.303 Cast lead loads?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Jethro
.17 HMR

.303 Cast lead loads?

Post by Jethro »

G,day All
I'm just about to start reloading some ex mil cases I have for general plinking and range fun with 180 grn Hawkesbry River lead pills. Has anyone done any reloading for .303 with lead projies? I have 2206, 2208, 2209, 2213, and reloder 15 on hand. Can anyone help out with a starting load :?: . Rifle is a #4mk1 Longbranch in good nic.
Cheers Jethro :wink:
Col. Pogy

Post by Col. Pogy »

Hello Jethro. Its been a long time since I've done what you are doing with the Enfield and I don't know your powders. But let me post a link to perhaps our premier source of high quality lead bullet shooting expertise regarding modern cartridge guns. Hope this helps.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ ,pogy :D
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Thanks COL Will have a look. :P
Cheers Jethro. :wink:
ammoandpowder

303 lead

Post by ammoandpowder »

13 gr of red dot. :D
JFE

Post by JFE »

Jethro,

I dont load cast for a 303 but have for several other calibres. I'm not familiar with these bullets however as a general rule if they arent of a gas check design (little copper cup fitted to the base) then you will generally be limited to 1400-1600 fps. If you drive them any faster and they start to lead then you have an unpleasant cleaning job to deal with. Cast bullets work best if limited to 35k pressures and sized 0.002 larger than groove diameter.

For this application a faster powder will probably work best. You may be able to use your 2206 but I suggest you approach ADI or the bullet manufacturer and ask then for a recommended load for the powders you have on hand that would give you 1400 fps and take it from there.

Let us know how you get on.

Joe
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Joe,
I have loaded up 20 rounds using Alliant 2400 starting at 16grns x10 & 17grns x10 no gas checks at this stage. This was the powder & loads recommended by some members of the Cast Boolit forum. Have not had time to shoot them yet. From what I have read you are right about keeping the velocity below about 1500 fps. Will let you know how I get on. Might give em the Bridgestone test first. :shock: (as described in cast boolits)
cheers Jethro :wink: