Case cleaning

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Jeff 8
.22 WMR

Case cleaning

Post by Jeff 8 »

What is the best way to clean a case that is too big to fit in the tumbler, (105mm)? I have done it the hard way, lots of Brasso and Autosol, but there must be an easier way, as I have four to do as well as a 6 pounder.

Jeff

:rifle2: :rifle:
Model70
25/06 Remington

Re: Case cleaning

Post by Model70 »

Try a polishing place that does car parts and the like in particular aluminium pieces, they use what is basically a big tumbler but the media used is pumice stone and it turns out real nice. There used to be a fella at Beverly Hills where I had some rocker covers, thermostat housings and various odds and ends done but he's not there anymore.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Birchwood casey brass wash- I dont have a tumbler and I use it on my 22BRX brass. Not expensive and a bottle will last a long time.
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

I heard rubbing down with White vinegar works too. Haven't tried it myself though.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day All.
birchwood casey "lead out cloth" work beautifully on brass (and most other metals too). but you still need elbow grease...........

Cheerio ned
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

A cement mixer and gravel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, If your goin to keep them you might as well get use to polishing just line them up with your boots and when your done with them start on the brass :D

All the best
John
joel0407

Post by joel0407 »

480 seconds with 50/50 vinigar and water in a ultrasonic cleaner. Make sure you rinse vingar off well otherwise they will turn black then 240 second with the birchwood casey brass cleaner.
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

joel0407 wrote:480 seconds with 50/50 vinigar and water in a ultrasonic cleaner. Make sure you rinse vingar off well otherwise they will turn black then 240 second with the birchwood casey brass cleaner.

It must be a big arsed ultrasonic to fit a 105 shell in :shock: :shock: :shock:
joel0407

Post by joel0407 »

Wiz wrote:
joel0407 wrote:480 seconds with 50/50 vinigar and water in a ultrasonic cleaner. Make sure you rinse vingar off well otherwise they will turn black then 240 second with the birchwood casey brass cleaner.

It must be a big arsed ultrasonic to fit a 105 shell in :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think it was 105mm long case not 105 cases and mine takes about 1 ltr and is only a cheapy from Ebay. I have seen them much bigger 5lts plus.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Joel,

Read the last few words in the original question
" as I have four to do as well as a 6 pounder".I reckon the case he is asking about would hold more fluid than your cleaner :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Regards Chris
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

I just use general purpose thinners to wash the insides of the cases out with an inside brushing for them if I feel really motivated and they are particularly manky, then if I want them all nice & shiny, they'll get a *light* hit on the buffing wheel, about 10-15 seconds per case on the wheel is about the max when taking it slow with regards to twisting of the case on the wheel, normally, just lightly push against the wheel on the neck & shoulder and twist until shiny, then onto the body, push and twist until shiny, then again around the head, another wash in the GP thinners and let them dry on a towel.
joel0407

Post by joel0407 »

chris.tyne wrote:Joel,

Read the last few words in the original question
" as I have four to do as well as a 6 pounder".I reckon the case he is asking about would hold more fluid than your cleaner :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Regards Chris
Got it 105mm calibre :shock: not 105mm long case. Still you can get some pretty big ultrasonic cleaners but I dont think you would want to pay that much just to clean a few cases.

I guess these pics aren't much good then. :roll: Just took them.

25 x 300 rum cases.

These have been deprimed, cleaned with vinigar and the the birchwood case, neck sized, case length checked, debured and now they are just being washed to remove case lube then they are ready for reloading.
Jeff 8
.22 WMR

Post by Jeff 8 »

The cases are from a 105mm Hamel gun. They were polished up to be presented to people, and I did it the hard way, they were covered in gunk inside and out from the cordite charges. The 6 Pounder case is half done waiting on time and enthusiasm.

Jeff
:rifle2: :rifle:
Attachments
45142695.jpg
joel0407

Post by joel0407 »

Yep, didn't think I could shoulder that one! :lol:
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »