Reloading newby please help

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
mick204
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Reloading newby please help

Post by mick204 »

I am looking at starting to reload my 204 as i have not done this before i am aftre as much info as possible on the ideal starters kit and even some rough figures as to what this venture may set me back??

Also would it be viable to buy some second hand gear to get me started??

Thanks Mick
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Re: Reloading newby please help

Post by Mevo2230 »

Where abouts are you located mate? A friendly Ausvarmint member who is local to you may offer to show you the ins and out's of rolling your own.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Thats a good thought Mevo, I wish I had someone that could of spent a few hours beside me on the bench when I was starting out.

Mick I brought myself a Hornady kit that came with evrything you need to get started, I think it was about $580 thats about 5 years ago, but our dollar has gone up heaps since then. There are cheaper kits and dearer, I dont know which is the best I just bought a hornady kit cause its red.
I wouldnt hesitate to buy 2nd hand, there's a lot of good gear out there that people have lost interest in and can be bought very cheap. :wink:
Last edited by Knackers on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Lee anniversary kit has to be the way to go! You get everything you need to get started for the least amount of $ and you can build on it from there. If you love reloading and get into seriously you will upgrade all your gear later on.... :hunting:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

How much do want to spend? I started with the Lee anniversary kit, a set of rcbs dies, powder trickler and kingchrome verniers from bunnings. Made some very accurate 204 ammo.

I sold the lee kit and upgraded to the RCBS rockchucker supreme kit whan I wanted to get serious about it (well try to anyway!)
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

I just bought a hornady kit cause its red.
And the red ones go faster eh Knackers :mrgreen:

Jethro again
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

A picture of my bitza reloading outfit.
Bitza reloading centre
Bitza reloading centre
RCBS partner press, Redding dies, Lee powder thrower, rcbs beam scales, lee trimmers, Sierra manual. Junk under bench :oops:
Jethro agian :wink:
mick204

Post by mick204 »

Thanks for the info guys Mevo i live in Penrith and if there is a n Aus Varmint member that would show me the rope i would really appericate it
I will look at the starter kits and then built on it from there
Dave i will take a look at the lee kit thanks for that

Cheers Mick
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

And the red ones go faster eh Knackers
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

G'day Mick204,
Reloading equipment is something that should last you your lifetime, so IMO don't scrimp on it if you can. someone else said recently on this forum- "buy cheap, buy twice". Either shoot factory ammo and save up, or reload at a mates place if that is an option (I spent 3 years doing that!) and save up. I started wth a mix of lyman, lee & RCBS gear. I took the lee dies back (for the money back guarantee, afraid they were rubbish) and sold the rest, with the exception of the Lee auto prime which isn't too bad. I have all Redding gear now, wish i'd just fronted the bucks to start with. If you bought a RCBS rockchucker or Redding big boss kit, that would be a great starting point, you can get the other gadgets (eg case trimmers, digi scales) as you go along. Buy a big press whatever you do, then you won't be caught out if someday you buy a cannon that uses big cartridges!
mick204

Post by mick204 »

Well guys i finally got my Reloading gear i Brought a Lyman Expert reloading Delux kit with a Turret Press XP 100 scales and what i have been told is most everything i need to get started ( is this correct was told by sales man at LGS)

Also got Hornady dies in 204 and 223. what i would like some advice on is some powders to get me started for both of these calibers.

Also got some 40 V max Projectiles for my 204

Cheers Mick :rifle:
Herbs

Post by Herbs »

I'm just about to start reloading too, first thing I've bought before any actual loading gear is Nick Harvey's reloading manual, it's quite interesting. If you don't have it, get it.
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

Mick,
for both those cartridges BM2 and or AR2206H are good choices IMHO. I can't tell you much about other brands, like many aussie shooters I tend to use AR powders as they are aussie made and offer best stability (pressure variation) for our climatic conditions
Happy reloading.
Yeah herbs, Uncle Nicks reloading book is my main (though not only) reference. That and the ADI reloading booklet are a good starting point :wink:
mick204

Post by mick204 »

Thanks feral i have just ordered Nicks Book they did not have it when i picked up my gear.

Cheers Mick :rifle:
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

Hi Mick,

I'm just up the M4 at Lapstone, if you need some help with the process shoot me a PM or I can send you my mobile number if needs (i'm not a competition loader, just for bunny busting)

talk soon

Meat