Round nose 30 cal bullet's in Tikka T3's

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Round nose 30 cal bullet's in Tikka T3's

Post by sometime shooter »

Hi all haven't posted a lot lately but have a question for the brains trust. Any of you out there who have 30 cal Tikka's have you loaded up any round nose or flat point bullet's, wondering on if they have any feeding issue's.????
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: Round nose 30 cal bullet's in Tikka T3's

Post by Dr G »

I have used the Woodleigh 220gn in my 30-06 without any problems. I reckon I have probably chambered between 100 and 150 of these rounds as I originally loaded 200 and have just over 50 left.

The thing I have noticed with the Tikka T3 is that the action is slick as duck shit and it can load a round from the magazine if you suddenly point the muzzle to the ground with the bolt fully open.

When hunting with the 30-06 I either have the bolt closed on an empty chamber or bolt open and thumb firmly planted in the ejection port while carrying it

Dr G
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Yeah I know I have three 8 twist 223, 6.5x55 which is the slickest of the 3 and a 30/06. my usual method is bolt closed on empty chamber and de cocked at the same time. It's a pity that the mag length is too short in the 223 and long cal's needing to seat projectiles so deep to fit in the magazine. So what are you using the 220's on, Camel's. You still out in SA, used to really enjoy reading your nightly fox and cat adventures.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

sometime shooter wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:24 pm Yeah I know I have three 8 twist 223, 6.5x55 which is the slickest of the 3 and a 30/06. my usual method is bolt closed on empty chamber and de cocked at the same time. It's a pity that the mag length is too short in the 223 and long cal's needing to seat projectiles so deep to fit in the magazine. So what are you using the 220's on, Camel's. You still out in SA, used to really enjoy reading your nightly fox and cat adventures.
220's were for Camels and Donkeys, as you say they give up a bit of poke to seat them into the magazine on the T3.

Still in SA but down in the Barossa now. I still work out bush but don't get anywhere the spotlight time I would like. I used to like writing of the nightly fox and cat adventures too, but I would be making things up at the moment if I did :(

New years resolution this year will be to shoot more I think :D
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Yeah I know the feeling, I moved down to my wife's family farm almost 6 years ago now and work for the old man which let's just say has it's moments at times. have been getting a few pigs of late, when state forest is cutting down the pines to the south and the bastards know where your sheep feeders are it's a right mess at times.