.17Rem Hornady 25g HP - range test

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: .17Rem Hornady 25g HP - range test

Post by Waldo »

Here's one:

Yeh, just been looking and pondering. Next test I'll run up:
4 x 23.0g @ 2.186"
4 x 23.0g @2.166"
4 x 23.2g @ 2.186"
4 x 23.2g @ 2.166"
Best of that lot and I'll lock it in and go :hunting:

Cheers,
Waldo
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: .17Rem - range test #2

Post by Waldo »

I did get around to running up a few more loads to test in the .17Rem, it has just taken me a few weeks to get to the range :roll:

Made the effort and got over nice and early this morning, shit it was a bit chilly and with a fairly stiff left to right strong breeze. Results were interesting but we have a clear winner so that's what I'll run up a few of and maybe give that new predator call a trot :hunting:

First group out of a cold clean barrel wasn't a good start (top right was shot #1):
Second group still not great:
I wound the scope over 4 clicks to the left then had another try next load (a bit of a loner over to the left didn't want to associate with his mates :roll: ):
Last group and this seems to be getting there, the three close are pretty tidy and I'll call the right a flyer :D :

That's good enough for me I'll call load development finished :D

I've always been a compulsive gun cleaner and clean everything after use, I dragged out the Bergara Scout .222Rem and fired a quick group and it wasn't impressive:
Went to start another group and only got 2 down range before a range closure but looking much better:

I may have to try and resist being so OCD and leave this one a bit fouled?

Anyway, time to load up some .17's and smack a fox or two 8)

Cheers,
Waldo
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

that 5.6x57mm did you no good at all Waldo.

Nice looking 17 that
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Take the wind out of your last 17 group and it would be pretty flash mate.

Just imagine if you cleaned between each load, you would never get anything to shoot, I don't worry about cleaning till after 50 shots or so, unless its gunna be in storage for a few months. :D
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

MISSED wrote:that 5.6x57mm did you no good at all Waldo.

Nice looking 17 that
Yeh, I haven't been the same since the 5.6 came along :roll: Load development was unheard of, just used to shoot stuff and never used to worry about it now I'm messing with different loads, lengths, chrono's, blah blah blah...............
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Camel wrote:Take the wind out of your last 17 group and it would be pretty flash mate.

Just imagine if you cleaned between each load, you would never get anything to shoot, I don't worry about cleaning till after 50 shots or so, unless its gunna be in storage for a few months. :D

Damn lucky I got one of them to shoot. I gotta be honest I was hoping it was gonna be that load as it is the hottest one and I have the dies set up for that length already so no stuffing around.

I'll leave both them sit for a few weeks as the young fella will be home next week for a short break so we may take the .17 and .222 out and whack so little furry critters with em.

Too many rifles and not enough time so a few of them often sit in the safe for a month or 6 :cry:

Cheers,
Waldo