.358 Win Improved?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: .358 Win Improved?

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Foz wrote:Does anyone know of a .358 win being improved in an Ackley fashion ie: 40 deg shoulder and body taper reduction?
I have a .308 Ruger 77II stainless which cries out for some foolin around.
Any thoughts or suggestions of a larger cal alternative for the short action?
Personally, I ask the question; "why bother?". From my experience, go with the 358 mate.

Since purchasing a Remington 700 in 7mm-08, my Remington 700 in 243 became redundant and remained in the safe feeling unloved. I wanted a dedicated Sambar Stag unit in 9.3x62mm, but couldn't afford a new Sako. So I did the research on suitable short action calibres and estimated the performance I could get from the 338F and 358W from a 24" barrel. I opted for the 9mm calibre for the larger frontal area and subsequently rebarreled the 243 to 358. The MAB barrel has a 1 in 12" twist, 24" long (Remington profile), bead blasted and was fitted by JK Engineering.

The rifle loves 45grs of AR2206H behind 250gr Woodleigh or Hornady projectile, with the recoil being surprisingly mild - similar to a 180gr load from a 30-06. Interestingly the loads were chronographed and are doing 2320ft/s. That's not far behind a 35 Whelen!!!!

250gr Hornady projectiles - 0.400" group at 50m

250gr Woodleigh projectiles - 0.468" group at 100m

First blood for the 358

A magazine full of thumpers

Two of my fellow Sambar hunting mates are in the process of building a 358, another has bought a new Ruger Hawkeye in 358. One is rebarreling a BSA Majestic (243) and the other is rebarreling a Savage 99A lever-action (308).
Foz

Post by Foz »

That makes a lot of sense Drew and if i can't decide soon i will be doing just that, but sometimes the boy in us has to surface and make the man in us sit and watch us make stupid mistakes. Hence the first statement included "foolin". Ultimately the man in us will say to the boy, "Told you so you dill".

Am I talking to myself again? ......... :wink:

I think your mates BSA might have a long action (I had a BSA in .243 which i gave away and it had a long action) and so can be a 35 Whelan if he chooses.
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Foz wrote:I think your mates BSA might have a long action (I had a BSA in .243 which i gave away and it had a long action) and so can be a 35 Whelan if he chooses.
The BSA Majestic action is for short action rounds. It's a compact mini-mauser action.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Cheers Drew,
Can you tell me a little about game response to being hit by your .358? I am particularly interested in how it hits Sambar.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Drew Jaeger wrote: ... with the recoil being surprisingly mild - similar to a 180gr load from a 30-06. Interestingly the loads were chronographed and are doing 2320ft/s. That's not far behind a 35 Whelen!!!!
Drew,
The 'mild recoil' catches you by total surprise doesn't it!? :lol: My 358Win is a rebarrelled M70FWT with factort hard pad ... first firing was a revelation in mild manners! Mate shot it and started to loathe his 35Whelen (Rem700), so built a 303/35 which is equally mild but with 10shot magazine!! :twisted: When I built my 358Win I thought I was being a bit 'different', then the 'smith told me it was his most popular reamer! :shock: It's a not much acknowledged gem of a chambering.
Cheers...
Con
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Foz to quote Uncle Nick ,Why iis the 358 win so good because it is!,
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Foz wrote:Can you tell me a little about game response to being hit by your .358? I am particularly interested in how it hits Sambar.
The 358 hits hard! The 358 is a relatively new unit and only has been on a couple of hunts. The Sambar spike was belted at ~60m on the trot. The 250gr Woodleigh RN impacted the right shoulder, turned the lungs to mush and exited through the left shoulder. The wound channel was significant. Dropping a big stag with this combination in the 358 wouldn't be a problem.

The only other game taken with the 358 are three goats and a rabbit. The 250gr Woodleighs passed through effortlessly. The rabbit looked like he was hit with a 9mm wad punch!

I'm heading out west in January to belt a pig or three, I might pack the 358 too.

250gr Woodleigh RN and 250gr Hornady RN
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Con wrote:
Drew Jaeger wrote: ... with the recoil being surprisingly mild - similar to a 180gr load from a 30-06. Interestingly the loads were chronographed and are doing 2320ft/s. That's not far behind a 35 Whelen!!!!
When I built my 358Win I thought I was being a bit 'different', then the 'smith told me it was his most popular reamer! :shock: It's a not much acknowledged gem of a chambering.
Same. Also, when I ordered the Redding dies, I was told it was the fourth set sold/ordered in a week!!! It seems the 358 is a quiet achiever.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Drew Jaeger wrote: It seems the 358 is a quiet achiever.
About to get even better. Mate PM'd me a few days back that Woodleigh has bitten the bullet and a 225gr and 250gr spitzer in 35cal may be on the cards for 2009. Maybe even a 275gr. Personally I'm running a 358Win, 350RemMag, 35Whelen with another two (maybe 3) 35cals in the pipeworks. Absolute favourite remains the 358Win at this stage with the 350RemMag a close second.
Cheers...
Con
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Con wrote:......Woodleigh has bitten the bullet and a 225gr and 250gr spitzer in 35cal may be on the cards for 2009. Maybe even a 275gr.
I can assure you that Woodleigh are producing a 250gr Protected Point, due for release around,... ummm,..., errr,... NOW! Initially it was due to be out on the shelves by Jul/Aug, and then put off until Nov/Dec 08.

At this stage, I plan to stick with the 250gr Round Nose, it's a winning combination and the mushroom finalised the decision.
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Foz wrote:I am particularly interested in how it hits Sambar.
The remnants of the Spike’s lungs poured out of the chest cavity.
Picture 098.jpg
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Drew Jaeger wrote: At this stage, I plan to stick with the 250gr Round Nose, it's a winning combination and the mushroom finalised the decision.
I've always found the RN pills to open faster, and the shorter length can be an advantage in a short magazine box.
Cheers...
Con
Foz

Post by Foz »

Thanks guys, it really does sound like the .358 is an unsung overachiever with quite a following. Makes sense when is can do what it can and with the the reported low recoil. The oh eight i have is destined for a change for the better i reckon.
Drew, that is a nice effort on the spikers lungs eh? Soup.
Con, it is obvious that you have identified the benefit of a large frontal area the 35s offer.
Cool stuff.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Foz,
Also consider a 338Federal. My only sticking point would be that by the time you rebarrel the Ruger, it'd be just as easy to have traded it on a new Hawkeye 358Win or 338Federal. Do your sums carefully.
Cheers...
Con
Foz

Post by Foz »

Thanks Con, that is prudent advice as the hawkeye has a much better stock and trigger, amongst other things.
Either way, my safe will house a 35 as soon as i can allocate (beg, borrow or steal) funds otherwise spent on household stuff.
It is good to hear that there is quite a following of the .358 here on this forum as it helps to bounce loads etc off each other.
Thanks to all who responded and share their invaluable experience.