IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE MOLY COATED VS NON COATED

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
TEX
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE MOLY COATED VS NON COATED

Post by TEX »

Giday all
I have been using the hoardy v-max moly 50grn with 26grns of bm2 at an oal of 2.250
and been gettin groups of 12mm at 100mtrs out of my sako 461 in 223 rem cal.
My question is has anybody noticed any difference between molycoated bullets to non coated bullets as i picked up a box today of non coated and cursed when i got home as to return them is an hour and half away and the foxes are getting there fair quoter of lambs at the moment and im a bit firghtened that they will change my winning combination and havent got time to do some bullet work with them at the moment, as dropped a foxlast night at 350mtrs aimed just at the top of his eyes and hit him stright down the throat 30mm drop at that distance not many will get away if i do my part. So i ask if any of you AV people have done any work on this subbject.
Cheers Tex
:rifle2:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE MOLY COATED VS NON COATED

Post by macca »

Tex with the same powder load the non moly will be faster.It usually takes a bit more powder to get molyed to the same fps as naked projectiles.
I'd always rework the load myself.
If you try it you'll have a poi probably a fraction higher due to the increase in fps.Your still well in the safe range powder load wise.Accuracy?(probably won't be a lot in it?)

Hope it works out okay,I know how frustrating losing lambs is.
Macca
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

well first of all it takes to foul the barrel alot longer so u can shoot more before cleaning , but molys dont tolerate coper in the barrel at all bore has to be spotless then ucan accurately shoot'em they claim to reduce pressures with same charges too . :wink:
TEX

Post by TEX »

Thanks Macca it took me a while and a lot of fine tuning to get it to there , and i can't really increase the oal as its at the max that i can eject the load at and i dont want to stuff it up this time of year as the buggers are cagey enough now with no real cover around for them to prop. they give you one look and if your not ready on the second there off and they like stretching the barrel this year.
TEX

Post by TEX »

kurcha wrote:well first of all it takes to foul the barrel alot longer so u can shoot more before cleaning , but molys dont tolerate coper in the barrel at all bore has to be spotless then ucan accurately shoot'em they claim to reduce pressures with same charges too . :wink:
Thank you to kurcha i have noticed that the barrel is running a lot cleaner when i used the molycoated v-max
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE MOLY COATED VS NON COATEDPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Yep the moly ones have this black crap oll over them and the non moly ones look like normal bullets. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Tex, I've had a few sherbets, dont listen to me. :roll:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I was using both moly coated projectiles and non moly at the last fly shoot at Bateman's Bay.

Both were of the same weight and make. Hornady A-Max 105 grn.

I noticed that with the moly coated projectiles there was more verticle, this was reflected on my targets, I did not realise that there would be a difference between the two types of projectiles until having to fire the non moly projectiles.

I spent the next two details in the clubhouse scrubbing this stuff from the projectiles.

I am not convinced that moly is a lubricant. I am inclined to think that moly projectiles cause more friction and that the coating increases pressure enabling higher velocities.

According to a circular distributed some time ago by Krupp, engineers and manufacturers of hydraulic machinery and who are credited with the distinction of providing artillery barrels during the second world war, Moledium Disulphide is an abrasive.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Moly will decrease the pressure due to less friction,lower velocities with same charge weights.

Regards Chris.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Moly or bare bullets that is the question ... Lets stop speculating about this ..

Fact
If you fired identically loaded moly & non moly coated bullets you would find that the moly coated bullet is travelling SLOWER and has generated less pressure in the chamber. This is because of the lubricating effect.

Sean,

What you found using a mix of bullets is that wind had a larger effect on the moly coated bullets .. thats because they are travelling at a lower velocity, the vertical was caused by the same phenomen which would have resulted in a change in zero .. simple as that.
I dont think anyone would advocate using mixed bullets in a match anyway.
I spent the next two details in the clubhouse scrubbing this stuff from the projectiles.
Unless you scrubbed the moly out of your barrel as well you were only wasting your time.

The benfits of moly are based around the ability to run the rifle longer between cleanings eg with my old 300 WM barrel I could shoot an entire Fly match without cleaning using moly bullets and not see an difference in accuracy. Using bare bullets I had to clean every 2nd or at most 3rd target.
The other advantage is that the drop in pressure and subsequently in muzzle velocity meant I could use more powder (no real major benefit in velocity). What this did allow me to do was run close to 100% load density, which I prefer to do.
I also managed 1628 rounds out of a moly barrel when previous barrels had passed on around the 1100 mark. Might not seem much but at 50 rounds per Fly match and 30 per 1000 yd match thats about 18 months - 2 years extra shooting on that barrel.

Either way each to his own .. I see no accuracy benefit in moly but it has other benefits IMHO. I use moly in some target rifles and not in others depends what the rifle prefers, I would not bother with moly in a hunting rifle.

by the way Sean .. everything you put down the barrel is abrasive.

cheers
Rinso

Moledium Disulphide is an abrasive.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Rinso,I concur,well put.

Regards Chris.
TEX

Post by TEX »

Thank you to all that replied you have given plenty of food for thought on the matter
just about to a run around the paddocks so wiil give the crops a run first and try the non coated on some big vermen to see how they hit before i go around the ewes and chase the red dogs let you know how they go thanks again
cheers tex
TEX

Post by TEX »

Found time to put the rifle on paper and found that the non coated shot about 6mm higher than the coated at the same zero still shot the same group bloody ripper thanks again to everyones input. As for the fox population 8 less that other night and one that i think is off to see Bert Newton to borrow a wig as the first shot at him with non coated i sighted up around the bottom of the eyes and took the shot and scalped him just over the 100 mtr mark as there was evendince of a hit but no wear to be seen even in daylight when i walked the block.
cheers Tex
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Hi Tex,glad that worked out for you.
Give the basils hell :auto:
Macca