MY new best group at 500 meters....

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

MY new best group at 500 meters....

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Fellas,

Just thought I would post a pic of my new smallest group at 500 with a rifle built on a Mauser action chambered in .308. Admittedly it has a heavy Maddco Barrel and the scope is an old Lyman that has been boosted to 42X. I acquired this from Rinso (its clearer then my Nightforce).

The group was shot at Hornsby on Sunday during a practice session, it measured 2.632 inches (I know that the rifle is capable of better).

I would rather use this old rifle then my trued Remington, however Leanne informed me that I am not allowed to (even though it's mine). I think now that I will need have the Remington re-barreled to .308.

Regards

Sean
Attachments
Old Shooter Fly target 1.JPG
Old Shooter Fly target 1.JPG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Re: MY new best group at 500 meters....

Post by Simpson »

Good shooting :wink:

Who install the barrel etc?
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Simpson,

I'm not sure who installed the barrel, I have had the rifle out of the stock and there are no identifying marks to indicate who pieced it together (I bought the old girl from Horsley Park).

It initially started life out as a Big Bore rifle and I simply removed the hand stop and a couple of other things, not bad for a $500 rifle. I was using Sierra 155 grn Palm Match projectiles and 45.5 grns of Vihta Vuori N 150.

There was a bit of wind about and I shoot with-out flags. The pole smokers were also there on the week-end and each time they fired the smoke would drift along the firing line. The rain didn't help either and although we all got soaked (including our equipment) it was an extremely good day.

I am thinking that at the next shoot at Bateman's Bay we will leave the Remington at home and just take the two .308's.

Regards

Sean
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

Sean how do u reload? do u c.o.a.l. each progectale or check each accembeld round for it?or both

Kurcha
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Kurcha,

First of all I prep all my brass, flash holes, check overall length & trim & then full length resize.

I was using a set of beam scales but have since upgraded to a set of Lyman XP 1000's and have also since purchased a box of Nosler brass to burn through that old rifle, that group was shot using Federal Brass and un-weighed at that.

As for the projectiles, I haven't been weighing for either the 6mm 284 or the 308 as it was a long & drawn out process & attempting such task with a set of beam scales was very tedious.

For the charging process the method I use is to throw a grain under, weigh & then trickle up. I also inspect each projectile for disfiguration of the nose anything that looks a little odd is left aside. I also seat the projectiles firmly on the lans and then back off 10 thou.

Once I have loaded the set amount of rounds I then gauge cocentricity with an RCBS case master, hopefully there are at least 40 perfect rounds and having invested in a set of Redding Comp dies has been the best acquisition that I have made as I no longer load wonky rounds and if I do they are only ever out by 2-3 thou.

Since getting the Lyman scales anything that can be weighed has and I have since batched up all of my brass for the 6mm 284 and the other lot of Federal that was initially purchased for load development.

With the new brass and the Lyman scales I am hoping that I should be able to halve that group.

All the best.

Regards

Sean
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Jeepers - Rain, Wind, no flags and you still shot a 2.6 inch group :shock:

Well done again :wink:
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Very good Sean, bet your stokked. :wink:
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Nice one Sean
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Jeeze, with that sort of accuraccy, you will have to go to the Gosford prize shoot. 3x 500Y matches. With that powder, you will be in F open.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Nice shooting there Sean :wink:
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Thanks fellas. It's quiet astonishing what you can achieve with old clunkers.

This is the rifle that Leanne has since claimed. I may send the base back with Shane to have an additional 30 minutes of angle set.

F class is a discipline that I certainly intend to try at a later stage, it seems to have a large participation rate, more so then bench.

Regards

Sean