New tumbler owner

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

New tumbler owner

Post by Brad Y »

Dont know how i lived without one. Ooooh shiny BR brass.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Re: New tumbler owner

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Well which one did you get ?

Tip of the day, don't spill your moly powder into the media! :lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I dont moly mate, never had the need to.

Its the smart reloader one. Not as cheap as the latest prices in the sporting shooter mag, but i did my bit for the local shop. $125 and it came with a bag of media.

Anyone know how long you are supposed to leave the cases in for? And what media is best overall?
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Leave the cases in until you are happy with them mate. Only using a bit of electricity.

I use Lyman Green corncob media. Brings cases up nice and shiny, works pretty quickly providing you don't overload the tumbler. It is pre-treated so nothing to add to it, it just works. Bought a 10lb box of the stuff can't remember how many years ago and still got enough for a couple of refills of the tumbler.
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Like hiwall said.
Leave the cases in until you are happy with them mate. Only using a bit of electricity.
Generally an hour or more depends on how grubby you let them get :wink:

All the best
John
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Question? Are they noisy?

My reloading bench is in my loungeroom so will it be something I turn on just before going to bed or will it be quiet enough not to disturb the kids and me?

Dr G
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

There was an interesting point raised on another forum which has lead me to put my tumbler out on the verandah and run it outside mate. Primers etc leave some chemical residue in the cases which becomes dust (mercury to be specific), and this can be released into the air while the tumbler is operating even though most of them have lids.

Especially where kids are going to be in the near vicinity I think it prudent that the things not be run inside - probably not an issue but better to be safe than sorry.

As for noise, I quite often forget mine - brass gets real shiny after 2 1/2 days tumbling. :oops:
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

HiWall wrote:There was an interesting point raised on another forum which has lead me to put my tumbler out on the verandah and run it outside mate. Primers etc leave some chemical residue in the cases which becomes dust (mercury to be specific), and this can be released into the air while the tumbler is operating even though most of them have lids.
Outside it is then
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Stuff like the 9mm gets a couple of hours with only a couple of hundred cases in the tumbler...when I'm doing bigger stuff with the tumbler quite full and polish added to the media, I'll run it for several hours or even overnight.

Mine is in the shed outside - no way would I run it overnight in the house, as they are not quiet!
Last edited by jeffk on Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Dr G wrote:
HiWall wrote:There was an interesting point raised on another forum which has lead me to put my tumbler out on the verandah and run it outside mate. Primers etc leave some chemical residue in the cases which becomes dust (mercury to be specific), and this can be released into the air while the tumbler is operating even though most of them have lids.
Outside it is then

Yeah mate out in your shed is good. It's a very good excuse to get away from the other half :lol:

Tumbler on for 2 hours works for me...
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

tikka wrote:Yeah mate out in your shed is good. It's a very good excuse to get away from the other half :lol:

Sheds not so useful up this way, summer time its 45+ in the shade so shed temp is just plain ordinary. Also ex missus is long gone and the new one is hot so no desire to be away from her at all :wink:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Brad,

Like you I don't know how I managed with-out one for so long, they are a sensational piece of kit.

I have only had mine for about a month but have used it at least a dozen times. I was told to pour some Brasso (at least a third of a bottle) in there to help with the clean, Mal has been using his with-out and I had left 50 of my cases with him (prior to getting my tumbler) and he had them on almost all day and they weren't clean.

Half hour in my Lyman with Brasso and presto, shiny brass.

I was also told that the corn based media (the type used in blasting) is the best to use and much cheaper then that which is bought from a Gunshop.
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Dr G wrote:
tikka wrote:Yeah mate out in your shed is good. It's a very good excuse to get away from the other half :lol:

Sheds not so useful up this way, summer time its 45+ in the shade so shed temp is just plain ordinary. Also ex missus is long gone and the new one is hot so no desire to be away from her at all :wink:
Lucky you mate, good on ya for finding a hot one :wink: goes with the weather hey!

Yes that heat you mentioned, it would be a bitch to reload in too.. sounds like it's an indoor affair in the cool :D
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

HiWall wrote:Primers etc leave some chemical residue in the cases which becomes dust (mercury to be specific), and this can be released into the air while the tumbler is operating even though most of them have lids.
I think you will find mercury hasn't been used in primers for decades. Lead is the problem hence a number of manufacturers making lead free primers. The lead becomes airborne when tumbling without a lid and when sifting cases from media. Airbourne particals are much more easly absorbed into the body especially when inhaled.
Simply a matter of running it and sifting in a well venilated area.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

220 wrote:....I think you will find mercury hasn't been used in primers for decades....
Absolutely correct. I read an article on this and attempted to find it but couldn't, however it may be in Volume 3 of the Vihta Vuori reloading manual.

Mercury has not been used since the turn of the century in either military grade ammunition or that which is commercially manufactured.

The old tale that military grade ammunition will cause corrosion is a myth, perhaps at the turn of the last century but not these days- unless of course it was discovered by some Ukrainian potato farmer whilst plowing a field.

The gritty residue that you can feel on your fingers and observe on a patch when cleaning is actually glass, this somehow is used as a substitute for Mercury.