Extraction problems

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Extraction problems

Post by Brad Y »

Changed over to lapua brass on my 20 practical but i cant get fired cases to extract. Loaded rounds cycle fine. Bolt lift after firing is fine too, but just cant get fired rounds out of the chamber. Anyone got a suggestion to what it is? Case length is fine- Ive checked that by trimming a fired case down. Currently shooting 23gr 2206H so I can actually get the rounds out of the chamber after firing. No point having a custom 20 cal varminter that can do 3800-3900fps doing 3400 with the same accuracy.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Extraction problems

Post by Knackers »

Hi Brad, I'm assuming that your getting the case's out with a cleaning rod? are they very tight? :wink:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yes the tight ones are coming out with the rod. Others are coming out with a tap on the bolt handle with the rubber mallet.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

What sort of extractor? could it have a broken or loose spring? I' mean enough grip to pull a loose unfired case out compared to slipping off a tight fired case?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Its a tikka so its the sako style extractor. Nothing wrong with it. The reason why it slips off is that the cases are stuck inside the chamber so tight it takes some serious force to get them out with the mallet on the bolt handle or the rod down the barrel. I had no probs with the old remmy cases in terms of feeding/extraction- just in the consistency of the brass in terms of case to case.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

OK just read your post on RE10 Thread, and forget what I was saying its not an extractor problem, its more than that. :wink:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Ive gone back over trevs problems with his JAB 20 and I think mine is the same problem. I can see a quick tickle with the reamer might just do it. Will go back to the LGS with it wednesday and get him to fix it. I dare say it is only going to be a couple of thou out.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

and get him to fix it. I dare say it is only going to be a couple of thou out.
Couple of grand's a bit rich, You could buy a new gun for that money. :roll:

Kiddin, good luck with it Brad :wink:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Well i could easily go for a heavy barrel stiller actioned 20 prac.... but its not that practical to me. Nothin like a revitalised ex fox rifle 17 rem tikka LSA 55. She works very well but I just need this chamber problem sorted and need a 5 shot mag.
spud

Post by spud »

try wrapping ya rifle around a gum tree mite fix your problems with this rifle properly. y didnt you just buy a 204 instead of building a 20 cal thats given you problems from the start it would have been a lot easier
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Hey spud if you haven't got something useful or helpful to add to the thread maybe you should butt out !
There are people here who want something more than just an out of the box factory rifle. Sometimes that comes with a few teething troubles but ends up with something the owner values far more. Not everybody can be bothered with the time, thought and effort that goes into a custom rifle, or a wildcat cartridge. Fair enough but those of us who do aren't interested in opinions like the one you expressed - you're not going to convince anyone to do as you suggested :evil:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Brad have you checked the case dimensions of the lapua compared to the other cases? might be slightly thicker brass and a quick neck turn might help.

Ryan
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Sounds like a reamer case mismatch,the Lapua cases are most likely fatter at the back end.

Regards Chris.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

The cases are already neck turned prior to loading. There isnt enough clearance if i dont skim a thou off all round. But Chris is on the money I reckon. I think Im at the point where I either need to go back to rem brass and put up with sub standard cases or redo the chamber. Or i can try the winchester brass as its supposed to be better than the remmy.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I see you have a solution in the other thread. I dont think its the chamber, my problem was fixed by a 20 Prac reamer, you started with one of those!