Tell me why I NEED a RCBS Chargemaster

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Tell me why I NEED a RCBS Chargemaster

Post by JasonF »

Hi all

Just getting started with reloading - have a Redding Big Boss Pro Pak kit on its way (thanks HSS/Rook for the excellent deal on that), and will be setting up with Redding Match S-type dies and a range of goodies from the Sinclair catalogue.

The one thing I don't have lined up is a powder measure. I was going to look out for a good deal on a Redding 3BR, but I am wondering if I should just save my cash for a Chargemaster combo instead. The prices on these seem to be getting more reasonable at present.

So, I am looking for advice - which way should I jump?

Cheers, Jason.

PS - for background on number of cartridges and volume, I will be loading for my 223 and 7mm-08 plus a 338 Fed which is in the early build stages. I may also be loading for a mate's 204 and in the longer term would like to build up a 221 Rem Fireball as a walkaround varminter. I shoot at the range at least once a fortnight and hunt regularly.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Re: Tell me why I NEED a RCBS Chargemaster

Post by Ackley Improved »

Electronic powder measure is the only way now I feel!

You might be worried about spending the money on one now, but you will be glad after you have loaded a few hundred rounds.

I use the Lyman 1200, bought it when it first come out. I'd most likely buy the RCBS now.

I use a powder thrower to throw around 0.3grains under, and then get the Lyman to top it up! Super quick!

You can change the programming on the RCBS to make it quicker also.

Cheers
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

I was going to get one, but since i couldnt justify the cost I instead got an RCBS thrower. You can now get the stand for it that has a built in trickler. So i can now throw a charge just under weight and trickle it up in one easy motion without dicking around moving the pan to and from the scales. This has cut my loading time down to about a third of what it was.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Ive just got the RCBS rangemaster scales and I throw just under the weight and trickle up on the digital scales. I find it takes about 3 kernels of powder to change 0.1gr so as soon as it ticks over the the weight i want, I leave it that and seat the bullet. As accurate as i will ever need it.

The full chargemaster combo is a good idea if you can afford one though. Saves manually throwing then weighing.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I have a Harrel BR powder thrower,Harrel 90,Redding BR,and a couple of Lee perfect measures,if you want portability without worrying about a battery I would take a good culver type measure like the Harrels,the redding is sweet FA behind the Harrels as far as consistency goes and cheaper but not as nice to use :roll: .I sat down and threw 50x loads of BM2 and weighed them all on my 10/10 scales and there was a +-.4 of a grain variation which is not bad.
If you are using say BM1,BM2,2219,748,760,2205,2206H,up to and including 2208 they meter well,the BM's and such meter as smooth as silk................but if you use a powder that is any longer in the kernel than say ADI2208 it will crunch the powder.
The conventional throwers are plenty accurate enough..........maybe not accurate enough for LR target work but if you have been to a SRBR match in the last 10 years you will have seen plenty in use thats for sure,once again unless you can get a good second hand one here in AUS you would be better of getting a new or good second hand one from the states as I have done.
However I would like one of the Chargemasters for loading at home I reckon that they would be quiet ok and most likely the way of the future,I had a conversation with A.Elliot a couple of months ago and they were going to try one of the electronic measures to load at the range and if I am correct another forum member here was putting the battery packs together to run them..........he may chime in if I am correct.

Regards Chris.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

the only reason not to buy a chargemaster is cos you cant afford one!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Trevor T,maybe,maybe not,it depends on the good old wants/needs thing and the reliability side of things...bet mine still works long after the electronics have failed + I can clamp it to the tailgate/towbar where ever and use it......much more portable as well.

Regards Chris
Archer

Post by Archer »

Trevor T wrote:the only reason not to buy a chargemaster is cos you cant afford one!

I agree Trev.... cuts my loading time in half, and my most accurate loads to date came out of a standard loading session with the Chargemaster.

Wish I'd bought it when I first started drooling over it.....

then again, I would have paid retail for it instead of picking up a bargain from the states on eGay.

:)
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

I have the chargemaster combo. There is no way I could reload without one now.

My free loading mates who say you dont need one, used mine once and now come around to my house to reload so they can use it. If you cant afford it, then save longer until you can, they are great.
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Jasonf, Nothing wrong with either both will load plenty accurate enough for standard field hunting out to 300 mtrs and the speed in charging cases is arguable and definitely isn’t worth worrying about :wink: I use manual throwers and a chargemaster depends on what I’m doing and how I feel

Manual scales- you have to adjust the metering chamber before changing loads
Chargemaster- you need power and have to calibrate before every loading session
You choose which one you want to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

For high volume anal (.1 gr) loads and if you were only loading at home and money wasn't a problem the chargemaster would win, but for standard loading I would choose the manual thrower in my opinion, my harrell and redding 3br both throw within .3 of a grain all day long :wink: If its worth anything I would recommend a good manual thrower.

