Seating Depth

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: Seating Depth

Post by Dr G »

trevort wrote:3pot going into the lands is no problem as long as you work up to it for exactly the reason Ned says.

The only drawback of going into the lands is unloading and having a pill in the barrel and a chamber full of powder.

Its happened to me three times. Always have more than one rifle on a trip!
Technically twice mate, once it was while the rifle was in my hands :roll:

I will never forget the look on yours and Pats face when I took the rifle across the road to use old mates compressor. Glad I still live in an enlightened place :D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yep I was waiting on the SWAT team turning up!
3potscreamer
Favourite Cartridge: 223wssm

Seating Depth

Post by 3potscreamer »

Loaded some this morning 10 30 &40 of the lands finally got under an inch .920 fou shot group with the 40 of load.
Thanks for the help guys.
Don't know if it's worth trying 50 of as there's plenty of room in the case.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

3potscreamer wrote:Don't know if it's worth trying 50 of as there's plenty of room in the case.
If there is plenty of room in the case it might have been worth changing to the next powder with a lower bulk density, instead of chasing the seating depth?

Still if you're happy with the group at 40 thou jump, then I'd stick with that certainly for the meantime. Next time you check the zero with the 40 thou jump, you can always plug a few into a target with 50 thou jump etc. for comparison. If there is a significant improvement again you can always seat the 40 thou loads deeper to suit; it's generally considered more accurate than pulling short ones and trying to seat them longer. :wink:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

aaronraad wrote:
3potscreamer wrote:D

If there is plenty of room in the case it might have been worth changing to the next powder with a lower bulk density, instead of chasing the seating depth?

:

that sounds like great advice