Tikka T3 Experts

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Tanno
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Tikka T3 Experts

Post by Tanno »

I’m looking at buying a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5mm in either .260rem or 6.5x55, I’m leaning towards the 6.5x55 only because the lapua brass is cheaper. What I would like to know is what limitation if any is there to loading long projectiles meaning close to the lands, will the magazine be to short or will I have feeding problems. I’m hoping to use 130-140 grain projectiles also any loads you guys have that work well in this rifle, I know I will have to fine tune for my rifle but a start load would be good.

Thanks in advance.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Tikka T3 Experts

Post by Plowboy »

Can't say much on that calibre but my .223 doesn't leave a lot of room for longer projectiles in the mag. Not really up on reloading but factory round don't have much to spare
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Don't all T3's pretty much use the same magazine so I would say with the 6.5x55 it would not have a space in it. Go the swede in those nice new actions you can really make them hoot!

Ryan
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Post by louie the fly »

they r the same mags for both short and long actions but the short actions are blocked off about halfway for some stupid reason limiting the seating of the projectile.

I think to solve the problem, you could just get a long action mag, these long actions mags are long enough for the 30/06 soo should be alright for the 6.5 x 55. however the mags are $100, and you will probably want 2 mags soo $200.

I have a tikka T3 super varmint, and if you are looking for a out of the box rifle which will shoot 5 shot MOA without any modification, and at a fairly reasonable price then T3 is the best option. Even the hunter versions in laminated stocks are very attractive rifles.

cheers mate.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

As I mention over on AHN.
If you use a long magazine you will need to change the bolt stop to a long action.
The short action bolt stop will stop the bolt from sliding far enough back to get behind the rim on the long magazines.
It is an easy fix no smithing required, just buy the long bolt stop, pull the retaining pin on old stop will pop out, put new stop and spring in, then put the retaining pin back in.
I am not sure on the cost but i would guess between $25 and $50, You could cut the short stop to make it a long but could be abit of stuffing around.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Guys, its a T3, the budget Sako! It only comes in one action length LONG. The magazines are shortened with a stopper at the back to adjust for calibre. If you cant load your projies out long enough you can buy a 30 06 magazine for it
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

The Tikka in 6.5x55 will be a long magazine and you should have plenty of room in the mag as its the same length as the 30/06 etc.
However the .260 is based on the short action and you will have magazine length issue's when trying to seat out to the lands. You can easily convert a long to a short or vice versa but buying a new magazine and a replacement bolt stop. I have some stops here if you end up needing them. :D