moly kit

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
mitchellchandler_au
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

moly kit

Post by mitchellchandler_au »

Hi all,

I was wondering where I can get a moly kit so I can coat some projectiles for my 308 norma mag.

Thanks,
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Re: moly kit

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day All,
try Pro-Cal or BRT, bearings available from places like CBC Bearings, any gem stone shop will seel tumblers, I use the large white screw top hard plastic containers rather than the rubber drums supplied as they don't coat them properly.
also a mate uses his vibratory tumbler with small medicine bottles thrown in while he cleans his cases, but I would recommend using a good tape to ensure the lid does not come off!
Hope this helps
Cheerio Ned
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... 3798399.45

No need to buy a kit, just a couple of pill bottles in a normal tumbler, some moly powder and water!
mitchellchandler_au
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by mitchellchandler_au »

Thanks for the replys guys
Happy jack
Favourite Cartridge: accurate ones

Post by Happy jack »

You don't really need a kit if you can't find one . Buy some Moly from a bearing service and some 4mm steel balls and if you already have a rotating tumbler you are fairly set. Forget any carnubba wax it is not essential if you tumble in three separate goes approx. 30 minutes a time and towelling off the excess moly in between . The last tumble with no added moly and after towelling off it should not come off on your hands . I can post my full process if you need it .
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Happy jack wrote:You don't really need a kit if you can't find one . Buy some Moly from a bearing service and some 4mm steel balls and if you already have a rotating tumbler you are fairly set. Forget any carnubba wax it is not essential if you tumble in three separate goes approx. 30 minutes a time and towelling off the excess moly in between . The last tumble with no added moly and after towelling off it should not come off on your hands . I can post my full process if you need it .
Jack can you post it anyway (in a separate thread) I'm sure guys would love to see how it's done.
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

kjd wrote:
Happy jack wrote:You don't really need a kit if you can't find one . Buy some Moly from a bearing service and some 4mm steel balls and if you already have a rotating tumbler you are fairly set. Forget any carnubba wax it is not essential if you tumble in three separate goes approx. 30 minutes a time and towelling off the excess moly in between . The last tumble with no added moly and after towelling off it should not come off on your hands . I can post my full process if you need it .
Jack can you post it anyway (in a separate thread) I'm sure guys would love to see how it's done.
Deleted .
Last edited by Happy jack on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Thanks Happy, always wanted to know how it was done the cheap easy way. We don't go much into bashing blokes who put up ideas on here, we are a little more gentlemanly than some of the other places, although at times it can get a little heated.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Cheers "HJ",
Much good info in there.
Dont get all hung up about "other" sites, this is one of the friendliest, and most open.

Mick
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

I hope it helps someone out. There is quicker ways to do it but the quality of the coating will not be as good.
One of the problems is it is so easy to get any kind of coating applied but the effectiveness of said coating may be questionable . I have refined and proved this process over many years and it works very well .
DMC
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm BR

Post by DMC »

I think Happy Jack has it sorted out well,
But i have tried the water mathod with i saw on Accurateshooter.com. it involves washing and cleaning the new projectiles ( i used warm water and Simple Green ) then put 30 or so at a time into a small plastic screw top container together with water and a small half teaspoon on Lyman Super Moly powder, tap the screw top lid on well, and put in tumbler for 2 hours, take out projetiles and wash in warm water, i then dry in a cloth, gives excellent results and no dust plus you can reuse the Moly Water over and over, the finished result are a mile ahead of any factory coated Moly projectile ive seen, might be worth giving it a try

Safe Shooting

DMC
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

DMC wrote:I think Happy Jack has it sorted out well,
But i have tried the water mathod with i saw on Accurateshooter.com. it involves washing and cleaning the new projectiles ( i used warm water and Simple Green ) then put 30 or so at a time into a small plastic screw top container together with water and a small half teaspoon on Lyman Super Moly powder, tap the screw top lid on well, and put in tumbler for 2 hours, take out projetiles and wash in warm water, i then dry in a cloth, gives excellent results and no dust plus you can reuse the Moly Water over and over, the finished result are a mile ahead of any factory coated Moly projectile ive seen, might be worth giving it a try
Safe Shooting
DMC
I have tried it myself and the finish is ok but I found the water prevents deep penetration of the moly into the bullet jacket material . It looks good and it is less dusty for sure but at this stage I am still not convinced it's a better coating . Having only done it a few times is not enough shooting to say for sure but I find the dry process can be better controlled . The secret to a deep coating is the towelling off as what happens is that loose moly builds up on the bullets surface and cushions the steel balls and stops further penetration no matter how long you tumble .
Then their is the water handling and I don't want extra moisture in my workshop near my stuff that rusts not to mention that water could work it's way inside your bullets . I gave it some serious thought as I could see that the dust reduction was a real benefit but there is other draw backs for me . Others may not find those drawbacks an issue.
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

Camel wrote:Thanks Happy, always wanted to know how it was done the cheap easy way. We don't go much into bashing blokes who put up ideas on here, we are a little more gentlemanly than some of the other places, although at times it can get a little heated.
Your welcome but I just got hassled by kickingback for trying to help him and I've only been here a few hours now .
So I may not stay on this forum as there seems to be a few antagonists that don't want any alternate opinion put forward.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Happy jack wrote:
Camel wrote:Thanks Happy, always wanted to know how it was done the cheap easy way. We don't go much into bashing blokes who put up ideas on here, we are a little more gentlemanly than some of the other places, although at times it can get a little heated.
Your welcome but I just got hassled by kickingback for trying to help him and I've only been here a few hours now .
So I may not stay on this forum as there seems to be a few antagonists that don't want any alternate opinion put forward.
I see what your saying happy, but it takes two to tango mate. It's easy to misread what someone is saying over the web and take it the wrong way. No need to turn it into a schoolyard rumble. There's a place for everyone and hopefully the forum offers something to everyone that visits