which is the best 223 factory load?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

which is the best 223 factory load?

Post by alex1 »

hi guys, I have finally bought my new ruger 223 wit a 1-9 twist and very satisfied with the firearm, However i have only used two types of ammo (factory load) 1. winchester super x 55gr soft point and 2.remmington express 55gr.
I have noticed that the remmington ammo is very sleek and elegant which marks very well on the paper but on the field i havn't been so satisfied. it seems to peirce the target without dropping it..

do you guy's know a good factory cartridge for 223?
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: which is the best 223 factory load?

Post by macca »

hi alex1.Welcome.
Mate what target are you piercing in the field?
Wolf hollow points work well in a lot of 223 rifles.
Any of the soft points should stop most things if shot in the right part of the target.
cheers,
Macca
alex1
.17 HMR

Post by alex1 »

G'day mate, thanks for the reply. When i started off, i was using the winchester ammo, 55gr soft point. it is an effective cartride allthough i get better accuracy with the remington.

It seems when i am in the field i can target a bunny under 60mts, it seems to pierce the bunny and runs of. when i shoot the bunny from over 100mts, i well and tuly stop it.

mate, two weeks ago i had spooted a hare( quite a big hare for vic but not so big to the ones in nsw). at 60mts i took the shot, and successfuly hit the behind legs. Mate this hare ran for another say 1km around the paddock with me chasing it in the car till i could take the next available shot. till then i took another shot which landed say above the front shoulders. it started to run for another 10mts and then dropped.

is it just me or was this hare just a tough one, cos realistically a 223 should been able to blow him away
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Alex,
Firstly welcome to the forum.

Secondly mate I'd say you are missing. You hit a hare with a 223 its going to stay down especially a chest shot. I mean no offence but from the sound of it it sounds like you are just missing (probably going over him at 60m).

Take your 223 at 50m and see where it hits on paper it will probably be high.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Running rough figures if a 223 is sighted at 50m, its high at 100m and just on or just low at 150m.

Any hare i have hit with my 223 is down for the count. Be it a head, chest or even rear hip (takes arse end off). With a rear third type shot they may get about 5-10m but they will be out for the count.

For ammo, cheap practice the wolf 55gr or 62gr HP is good, but on game they suck. They act like a FMJ and pin hole through.
Wolf make a PSP in a brown/cream camo box, it was ok.
Winchester bulk pack 55gr PSP is good stuff, comes loose in a 50 round box. about $35-40 for 50.
Federal 'American Eagle' 50gr HP is also good stuff for game.
Highland SX ammo was great but has ceased production
Highland AX was also good in my gun.
Remington stuff was the most expensive stuff i tried but shot shit in my gun.
alex1
.17 HMR

Post by alex1 »

thanks for the feedback, so i did. i thought the rifle would have to be way out, surely.
i took a 5 rounds at 60mts and all shots were within 2cm, not high or low but slightly to the right.(by the way, the rifle is zero at 100mts)
i took 5 more rounds at 250mts and using a bushnell elite 5-15-50 scope, i shot another 5rounds about 2.5-3 inches higher than the target crosshair and landed within 3cm of all the shots. some of the shots were high and some were low. i don't think that is that bad.

so i am stumped, maybee i am missing at the slightest margin but if i want to barell foxes with this new baby i have better use hollow points. what u think?

i have posted the hare. if it has worked. thx guys
Attachments
hare.jpg
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

Head shot Hares, have their Head removed.

.223 anywhere on a Hare will do Ultimate Damage. :auto:

These are Big Hares, TYB can hardly lift them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3546 s.JPG
IMG_3544 s.JPG
Jock
.222 Remington

Post by Jock »

1 1/2 Inches at 100yds, for me.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Mate I think you are missing and have shot plenty of foxes with softpoints and had them exit.

I like softpoints on varmints (foxes rabbits hares etc) more so than hollow points but I still think if you were hitting them anywhere they wouldn't be running around for 1km etc.

This is what I want you to do next time you are out. Get some coke cans/bottles (600mL) get say 6 of them and put them out at unknown distances from 50m to around 300. Shoot at them get someone to spot where the shot goes if it misses. This will be a good indication of where you are shooting at different distances and also a barrel of fun! See which ones are easy to hit and which ones take a few shots to hit. Will give you an idea anyways.
alex1
.17 HMR

Post by alex1 »

well thx for the feedback guys. back to the paddock for me to to resight. i still don't know why jock gets more damage on his hairs than i do?
alex1
.17 HMR

Post by alex1 »

hey kjd. what soft point ammo do you use mate for your 223?
Jock
.222 Remington

Post by Jock »

I love the Plastic Tips, on all my Pills. :auto:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

alex1 wrote:hey kjd. what soft point ammo do you use mate for your 223?
Well I had a 222 in my 223 I'll probably use Nosler shots (I reload my own ammo).
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

Highland SX ammo was great but has ceased production
Damn straight, My 22-250 used to Love it, and at $19 a pack it was a bargain...

Have only run the winchesters in my .223 (I reload normally) but back in the pre reloading days the 22-250 (same projectile) used to prefer the Highlander AX over all the better brands, It is hitting alot quicker though..
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

mate start reloading. never had a run off with a 50gn Blitzking, bits flew off, no run off!