LGS rant

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

LGS rant

Post by BP72 »

Went into the LGS as I hadn't been to town for a month or so , dunno when I'll next get to town , ran around getting supplies and parts for work , thought I'd duck in and grab some powder. Lobbed up to the counter did the usual chit chat thing asked about some 2206h or even 8208 and I got a nope , how about bm1 ? Well I dug out the phone , pulled up adi data for the 204 , I'm will use the same powder in the 223 , you guessed it 204 data doesn't mention bm1, asked if there was another breed of powder that might suit . Owner went out the back , came back , all we got is 2213 that's it .
Owner said oh we got a $4000 order coming from QLD got 10 kg of 8208 in it , so I thought I'd ask when it's due ? Dunno maybe 2-3 weeks haven't ordered out of QLD before , didn't offer to put some aside for me , all I got was do you want us to give you a ring when it gets in cause the 8208 goes fast . How can a business be run this way ? A gun shop with no powder for a month in a town with 20000+ people ! I almost drove another hour to a little known shop that usually has a heap of powder and cheap too , but I would have to make a special trip and really I had to get back to work .
You blokes in smaller towns on the eastern states don't get shat on by the lgs like this do you ?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: LGS rant

Post by chris.tyne »

Yup......your not Robinson crusoe bye any stretch of the imagination.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

I blame nioa
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Re: LGS ra

Post by Flip »

Yep... Put my name on the list for back ordered components never got a call next I went in I asked why and was told you weren't on the list... Bullshit.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

GriMo wrote:I blame nioa

yep its gotta be them
BP72
22-250 Remington

Post by BP72 »

Yep bloody Noia , how about adi's form, bastards sell 8208 in the US for $25/lb !
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

GriMo wrote:I blame nioa
Hehe do I hear the tin opener opening a can of worms? :lol:
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

BP72 wrote: Owner said oh we got a $4000 order coming from QLD got 10 kg of 8208 in it , so I thought I'd ask when it's due ? Dunno maybe 2-3 weeks haven't ordered out of QLD before , didn't offer to put some aside for me , all I got was do you want us to give you a ring when it gets in cause the 8208 goes fast .
So what does $4,000 buy. Retail I'm guessing that equates to about 50kg order. Benchmark 8208 only comes in 1kg containers and it's making up a 1/5th of the order. I'm guess they would be lucky to stock a 4kg keg of anything with only 40kg remaining on the order.

LGS stock is half the reason shooters try and choose 1 or 2 powders to load all their centrefire rifles with, so at least they can by a 4kg keg at the time. Form what I've seen of some remote LGS's, they're basically just set-up to support the local roo/pro shooters and all the other customers are covering the costs.
Harb
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Harb »

Its still a transport issue I believe....... that mixed with the demand means its hard to get
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

I tried to get some in a local store which isn't a recognised gs and was told he was unable to get any more. The rules had changed and he wasn't allowed to hold it anymore.
Pity really, as his price was always a bit better than others I've dealt with.
So, it may not be nioa or adi or???.
Just the way things are going these days.
Lucky I've got a bit of a supply on hand.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Do you honestly believe the shop doesn't want to have powder so they can't sell it to you. Fair dinkum. A change in distributer, a high demand in the US and dangerous goods freight changes have all had an impact on supply.

I know its easy to bag any LGS but just step back and have a think about the real issues. I know we try and order powder 6 months in advance but you can still get caught short. We sold out of 4kg lots of 2208 in the space of a week and that was our six month order.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

chappo555 wrote:I know its easy to bag any LGS but just step back and have a think about the real issues. I know we try and order powder 6 months in advance but you can still get caught short. We sold out of 4kg lots of 2208 in the space of a week and that was our six month order.
Yep, just see what happens if someone starts a simple rumour about a powder, primer or projectile shortage. Doesn't even have to be across the board, can even be a single product like AR2208 or Winchester Power Points. Shooters don't react well to change and tend to panic, but we seem to be becoming more flexible the more frequently we get shafted.
BP72
22-250 Remington

Post by BP72 »

Yep, just see what happens if someone starts a simple rumour about a powder, primer or projectile shortage. Doesn't even have to be across the board, can even be a single product like AR2208 or Winchester Power Points. Shooters don't react well to change and tend to panic, but we seem to be becoming more flexible the more frequently we get shafted.[/quote]

They did have 204 ammo on the shelf , don't recall what brand was previously told it was the good stuff , price $52 a packet of 20
WARDY91
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by WARDY91 »

They did have 204 ammo on the shelf , don't recall what brand was previously told it was the good stuff , price $52 a packet of 20[/quote]

It would want to reload its self at least once for that sorta coin.
BP72
22-250 Remington

Post by BP72 »

Exactly , some of our locals are going over your way WARDY91, might have to get one of them to do a raid on your lgs in Busso ! It's a cracker I reckon