Hornady New Dimension Nexck size die - Broken?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Hornady New Dimension Nexck size die - Broken?

Post by Mulga »

Hi fellas,

Was only sprouting the other day about how good my my Hornady 22cal neck size die was. Well On my second piece of brass I destroyed the zip spindle, expander and decapping pin totally stuffed.

I was reading on the US forums that Hornady have been replacing these parts free. Do you reckon the Australian importer would extend that service?

Regards

Dan
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Hornady New Dimension Nexck size die - Broken?

Post by JasonF »

Can't hurt to ask, and if you have no luck take it up with Hornady direct.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

You would hope so, dies (excluding de-capping pins) with proper care should last a lifetime. Two uses you have a fair claim. Failing the local distributor and hornady consumer affairs will be your best bet. Pretty much all manufactured items sold in this country have a legal 12month warranty for workmanship and materials.

Dr G
dhv
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22LR

Post by dhv »

I have had this happen to me twice.

On both occasions I emailed Hornady direct with a pic and they posted me a replacement for free.
Mulga
.222 Remington

Re: Hornady New Dimension Neck size die - Broken?

Post by Mulga »

Sweet :)
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

Mulga wrote:Hi fellas,

Was only sprouting the other day about how good my my Hornady 22cal neck size die was. Well On my second piece of brass I destroyed the zip spindle, expander and decapping pin totally stuffed.

I was reading on the US forums that Hornady have been replacing these parts free. Do you reckon the Australian importer would extend that service?

Regards

Dan
Would like to know how you managed to do this.
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

I will have a look tonight. Could be a number of different things.
palla
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22WMR

Post by palla »

Same, I emailed them direct & they sent out the replacement bits free of charge from the US to sleepy backwater Perth.

Great customer service!
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Mulga wrote:Hi fellas,

Regards

Dan
Would like to know how you managed to do this.

Me two...
I've got a couple of their custom dies and a few sets of their std dies and never had a problem with one, another popular std brand or two, well thats another story... Was it old hard brass, did ya not use any lube inside the case mouth etc. was the brass excessively thick and when ya pulled it back over the sizing button it ripped it out... how was it destroyed e.g thread stripped etc. Cheers :wink:

All the best
John
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

If its federal brass then toss it all in the bin.
Just did some .222rems for a mate, once fired factory ammo. The primer hole was so far off to one side i broke 2 decaping pins before I realized what the problem was. Also made me burr the bottom of the spindle because I had to lock the pin in a vice and lever the spindle away from it. It was pushed so far back. Have emailed federal, but no reply, no surprise.

Johno
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Also, and I noticed this putting a carbon replacement button in a Redding die, the thread is so coarse that you can lock the rod up with the pin a snickle off centre. Easily fixed by rotating the rod one way or the other to centre the pin then lock it up, but something to look at anyway.
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

Really old second hand RP .222 brass. Off center flash hole. Ive never had a problem before on boxer primed brass this a one off I hope. I will try to take a photo tonight.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

I managed to get the primer out of one of the cases that snapped the decaping pin with a nail. The flash hole is actually touching the side of the case head :? Just rubbish brass

Johno
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

I have had one of those dies for years,.243 and use it for neck sizing 6x45 brass. When first purchased I was not happy with it, when the collet was tightened up it pushed the spindle offside enough to make the decapping pin go off centre,was difficult to decap cases unless a lot of care was taken.
Fortunately my gunsmith/mate was able to remedy the problem by slicing the collet into two pieces, when refitted and tightened up the rod and decapping pin centered perfectly.No more troubles, after 50 years of reloading, I tend to use a gentle approach and feel the pin into the primer hole before puting the pressure on.
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

Ok took some photos and as you can see the decapping pin is intact and yet the Zip spindle has bent at its weakest point and has broken the expander ball. The Zip spindle was intact however it broke when I tried to straighten it.

Flash Gordon wrote:when the collet was tightened up it pushed the spindle offside enough to make the decapping pin go off centre
It is highly likley that this is the case in this situation.

Cheers

Dan