Removing Crimped Primers

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Removing Crimped Primers

Post by lowndsie »

I just got my hands on some federal .223 ammo for a really good price. I noticed the primers are crimped in place. Once they are fired and removed, can a normal primer pocket uniformer be used to clean the crimp up??
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Re: Removing Crimped Primers

Post by Sam Walker »

No, it doesn't work on the right area of the case....there's a Wilson cutter that works in the Wilson case trimmer, or the RCBS primer pocket swaging die set
Divey

Post by Divey »

Lowndsie, I think you'll find this is what you want. I have a set and they work fine on any military brass or any brass whereby the primer has been crimped.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=447022
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Yep thats them, HSS got mine in for me, about $75. If I'd been aware of the Wilson cutter I woulda got that instead though. You'd want to have a shitload of cases for it to be worthwhile. I've got a bucket full of ADI stuff so it seemed worth it to me..
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

I have about 100 federal cases and maybe 150 american eagle(made by federal)cases. Maybe I should see if I can find a nearby reloader to borrow(when I get going.)
deekay
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by deekay »

I made a cutter out of an old screw driver. I ground it so that it just takes the crimp lips off & Just slightly bevells the edge. Cost me nothing.

Denis
Divey

Post by Divey »

The swager actually moves the brass back to where it was prior to crimping. It does not remove any metal at all.
If only Lowndsie would come back onto this thread, I could make and offer for him to borrow the swager.....but he's gooooone.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

lol... Here I am!!! :mrgreen:

I read in an old Guns and Game where a bloke said you could use a normal uniformer, but it didn't sound right. Just looking at these factories now... I can't see that they are crimp in. The have like a green mark around the primer, but everything looks round and normal. Maybe they aren't crimped after all. :?:
Divey

Post by Divey »

You'll certainly know if they have been crimped or not when you go to prime a case. :D