem varmint profile 26" S/S fluted match grade barrel from TSE. Still waiting on but hopefully not to far away.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

No disagreement with the sentiments for an aftermarket barrel, but it is not essential.

For about $1200 you can have a new Howa based 20PPC in a stock ready to scope. Absolutely the cheapest option.

The next cheapest would be a Zastava based one, but that is a few hundred more.
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

That sounds like the way for me to go as my first custom. I could always upgrade the barrel later I suppose.
What twist rate would be best suited?
Thanks for the input fellas.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

if you start with a factory barrel you have no choice. its 1 in 12 and it will work well with 32 and 39gn pills and MIGHT work with 40s.

If you get a custom barrel which is a TRUE 1 in 12 it will work with 32,39 and 40s.

If you want to shoot 50s then a 1 in 9 and 55s a 1 in 8.5 is recommended though many with high capacity cases report 1 in 9 is sufficient.

I went with a 1 in 10 as I wanted to be absolutely certain it would work with 40s
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

I look at it this way

Howa 204 $650 ish plus permit to acquire
Set back and rechamber $400 ish
The rifle owes you $1050
You like the combination but the 40`s will not stabilise
So then a custom barrel chambered and fitted $800
The rifle owes you $1850 plus you have had to apply to the WA gestapo to change calibre + barrels twice (?)

Howa $650 ish plus permit to acquire
Custom barrel chambered in the length and twist you want $800
Rifle owes you $1450 one Wapol application and $400 in front
Apples
Favourite Cartridge: 375 cheytac

Post by Apples »

Wow! Rechambering a howa barrel... :?
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

adamjp wrote:No disagreement with the sentiments for an aftermarket barrel, but it is not essential.

For about $1200 you can have a new Howa based 20PPC in a stock ready to scope. Absolutely the cheapest option.

As Missed pointed out it is not a cheap option!
I think this sums it up!
1503394_727718480585942_1365559106_n.jpg
1503394_727718480585942_1365559106_n.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 863 times
Glenn
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Glenn wrote:
adamjp wrote:No disagreement with the sentiments for an aftermarket barrel, but it is not essential.

As Missed pointed out it is not a cheap option!
I think this sums it up!

Glenn
Glenn, with respect that is a load of rubbish.

Rechambering a Howa is the cheapest option to a 20PPC. It is not the BEST option, but it is the simplest and cheapest option. MISSED is taking an interpretation of 20 PPC use that is not necessarily true. Most people who shoot factory 204 Rugers are very very happy throwing the 39gn bullets, hell if he was suggestiong a 20/222 everyone would be saying - "just throw the 32s, you don't need the 40gn bullets to have 20 cal fun".

If you have a 20 PPC happily throwing the 39gn SBKs tell us all what the real advantage of the 40gn VMAXs are? Ballistic performance? Nope. The only one I can spot is the availability of ZMAX bullets and their relative cheapness.

I like how folks here are very happy to spend other peoples $$$ on rifles and dump on ideas to get cheap performance. Do they forget that their first rifles were factory? And then slightly modified factory? Usually several times over before the confidence was gained to build a full custom.

I started on custom rifles over 20 years ago, made some mistakes along the way, but now have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Starting with a planned conversion of a factory rifle is a good way to get into the lifestyle.

Lets look at the original post again...
Vermingone wrote:Can I receive some guidance please?
I've only ever had factory rifles and am interested in learning about building a custom rifle.
What components would one require for such a build ?
What is the process to achieve a finished rifle ?
Action obviously but what one ?
Barrel heavy varmint preferred what rate of twist/length for 32-40 grn projectiles ?
Dies etc ? Forming brass etc ?
Ideally this rifle for the exercise of the build would be benched of the back of my ute so weight wouldn't be an issue.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

If I was going to spend my money on a "custom" rifle ,Adam, I'd expect a lot more than factory howa performance at the end of it. Which is exactly what you would get if you just ran a reamer down a howa barrel.

The OP wanted advice on a custom rifle build, not a tight ass re-chamber job.

BB
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

Easy fellas. I've taken onboard things discussed in the thread and understand the ways different opinions have approached the questions I've asked.
I'll probably go with the budget Howa action and organise a match grade barrel because that seems like a good entry level way to get into customizing rifles.
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

MISSED is taking an interpretation of 20 PPC use that is not necessarily true.

I tried 32gr Noslers, Sierras and Hornadies all great projectiles but performance became less predictable over 350m.

James270 uses 32 gr Noslers to great effect out 450m in his ruger 204.

I tried 34 gr Nosler shots very accurate at 100m and the splat factor was spectacular but again what was accurate at MY mid range did not work well for ME at 350m+

I tried 39 gr Sierra`s accurate and dependable but shot no better than the 40 V-Max another consideration is their price and availability

The 40 gr V-Max shoot very well out to 500m+ and have been a very consistent performer for me in MY rifle.
Price and availability are very good.

I also tried some 50 gr Bergers (Thanks GJS).I thought they were a good projectile and maybe shot a bit better at MY longer distances but when I rechambered the new chamber has a shorter throat more suited to the 39-40gr length.This size projectile has been discontinued by Berger.

I have not shot the 55 gr Bergers for 2 reasons my Twist rate and the fact my rifle is multi purpose doing duty as a daytime Varminter and night time fox stuffer so at night I want the trajectory as flat as I can get because I am crap at judging distance at night.

A lot of people on this and other forums have been playing with very accurate rifles way longer than I have.And what I thought was long range shooting to them is a stroll in the park.So this is what I have found on my part of the journey.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I asked PVM about rechambering a factory barrel years ago...........................refused to do it,not worth the time,expense and trouble,one mans opinion whom I value.
I also after having spent many hours making,modifiying,researching and spending my hard earned dollars on shooting/hunting related equipment have come to the conclussion that "cheapest aint always bestest".............its your money so make sure you get the most bang for your buck that you can.
just my 2 cents worth.