The basics

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
SWIPER

The basics

Post by SWIPER »

Fellas, if I decide to give reloading a try, what would I need.

The cals I might be interested in are 221 or 17 fireballs.

Am I right in thinking that I need;

A reloading press = $150
Die set = $60
Cases = will start out buying factory and keep the spent cases
Primers =
Projectiles =
Powder =

**prices from Western Firearms ad on reloading page of used guns website.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: The basics

Post by adamjp »

For basic reloading of small cases like that you can easily get by with a Lee press. Try for one with the O frame design (a large ring) rather than the other designs. Some will tell you that the cast aluminium frame is not very good. If you are doing large cases, it is not big enough, but for 222/223 and 243/308 sized cases it is enough.

Try to get a Lee kit like the 50th Anniversary or the Challenger as it will have the press, scales and priming system for the cases.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog ... ersaryPack
The Lee collet dies are very good for most uses, but are not available in your desired calibres.

The only part of the Lee system that most dislike is the scales - they are pretty much the bottom end of the available products but do work.

As a minimum you will need.....
Press
Priming system
Scales
Dies
Powder trickler
Powder Funnel

A reloading block is not absolutely necessary, but really handy. You can see that the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit set has pretty much all this for $229 from Western Firearms.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

powder scales are a must. A powder funnel is a must.
a powder thrower and trickler are very very use useful. In fact most would say you should have a thrower.

You need to chamfer case mouths so a chamfer tool is necessary. You need to clean primer pockets so a primer pocket cleaner is needed. you need a tool to prime your cases

Your cases eventually strectch, you will need some way to measure (verniers) and a trimmer to bring them back to length

Buy a set of dies and an rcbs rockchucker kit and build from there. If you buy a Lee kit and then find you really get into it you will be upgrading it later.

Where abouts in melbourne are you. Happy to help. We could all post heaps of things that you "need" and debate which way and which tool is best to get the result but its easier to be shown as its not really that complicated. I am the worlds biggest clutz. If I can do it anyone can!!!!
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Hi Swiper,Mate buy the best gear you can afford.It saves in the long run as Trevort said.
If its green it's good(RCBS or redding) are my picks.
Reloading is worth the effort,you'll get the cost savings and usually better accuracy then factories.
Have a good one,
Macca
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

once you have tried mine- or TrevorT's you can see what you like and dont and will be ina position to decide a lot better on what sort of investment you wnat to make in a re-loading setup

but my advice is this -buy once cry once- buy the best you can affors straight up and just enjoy

Because what you might need to just load one cartridge can/will be different than the gear you might want to purchase if you are going to get a heap more rifles and load for 20 different cartridges
I have some trays here you can have to get you started

P
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Here's where I put in my plug for the RCBS Partner press kit if you find the Rockchucker kit a bit pricey. The Partner press is smaller than the Rockchucker but does the job well.
The best thing you can do is check it out first hand being shown the ropes by someone who knows what they are doing, that'll help you a lot with deciding what to buy. I reckon once you see reloading first hand you'll be hooked.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

yes, I just bought a "partner" for my Rockchucker as since I have an assistant now we can both be doing something. I'm happy with it. I'll still use the rockchucker to FLS wsm cases tho.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

As Macca said if its green its good, I have a "partner" press and haven't had a hassle with it though it takes a little more effort to FLS larger cases.(WSM in particular)
Buy the best you can afford, save a little extra and get the RCBS kit. My cousin went out and bought the Lee kit and it's too flimsy and nasty. He cracked the press and ended up turfing the lot and upgraded.
I used the Lee collet neck dies, they are good but you need to upgrade the lock rings and I also have a Lee auto prime. Thats as far as my association with Lee stuff goes.
(Felt weird typing that as my name is Lee!)
siacci

Post by siacci »

When I decided to start reloading I bought a Lyman kit. It had the press, scales, block to sit the cases in, oil pad and oil. As extras I bought a powder thrower and stand, dies, a lee hand primer and a tumbler. Cost 700 or so but have made lots and lots of ammo.

I then bought other stuff by the piece as I needed it.Now I have shit loads of stuff but starting out stick to the basics.

Dave
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Im another one for getting the Lynman Rockcrusher kit

In it you gte everything you need to start off. Then at a later date, you just buy yourself an RCBS Chargemaster Combo, if your loading lots of cases that is.

As others have said, if its green its good, certainly if you can afford it buy RCBS or Redding dies.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

I agree that RCBS makes really good reloading kit. My Rockchucker has worked for the last 20 years without an issue, all the supporting cast are RCBS too. But bloody hell they are pricey today - this is why I suggested the Lee kit.
cruisey
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .303

Post by cruisey »

Swiper,

I bought the lee challenger kit, the scales are not the best & I will be looking at digital in the future, but the lee supplied ones do ok for starters

The powder measure is a little tricky to set up, but once you nut it out, it's fine.

The priming tool is ok, I have been using the one that slots into the press more though.

The die sets are top notch, well made & the 1/3 thread locking system is really good.

The press itself is really sturdy & again well made.

All in all a good setup for the price & a good setup for starting out, the scales let it down, otherwise fine

Cheers, Dave.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Model70 wrote:. My cousin went out and bought the Lee kit and it's too flimsy and nasty. He cracked the press and ended up turfing the lot and upgraded.

Mine broke and was welded together twice, my mate snapped the handle off the priming tool

Green is good!!!!!
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Also, do away with the lube and the lube pad and get a can of the Hornady Oneshot case lube.
You can lube 50 cases in 4 seconds!
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

trevort wrote:
Model70 wrote:. My cousin went out and bought the Lee kit and it's too flimsy and nasty. He cracked the press and ended up turfing the lot and upgraded.

Mine broke and was welded together twice, my mate snapped the handle off the priming tool

Green is good!!!!!
The cuz broke his FLS for his 300 win mag. The little partner does it with no hassles though!