Reloading

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: Reloading

Post by curan »

chappo555 wrote:Just remember pugster that some web advice is worth what you paid for it. Get along to a range and look and listen and ask questions.

Where abouts are you mate. Happy to help get you started on the right track.
I've noticed that the best advice normally comes from chatting after the match is over.......

.........normally it is also the advise you could have really used during the match! :lol:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Camel wrote:Baring in mind you have only shot a 22, forget all about reloading until you are proficient with your shooting rimfires. After you get a centre fire, learn to shoot that, then worry about reloading.

Good advice! It also really depends on what volumes you are shooting. When I was a single bloke, I was shooting heaps and burning through ammo like nobodies business. For me it was partly about being 100km from the closest ammo store. I was loading for cheaper than I could buy decent ammo but if I calculated the price difference, then added the cost of the equipment. I would be behind. But as others have said, it's not about pure cost. If you are wanting to be frugal, shooting will not be your friend especially if you get into it like half the nutbags on here are! Reloading is about getting a buzz out of shooting a ragged hole with 5 shots or making a furry little animal explode into several pieces with a round you have assembled yourself!

Reloading is a very slippery slope! You start with the very basics and then somebody shows a piece of equipment that does the job easier/better/quicker/looks REALLY COOL..... Then you buy that thing and your cost effectiveness goes right out the window.

Do yourself a favour, get good at shooting first if you feel the need to "roll your own" by all means do it for the buzz. Don't justify it buy the cost factor. You WILL be disappointed if you do your sums.

If I knew about the events in my life that have happened in the last few years, I would never have bothered with it. However when I get the chance, I crack out 50rounds. It's nice time to myself. I get to tell people "piss off! If I stuff this up I could die......" And they walk away! Yes a bit dramatic but for me now it's a rare thing to get time to myself!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Plowboy wrote:
Camel wrote: It's nice time to myself. I get to tell people "piss off! If I stuff this up I could die......" And they walk away! Yes a bit dramatic but for me now it's a rare thing to get time to myself!
Aint that funny. Everyone in the house knows that when the ammo boxes are full but I find I need to be at the reloading bench fiddling with some seriously (un)important task its time to fark off and leave me alone.
Its just something to retreat to when your brain is overloading on noise to focus on something with no deep meaning to stop overfocussing on something that may not be positive.. Fark I sometimes go in and rearrange the mess on the bench just to turn noise off.

I get you PB
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

Definitely something therapeutic about being in the reloading room

I'm hearing what your putting down pb trevort
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

:? my life must be one big reloading room then....
i shoot to make some noise and to talk to people rather than my dogs..... :oops:

aint life a funny thing....

sean
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I mean noise as in background noise as in thoughts/ issues/ stress..
Sean I take it Yass is too far of a drive?
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

pugster if your interested im in im 15 minutes out of camden ,might be going out on a limb here not knowing you and all but id be happy to run you through every thing and set your dies up to suit your press if your interested or you would just like to learn something about it let me no :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

mistit wrote:pugster if your interested im in im 15 minutes out of camden ,might be going out on a limb here not knowing you and all but id be happy to run you through every thing and set your dies up to suit your press if your interested or you would just like to learn something about it let me no :D

Damn good offer right there Mark, must be something to do with the name eh ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

Yep definetly the name :roll: :D
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

trevort wrote:I mean noise as in background noise as in thoughts/ issues/ stress..
Sean I take it Yass is too far of a drive?
yup definately.
dont get me wrong,i like being on my own [most of the time]
:wink:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Cool
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

Pugster been thinking the best place to catch up and talk would be silverdale rifle range , I usually set up in the reloading room :D