Valuable Lesson (need more help!?!?)

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Valuable Lesson (need more help!?!?)

Post by Rumpus »

Well a few hours hard work has gone to waste.. Decided to F/L size some of my ammo and load it up and for some reason didnt run it through the case trimmer... now i got 50 loads which the bolt wont close on and are prob .2mm o/s..

Going to grab an inertia hammer and pull em all apart but to run em through the case trimmer i need to de prime the live primers. Whats the best way to go about this and can the primers be reused??

Thanks...

Utterly annoyed at myself for not doing it properly... Lesson Well learned!!!!
Last edited by Rumpus on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Valuable Lesson

Post by MISSED »

Mate just run them through your die

First up adjust the decapping down

Secondly,which should have been firstly, wear safety glasses

Run the cases up slowly and catch the primers as they fall.
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Rumpus,

Sounds like you didn't lube the body of the case and the inside of the neck properly...if you set up your die to the makers specs and the cases weren't too long before you sized them they should go back in your rifle without any resistance....if they weren't lubed properly the cases will stretch and be too long.

Remove the projectiles and powder and make sure they are lubed properly and run them through your F/L sizer without the de-capping pin and check them in your rifle...if they don't go into the rifle easy check the length...if they aren't over length then you might need to re-adjust your die.

Steve
Rumpus
.17 HMR

Post by Rumpus »

Thanks Steven, I was using the Lynman spray lube for the first time.. So that could be whats caused the problem!! Some of them were tight on removal, so maybe when pulling them back out of the die its stretched them as you have said..

Will have to try it when i get home after this shift at work, so wont be untill next week, but so its not playing o my head non stop, do you think that F/L sizing them will push them back into normal size or will i have to trim them anyway... Hate having to wait to find out...
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Rumpus,

I'm sure if you resize them they will come back to where they should fit without trimming...a lot of people forget that you have to lube the inside of the neck when you F/L size..I normally use powdered graphite...it also helps to brush out the necks with a bronze brush before you dip the necks in the graphite...I'm a fan of the old lube pad, you get more of an even coating of lube on the case and use graphite to lube the necks inside and out...the graphite is dirty but you don't get lube inside your cases.

Good Luck
Steve
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

If it is truely the fact that the cases need trimming then sizing them wont make them any shorter,the brass only moves in one direction and thats from the base upwards,yes pulling the neck over a unlubed or insufficently lubed sizing button will pull the brass forward as Steven said.

Regards Chris.
Rumpus
.17 HMR

Post by Rumpus »

Ok, well it seems the problem is with my F/L Sizer...

I have disassembled the bullets, trimmed and ran them through the F/L again and still no fit...

So i grabbed a once fired brass from a different batch, It chambers no problems, Run it through the F/L Die and it wont chamber..

Grab another once fired brass, it also chambers fine, run it through neck die and it still chambers, run it through F/L Die and it wont chamber..

I have cleaned the die and all and still no luck... Its got me Farked as to whats going on unless there is something wrong with the Die itself??? Ive tried a few lube combination's and they are going through the doe no problems, with plenty of lube inside and out..

Any ideas??

Im thinking of just throwing that whole batch of brass and starting again and just neck sizing... But whats going on with my full length die?
Rumpus
.17 HMR

Re: Valuable Lesson (need more help!?!?)

Post by Rumpus »

any ideas? anyone?
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

Rumpus wrote:any ideas? anyone?
Do you know why they wont chamber?
Have you tried neck sizing a case that wont chamber? Should eliminate if it is a neck or body/shoulder issue.

Without looking at a case its just guess work.
Try backing the FL die out 1/2 a turn run a case through and see if it chambers.
Rumpus
.17 HMR

Post by Rumpus »

re neck sizing the cases does not help.. have tried the die in a few positions..
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Open up the boxes that say micrometer and calipers and start measuring son... just start measuring.... your bound to find something not right :wink:

All the best
John
BIG E
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by BIG E »

wat brass r ya using
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Can you measure from the datum point to the base on a case that chambers and then compare that measurement to the case after it's F/L sized.As John said start measuring and writing the results down and comparing them before and after,something will become apparent.

Regards Chris.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

borrow someone else's fld. Sounds like your case is being strecthed coming out. Even better, try screwing out the decapping assembly and run a case thru. It should size the body and shoulder , its usually the expander ball that is guilty of strecthing your case as its pulled back thru. thats why they say lube the inside of the case neck with a cotton bud or some such.

Now if you fired cases chamber and you have a neck die, you shouldnt be full length sizing them anyway!!!!!
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

The obvious answer is to take the expander from your neck die and use it in the F/L die. If the problem goes away the expander in the F/L is too big or has a burr or scratch or something.

If you still have the same problem it is likely that the F/L die is too tight in the neck section and sizing down the neck too far, causing a really tight extraction on the expander ball and pulling the case neck and shoulder forward.

Confirmation step - neck size a case, without expander assembly, in your neck die, measure the neck diameter, then size the same case in your F/L die, again without expander assembly and compare neck measurement. If it is smaller from the F/L die you have isolated the problem.