204 reloading ??? Pics added 27-10-10

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Drafty
Favourite Cartridge: na

204 reloading ??? Pics added 27-10-10

Post by Drafty »

Waiting for my permit to purchase to arrive is doing my head in, i can hear my Sako saying pick me up, pick me up, but unfortunately i cant, so to take the edge off my frustration i have been researching reloading for the 204.

My brother has offered to help with the reloading as he has all the presses and gear, so asked the boys at o'reilys to put a set of redding dies and case seat aside for me, will pick them up with the Sako.

The common things which seem to be coming up on a regular basis on the net are that some guns like and some dont like 40gr projectiles, so for bedding the gun in i have decided to purchase a box of 32gr and 40gr remingtons when i pick up the gun, this way i can see if the 40's shoot well in my rifle, if not then i will look into the 39gr Sieras which most people seem to love if i can find any. The 2 boxes of empty cases once shot can then also be reloaded. For primers Rem 7.5's seem to be popular. With powder i think i will start with 26gr of 2206H powder this is what is recomended in the ADI table.

As i have never reloded before i would be intersted to know if anyone sees a problem or thinks i should do or try something different.

Any help is appreciated.

Joe
Last edited by Drafty on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: 204 reloading ???

Post by trevort »

2206h and 7 1/2 br primers are a great start. if your barrel is a true 1 in 12 the 40s will work. You will need to drive them near max to get the best accuracy, yes, work up looking for pressure but expect the best results to come near the max load.

If you are shooting relatively short range 32s may work but look at the long range tables, by the time they are at 300m the 32s are shedding speed much quicker than 40s or 39s and are more blown around.

Learn how to prep you cases properly.

Where are you located?
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Hi Trevort, thanks for your reply. What do you suggest in case prep, brother has a tumbler and trimer.

I am located in Caroline Springs.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

read ned Kelly's article on tha main page
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Trevort can you post a link to the article, not sure whick one you are referring to. Very keen to have a read of it.

By the way picked up the rifle yesterday but they had no remington cartridges so bought a box of Fed in 39gr Sieras has anyone shot these and what are the cases like for reloading?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

at least they have the right pill!!
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Thanks Trevort, great article. Looks like i will dump the fed cases once shot and get something better in quality. The tools used in the prep dont look overly expensive either and will obviously help in getting consistant accuracy, can they be purchased at a gun shop or do i need to see a smith?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

if you want to get into precision loading google Sinclair International. they will send you a catalogue and then the addiction begins
simmo
Favourite Cartridge: all

Post by simmo »

" Please don't hang me " Drafty i have just set up and done load work on two 85's , they both shot very well with around the 28 grain mark of 2208, cci small rifle br primers and new brass, one win one remi and of course the only projectile worth wasting your money on in the Sako 12 twist the mighty Sierra 39 gn Blitz King. Dont be scared to seat em deep and let them jump as you will have no choice with the 85 mag. If you wish i can send all the load data to you. Ps dont touch the bedding until you have done your load work as you should be quite happy with it's performance.
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Hey Simmo thanks for the offer mate and yes please send me the load data you have come up with, might save me heap of time, brother has a bottle of 2608 on the shelf, have br primers in the cabinet and am starting to collect some cases, now all i need to do is locate some bloody 39gr Sierras, all places i have rung say they dont have any in stock, any suggestions on where i can get some.

Thanks for the heads up on the bedding.

Look forward to getting the date.

Joe
simmo
Favourite Cartridge: all

Post by simmo »

I might have a spare thousand or so. Pm me your phone number and ill call you monday if you like.
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

simmo wrote:I might have a spare thousand or so. Pm me your phone number and ill call you monday if you like.
Thanks mate, was just reading some of your previous posts, very interesting reading.

PM sent
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

trevort wrote:if you want to get into precision loading google Sinclair International. they will send you a catalogue and then the addiction begins
Drafty do not listen to this man it could be extremely dangerous to your wallet :lol:
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Thanks fo the warning Missed, unfortunately the damage has already been done and there is very little left.