Removing a Primer seated backwards??

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Ryan

Removing a Primer seated backwards??

Post by Ryan »

In my last reloading session I accidently seated a primer backwards in a brand new case. Is there any way of SAFELY removing it?
I had an idea of soaking it in water for a day or two then running it thru my neck die to deprime it.
Do you think that would work without risk of setting it off? First time this has happened so not sure what to do and dont want to waste a case or just have it sitting there in my safe.
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Re: Removing a Primer seated backwards??

Post by V|PeR »

i believe soaking it in oil for a few days will deactivate the primer
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Any kind of oil in particular? Cooking, mineral, engine? or anything?
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by V|PeR »

motor oil or machine oil i have heard of being used.

either way when deactivated make sure when removing the primer you have safety glasses, gloves etc
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

soak in water for two weeks or consult reloading manual
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Put some safety glasses on (you should be wearing them whilst reloading anyway), wrap a towel around the press and deprime it gently and with even pressure.

Done it many a time when I've made a boo-boo. Just think about it ... if you can crush a primer with the press whilst seating it and not have it go off ... you can also de-prime it (even when backwards ... but be doubly gentle) without having it go off.
Cheers...
Con
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Con wrote:Put some safety glasses on (you should be wearing them whilst reloading anyway), wrap a towel around the press and deprime it gently and with even pressure.

Done it many a time when I've made a boo-boo. Just think about it ... if you can crush a primer with the press whilst seating it and not have it go off ... you can also de-prime it (even when backwards ... but be doubly gentle) without having it go off.
Cheers...
Con
+1
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Con wrote:Put some safety glasses on (you should be wearing them whilst reloading anyway), wrap a towel around the press and deprime it gently and with even pressure.

Cheers...
Con
+2

You are not the first bloke to do it Ryan :oops: Just follow Con`s advice and all will be good
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

a squirt of CRC or similiar will kill it straight away. No need to wait for days/weeks etc. Wrap a old rag or tea towel around the press so if it does go off any grit etc won't be spread around your bench. Backwards is safer than the right way round when it comes to depriming live primers ! I've never put one in backwards but have deprimed plenty that were in the right way round. Never had one go off and I don't bother to try and kill them with anything...
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Ok wont happen you say........no way a primer will go of slowly pressing it out we guess what it can happen most likely be five times more likely to be struck by lightning but.
I have had a primer go of in a hand seating tool and when you look at the way that most of them seat the primer you will notice that there is a fair surface contact area,much more than pushing in the centre with a depriming pin anyway.
I was using primers that were not to be used in this particular primer tool(who reads instructions :oops: ),I had used it for ages before this happened as well and trust me when I say it scares the crap out of you when it goes of.
As has has been mentioned a little bit of oil,safety glasses,towel over the press and you should be good to go.
As a little exercise try placing some water on a primer and leave it for a few days and then seat it in a case and see if it will fire.

Regards Chris.
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

I agree with Sam, use some WD40 or similar. It is death to a primer straight away and no waiting.

Cheers

Dave
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I say do hard and fast and set it off for shits and giggles. Its not gonna damage anything as long as the flame is pointes away from you :twisted:
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

trevort wrote:I say do hard and fast and set it off for shits and giggles. Its not gonna damage anything as long as the flame is pointes away from you :twisted:
You actually made LOL Trev!!

I agree!

Glenn
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

Personally, id go with just depriming it as normal, with the towel around it..
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Onya Trevort.....although it might make the Mrs nervous about reloading being done in the house :lol: