Full or Part neck Size?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
dan_351
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260 soon

Full or Part neck Size?

Post by dan_351 »

Just curious if people choose to part size or due to using FL dies only part neck size as not to size the full case as well as the neck.

I am about to start loading some Bergers for my 260 and just curious what people do in regards to neck sizing and also in the future if i choose to AI in 260 or other case the sharper shoulder will only allow part neck sizing unless i go an AI bush die
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Full or Part neck Size?

Post by MISSED »

I part neck size deliberately.The 20 VT,17 Furball,20PPC,6x47L and 222 are sized for less than 50% of the neck.
The 6.5x47L is sized to the neck shoulder junction this is because the projectile is seated to the neck shoulder junction Thus I have not got the pressure ring below the sized portion.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

I just bump the shoulder back .001 with my 223 , haven't got a neck die . Didn't like half sizing the neck , didn't have any issues just thought it was simpler to do a very minimal full length size
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I am not a big fan of half doing anything,I FL size my brass everytime,brass is the same everytime that way.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Only thing I neck size is my 20/222, 80 percent of the length of the neck, the slight bulge that doesn't get sized gives me very good headspace control, still haven't had to body size yet, and still haven't managed to find any copper in the barrel despite having about 500 down the tube, its fucken smooth. :mrgreen:
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

Camel wrote:Only thing I neck size is my 20/222, 80 percent of the length of the neck, the slight bulge that doesn't get sized gives me very good headspace control, still haven't had to body size yet, and still haven't managed to find any copper in the barrel despite having about 500 down the tube, its fucken smooth. :mrgreen:
OK so taking this and Andrews reply...

Would the bulge cancel out the pressure ring? As far as projectile it will be a 140gn Berger so will seat well down into the case... Mark surely your projectile in the 20/222 wouldn't seat deeper then the neck/Shoulder junction correct? does that make a difference

Thanks to everyone for there input its a real mixture of methods
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

You are right Dan, my projectiles are only going about half way down the neck, one small reason I went with the standard 222 necked down, it has a long neck.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Hey camel are you saying that the unsized portion of the neck controls headspace :?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Kinda, the little bulge makes them a nice tight fit in the chamber, when I first neck them down. When I do that, I first run them into a 22 hornet Super Simplex neck die with no innards, then take them down with the bush die, there is a distinct bulge near the base of the neck, when I close the bolt you can feel a tight spot as the bulge is forced into the chamber. If you get my description
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Camel wrote:Kinda, the little bulge makes them a nice tight fit in the chamber, you can feel a tight spot as the bulge is forced into the chamber. If you get my description
I couldn't help myself, lucky we know what you're on about...
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

MISSED wrote: The 6.5x47L is sized to the neck shoulder junction this is because the projectile is seated to the neck shoulder junction Thus I have not got the pressure ring below the sized portion.
So if it were a 140gn Berger in a 260 case would you size the full length of the neck?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Oh dear Grimy, what are we going to do with you, you really shouldn't mix up family photos with things on a shootin forum. :twisted:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

dan_351 wrote:
MISSED wrote: The 6.5x47L is sized to the neck shoulder junction this is because the projectile is seated to the neck shoulder junction Thus I have not got the pressure ring below the sized portion.
So if it were a 140gn Berger in a 260 case would you size the full length of the neck?
Dan I shoot a 6.5x55 and an AI for comp version.

The old swede gets a collet lee die and sizes all the neck and I use a bushing die on the AI version and all the neck again as in both cases unless I am shooting 95vmaxs I am seating the projectile the length of the neck for 140 sst's etc.

If your seating them and they aren't going the full length of the neck then size just enough I suppose. I guess it is all in the name of less brass working but my AI only moves about 4 thou, 290 sized 291.5 seated and 292.6 or after firing.

Your 260 may have a shorter neck than the swede from memory.

Ryan
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Partial neck sizing my 8mmRemMag caused shoulders to push forward and then couldn't chamber. Since then, I've neck sized with neck dies, and FL resized with FL resizing dies.
Cheers...
Con
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Con wrote:Partial neck sizing my 8mmRemMag caused shoulders to push forward and then couldn't chamber. Since then, I've neck sized with neck dies, and FL resized with FL resizing dies.
Cheers...
Con
I hope the OP is paying attention to that sage advice.