Is anyone running a slow twist 6mmBR?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Is anyone running a slow twist 6mmBR?

Post by Seddo »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you are running slow twist 6mmBR's for varmint shooting?

I have a spare 14 twist Lilja coming (it was in stock looking lonely) and I've been thinking what I can do with it. I have a howa action sitting there and the idea of a 6mmBR to shoot 58gr vmax sounds like a good idea. The google'ing I did tonight show people quoting 3400-3800fps so they will be dynamite on little things.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Is anyone running a slow twist 6mmBR?

Post by BP72 »

Thought you banned yourself from owning anything that wasn't a full custom seddo? The idea has merit though !
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Seddo

I have just had a no turn and no freebore 6BR reamer arrive for the same purpose. Just got to order a barrel. Planning on sticking the single shot follwer into the rem again and just running it as a single shot varmint busting machine. Would have no hesitation shooting anything from goat size down with it.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

BP72 wrote:Thought you banned yourself from owning anything that wasn't a full custom seddo? The idea has merit though !
Not quite, I told myself to not buy anymore factory actions or donor rifles. I can do semi customs. The howa barrelled action, and a couple more mod70's, is already in the safe, I have a pic rail and AICS style stock so it's only missing a decent barrel to stop it being a pile of parts. I can't live with a factory sporter profile pope barrel.

Brad,
I tried a repeater on a mod70 and it didn't extract very well, I think it will with a Sako extractor but that's a job for later. The cases didn't sit on the extractor most of the time, with a Sako extractor the mouth of the case won't go into the raceways and they should stay under spring tension long enough to extract. I know a 6mmBR will feed and extract through a howa so that's why I was thinking of using it.

I was getting 58gr vmax doing 3100 fps out of a 18" 10t barrel and shooting around 1" at 300 yards. With a longer barrel and slower twist I should be able to crank the velocity quite a bit.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

A friend used to run 70's at 3400 in 26 inch varmint rifle. 3600 with a 55 will do fine I reckon.

6 dasher feeds well enough from the rem 700 with 308 AI mag. Yes the sako extractor is what is needed. But it works well enough. Just looking at the straight BR as something that doesnt need case prep and doesnt have much in the way of muzzle flip.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

I've got a set of br dies and some once and twice fired cases so it's not a hard decision.

I'll do a dasher one day but not on this one.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

It didnt take long to sort that one out, spoke to Luke and he has a suitable reamer so i will get it done.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Seddo.. if it's based off the BR case is doesn't matter what you do it will work. Pretty sure a corn kernel hand picked from poo and loaded into that case will still shoot in the .3's at worst!

Wyatts make a BR mag box... might work out okay for the remo action or repeater clones?? I am looking for a custom action for a varminter, thinking a Beggs in 22 or 6mm. Only needs to go to 300m!
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

I'm having a switch barrel PPC built on a Predater single shot. I ordered a Viper for the build when i was told they were working on some but after a few years i gave in and grabbed a predator when they made some. I will still do a Viper Drop Port when they get around to finishing them but who knows what year that will be.

GregT in canberra made a howa in 6mmBR and got it to feed from plastic 223 mags, i was able to get them to feed from 5 round AI mags as well so it should be fairly easy.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Seddo wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you are running slow twist 6mmBR's for varmint shooting?

I have a spare 14 twist Lilja coming (it was in stock looking lonely) and I've been thinking what I can do with it. I have a howa action sitting there and the idea of a 6mmBR to shoot 58gr vmax sounds like a good idea. The google'ing I did tonight show people quoting 3400-3800fps so they will be dynamite on little things.
I was toying with putting a short ex-Benchrest 1:14 on my Stiller Predator in 6mm Dasher for the same thing, and keeping the 1:8 Kreiger in 243AI for longer stuff when needed. Looking at what you can get 58gn ZMax for in 500 packs, it makes it even more worth it!
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

I've got 1 or 2 boxes of zmax, you can't beat them for value.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Got a couple of hundred nosler 55's here to try but yes the Zmax are a bloody tempting projectile to use price wise.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I have a few 1:14 barrels chambered 6BR,they are great as varminters and with 70gners 3400..............and a bit more fps can be done.
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Seddo ive run 6 br 14 twist for years for varmints , 58 vmax around 3500 ,there is no way i could get to 3800 without stuffing cases , 55 btips around 3600 ,70 btips at 3400 ,this is the bullet to use i reckon , ive played with them all on paper out to 400 yds and these hold up the best in every department and kill well
Last edited by mistit on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I run 69 grainers in a 1 in 14 twist.

I get around 3200 fps.