One word of warning buying off egay or from oversees direct is that they are not covered here by warranty and they do have quite a common electronic fault in them giving a 2008 error reading (or something like that) remember you may buy it cheaper but if its has a fault and is stuffed it's only worth the price of the left over bits (stuff all)

All the best
John
Werribee1

Post by Werribee1 »

Yes, I could make a few calls to LGSs , but does anyone know street cost of these units in Melb. at the moment.

Then again, my reloading has yet to start, have open offer from Mr .204, but weekends and life in general mean have very little time to take him up on longstanding generous offer. Also, as have sold our home and are renting, don't have a bench to fit Boss press.

Will be reloading from Hornet to .308.

Have purchased , in desperation a Lee Hand press. I'm no gorilla, but no blow away wimp either, despite being pen/keyboard pusher for job.

Does anyone know what max calibre the Lee Hand presses are practical too. Am big .222 and Swede fan ( + Hornet and K Hornet) and would have thought I would have enough strength :?: to use Lee Hand press for at least Hornet and .222.

Depending on price, given that would not be reloading mega rounds, and have x 2 sets of RCBS scales, courtesy new 505 from H.S.S and one from Ebay , find it difficult to justify cost of Chargemaster or other brands of non beam scales.

Also, with Hornet, had a bit of play round and would have thought would only use trickler to weigh rounds.

Always open to suggestions, esp if that Lee could handle my favourite deuce and Swede calibres.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Jason,

I have a Redding Master thrower and generally throw just under the desired charge then weigh & trickle, however I have just placed a Lyman 1000 on lay-bye. The idea is to do away with using the beam scales and hopefully get very consistent in regard to charging cases.

I was able to purchase these through Safari Arms for $250-

Also if you look in the recent Sinclair catalogue you will notice that 'MTM' are now manufacturing or 'badging' their own scales and at half the price of what you would pay for a brand name set.

Regards

Sean
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Werribee1 wrote: Have purchased , in desperation a Lee Hand press. I'm no gorilla, but no blow away wimp either, despite being pen/keyboard pusher for job.

Does anyone know what max calibre the Lee Hand presses are practical too. Am big .222 and Swede fan ( + Hornet and K Hornet) and would have thought I would have enough strength :?: to use Lee Hand press for at least Hornet and .222.

Depending on price, given that would not be reloading mega rounds, and have x 2 sets of RCBS scales, courtesy new 505 from H.S.S and one from Ebay , find it difficult to justify cost of Chargemaster or other brands of non beam scales.

Also, with Hornet, had a bit of play round and would have thought would only use trickler to weigh rounds.

Always open to suggestions, esp if that Lee could handle my favourite deuce and Swede calibres.
We bought the old man one and he loves it, he reloads for the 6.5 so you should be fine and the 222 being easy on brass is very easy through the press.

Got me thinking now, one of these would be handy when at the range and playing with seating depth.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

How much load development and testing do you do????

I now have the RCBS Chargemaster combo and I LOVE it. As I do a lot of load development it is brilliant. When you are only loading 5 cases at a certain weight and then going up .2 of a grain for another 5 a 'normal' thrower is a pain in the butt. You either end up hand weighing everything or trickling.

Now I just dump the powder in the resevoir and punch in the numbers ie 29.6 grains and away I go. I have tested its weights against an RCBS 502 and 505 scales, and lyman digital scales and I cannot get it to be out be even +/- 0.1 grain.

People will tell you that its slow but its not. I press "disp" dispense and thow that load into a case and sit the pan back on and press dispense again. By the time I have seated the bullet, wiped my fingerprints off the case and put the loaded round into my ammo box the next load is ready to go.

I can now get my 8yr old involved in the reloading process as its his job to punch in the weights and press dispense. He loves watching it do its thing.

It is easy to clean out when changing powders. My only critizism with the whole setup is the drain hole is only about 1 inch from the bottom of the machine. I put it up on a solid piece of I beam steel that allows me to get a 1 pound reloading jug under it.

I have seen dramas with the Lyman especially if the baffle is not inserted correctly or damaged and when changing powders.

Go the RCBS and you will love it.

cheers
chappo555
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Werribee1 wrote:.......Have purchased , in desperation a Lee Hand press. I'm no gorilla, but no blow away wimp either, despite being pen/keyboard pusher for job.

Does anyone know what max calibre the Lee Hand presses are practical too. Am big .222 and Swede fan ( + Hornet and K Hornet) and would have thought I would have enough strength :?: to use Lee Hand press for at least Hornet and .222......Always open to suggestions, esp if that Lee could handle my favourite deuce and Swede calibres.
G'day Werribee,

There is nothing wrong with a Lee hand press, they are very practical and quick to use and are ideal for those days out at the Range.

I have used one to reload thousands of rounds for the listed calibers .223, 22-250, 6mm 284, .308, 30-06 and 338 Winchester Magnum. You will have no problems using one for the .17, 204 or a .222 or the 6.5 Swede.

I do all of my reloading with one of these, however when we finally move the Rock Chucker and all of the other equipment will be set up.

Regards

Sean