Lathe choice for home gunsmithing

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Lathe choice for home gunsmithing

Post by Brad Y »

Hahahahaha- If only the one I wanted was so easy to find and as cheap too!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

this thread is very interesting to me.
i was looking at trying to pick up a lathe next yr.
what prices are you looking at for the lathe itself ?

keep us posted on this.
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Brad,

I use the Ti coated carbide tips, they cost a bit more, but last longer. As I said, I do my barrels through the spindle, just had the one 2" maddco, so had to go the steady path for that. My lead screw is imperial too, makes doing all the imperial threads easy, but is still a PITA if I have to do a metric, which I will have to do in the next week or so for a Brno action.

The most expensive thing (and the most used) I have bought for this sort of work so far is a set of Deltronic pins for 30 cal ex the USA. I should get a set for 6mm too, but that will have to wait. It's interesting when you get a new barrel and put the pins through it and find it's 1.8 thou undersize, or has no taper, or reverse taper in the bore. Used in conjunction with a bore scope, you would wonder how the bullet even gets to the end of the barrel. I have even seen inclusions in the metal in the barrel steel, part way up the bore, and no, the barrel didn't shoot well, and didn't last.

Because I shoot a modified 300 win mag similar to JR, I have also made primer pocket reclaim dies, web reclaim dies and other interesting bits and pieces. Saves a fortune on trying to buy them.

Jeff
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Thanks Jeff

I have been doing alot of reading and it seems like all the top gunsmiths in USA all agree that chambering is a personal thing. But quite a few use those Deltronic Pins. In fact my smith here uses them too and told me they arent cheap, but he dials in a bore very nicely with them. I would get them in 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm and 30 cal and that should have all target calibers covered for me. There is plenty of time to get the tooling as well while looking for a machine. I know I cant get the AL320 now unless they offer it with an imperial screw- will have to ask. I do have to build a lean to verandah off my carport to get the boat out of the shed now too. I dare say it wont happen until sometime next year with everything going on. But im going to start looking out for a suitable machine. Never know what may pop up.

LR- I was looking around the 2k mark for bare lathe, but I think now thats way too optimistic, unless I go for an old belt driven model and Im not sure I want to do that. Hopefully around the 3-4k. With two barrels a year at $350 each plus the odd crown or rechamber and any other tidbits I would like for it to pay for itself in 4-5 years, even sooner if possible.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

In a word - awesome !

Now just hurry up so I can come down and get my stuff done. :lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Haha I reckon you should be my business partner. That way you get priority work done and I dont spend as much of Jens money as I think I will have to. Its still a while off. In the mean time Im going to see if I can get some time in with the gunsmith here chambering, measuring etc. Ive seen it all and would be confident to have a go cold turkey, but not on a brand new $600 krieger. Might have a play with some of the old factory barrels just to work on dialing in and such.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Haha, I just bought a house yesterday so you're a day late on requesting finances... sliding on that uncomfortable mortage suit again :roll:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Over here I hope, not defecting back the other side of the nullabor! Going to inspect some fox places tonight, hopefully the thunder doesnt make them too flighty
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Brad,

You might want to rethink your pin selection, my set of 25 pins, with tenth thou increments, was $300 to get, so don't be in a hurry to buy too many. Good way to practice your work is to take out the old barrel, part off the chamber and threads, keep it aside to measure from, then use the old barrel as a dummy, you could easy get a couple of trial runs out of it, and still have plenty left to make dies with.

Jeff
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

justjeff wrote:Brad,

My lead screw is imperial too, makes doing all the imperial threads easy, but is still a PITA if I have to do a metric.

Jeff
Ahh mate, you're doing it the hard way if your using the chasing dial.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

You might want to rethink your pin selection, my set of 25 pins, with tenth thou increments, was $300 to get, so don't be in a hurry to buy too many. Good way to practice your work is to take out the old barrel, part off the chamber and threads, keep it aside to measure from, then use the old barrel as a dummy, you could easy get a couple of trial runs out of it, and still have plenty left to make dies with.

Jeff
Why don't you make your own pins? Is it a case of not having the grinder?
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Jeff
Agree with jeff you need to buy quality gear!
Buying the lathe is the CHEAP bit buying all the QUALITY tooling and equipment is what sets you back the real cash and maintaining quality gear to produce quality work is the key, then the TIME to learn and do is also a killer, for 2-3 barrels a year and a couple of actions every now n then, it just isn't an economical choice to buy your own gear, but if you want to learn a new thing, for the fun and doing other stuff well then money doesn't come into it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check the AL250 or 320 have big enough spindle bore for the size barrels you intend working on now and in the future. they are a very lightweight machine and don't like any heavy cutting, but if you go slow n steady they are fine. For chambering Use a rougher (can be an old cutter that is now sharpened undersized) then a finisher for best results :wink:

My lathes are a Johnford and a herless
mill is a doall knee, but that's only the start of all the crap in the shed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best
John
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

John

Thanks for your help. The AL320 has the spindle bore I need- just have to check to see if I can get one with an imperial leadscrew. The AL250 is great for my price bracket but I dont think a 1.25" tube will fit through it. But if I start using palma profile barrels it would suit ok. Sadly that wont cut the mustard for the shooting I do.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

If you are going to buy a metal lathe don't buy a kids toy!

I know a bloke with a AL320 and he hates it.
To small, to light and really only built for light work.

I agree with John, you are not going to save money at all.
Even if you THINK you will believe me you won't!

If you still want to do it anyway then buy a real lathe, http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L187D.

Have a look at the weight, mass is your friend!
Read Johns post at least 5 times, I wish some one had told me that I would not of wasted so
much money!

Glenn
Last edited by Glenn on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I agree with the last couple of posts buuuuuuut,if all you are looking to do is barrel work and size+money comes into play a smaller lathe will be fine.
Chambers are light work,threading is light work,crowning is light work,truing lugs,bushing bolts etc isnt going to tax your lathe greatly,if in the future you want to do heavier work you will be limited though.
Mate has the AL336 and it is pretty bloody good,will take a 1.25 barrel no worries and it cost him $3600 with a DRO,its good to use and as John and others have said tooling,tooling,tooling.