ADI 5.56 brass

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

ADI 5.56 brass

Post by Plowboy »

Hey all was in the LGS yesterday wasting some time and saw a bloody great box of once fired ADI stamped brass in 5.56X45mm. Just wondering if this is any good to use and most off all is 5.56 safe to use? I didn't have a good look but the primers didn't look crimped in like Federal stuff. I have read that there are slight differences in military and civilian brass. Didn't ask for a price but if it was cheap should I grab some??
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: ADI 5.56 brass

Post by Seddo »

I use it in my 223 varmint rifle and will use it as soon as i get my 223 F class rifle built. THe only thing to consider is what its been fired in, they might take a bit to resize if they were fired in oversized chambers. The stuff i am using was new when i got it, $35 per 100 primed.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

OK thanks mate, this stuff was not primed so I should be looking for pretty cheap if that's the case (no pun intended). I was interested because this military brass would be heavy duty and may last a long time.
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

Also be carefull when relaoding. For memory military 5.56 & 7.62 have a thicker case wall, so what might be ok in a Rem, Win case etc could be a compression load in a military case. Watch for pressure signs as well.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

OK i'll keep that in mind. I'm not really into hot loads though. Not really chasing velocity just accuracy enough to shoot the critters around here.
ducky
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem 223rem

Post by ducky »

Good day. mate you will find the adi is a heavier brass, it is also a harder brass as well. these are designed for automatic weapons once use. :rifle2: they may not last as long. if your reloading, youll also find the flash hole is slightly smaller than standard, and your depriming pin may stick in the flash hole. all i did then was used a small drill the same size as the standard flash hole and drilled them out after depriming. you will also have to remove the crimp burr.
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

There was a stall at the last Penrith gun show offering ADI .223 brass for $9.50 per 100 :shock: only picked up one bag for future play, but shite thats cheap :shock:
m12vlp
.22 WMR

Post by m12vlp »

WhiteMeat wrote:There was a stall at the last Penrith gun show offering ADI .223 brass for $9.50 per 100 :shock: only picked up one bag for future play, but shite thats cheap :shock:

Was it the new packaged stuff or some once fired stuff? At that price i'm thinking that it's once fired ex mil stuff but you never know.

I'm very interested in trying some of the new packaged ADI 223 brass...
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

m12vlp wrote:
WhiteMeat wrote:There was a stall at the last Penrith gun show offering ADI .223 brass for $9.50 per 100 :shock: only picked up one bag for future play, but shite thats cheap :shock:

Was it the new packaged stuff or some once fired stuff? At that price i'm thinking that it's once fired ex mil stuff but you never know.

I'm very interested in trying some of the new packaged ADI 223 brass...
Sorry for the late reply, it was once fired and apparently all single flash hole (I didn't deprime them, am about to go have a look at them and uniform the inside flash hole)
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

ADI 5.56 brass

Post by kjd »

I'm pretty sure all military brass has crimped in primers so you will need the tool that removes the crimp!
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
well if you have an autoloader :roll: it might be worth it but honestly if you save your brass to reload your much better off with quality brass like lapua. Failing that Winny brass can take a hammering and it works fine until the primer pockets loosen (22-250 experience! :wink: ).

You'd be surprised at how much the brass affects accuracy eg neck wall thickness variations, drilled vs punched flash holes, brass alloy etc. Lapua is KING. I'd say it would out last most other factory brass and deliver better accuracy to boot. So much so it is nearly good enough to use in BR without prep, and then it is a relatively small amount of work to bring it up to spec. If you have a rifle that promises good accuracy, it would almost be worth trying a box of lapua brass to see the difference.

Anyhow, JMHO; food for thought though.....................

Cheerio Ned
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

I think that I am too careless when shooting to get lapua brass.... If I miss I quickly reload and the case goes flying out the window! Bit hard to find in the grass sometimes! Winny brass has probably served me pretty well and I have been reloading federal stuff but not so sure on it. I have had some iffy groups out of that and some shots on critters that you know were goosd shots and somehow they miss...... well that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Started off with 60 federal cases (ex factory loaded), next batch is the fifth reload and still accurate, discarded about 10 so far. Bought a box of lapua and found that they measured spot on out of the box so i just chamfered the mouth and loaded 'em up. Accuracy and poi exactly the same as the federal (same load, seating and projie). Because of the dimensions (before and after loading) and thicker neck I would have thought the lapua case exerted more tension on the bullet and maybe changing the poi, but apparently not so :?:

Note:
1. whether it mattered or not I sorted by weight the 60 cases from around 90 original cases, not with the lapua though.
2. talking field rig here, not BR
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Post by Mulga »

Any one have any experience with the new unprimed ADI brass . Saw some at my LGS and they look good. Annealing is still visible and the case mouths chamfered inside and out.

Is it the same brass as the standard militay brass or is it something special?
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

i use the new adi brass and its works well for me. IN fact my gunsmith reccomended it for my f class rifle.