LGS rant

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Re: LGS rant

Post by jeffk »

WARDY91 wrote:They did have 204 ammo on the shelf , don't recall what brand was previously told it was the good stuff , price $52 a packet of 20

It would want to reload its self at least once for that sorta coin.[/quote]

it would want to shoot and skin the bloody fox too! And drive me home afterwards.....
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

It pays to stock up if you like certain components. I try to buy powder in 4kg tubs when possible and primers by the case and make sure you start looking to top up when you crack the half way mark.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

chappo555 wrote:Do you honestly believe the shop doesn't want to have powder so they can't sell it to you. Fair dinkum. A change in distributer, a high demand in the US and dangerous goods freight changes have all had an impact on supply.

I know its easy to bag any LGS but just step back and have a think about the real issues. I know we try and order powder 6 months in advance but you can still get caught short. We sold out of 4kg lots of 2208 in the space of a week and that was our six month order.
Exactly Chappo,

People have a far too simplistic view on gun shops, they think the reason we don't have something is because of laziness or poor customer service when we have thousands of $ worth of it on back order and other factors prevent us from getting stock.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

kjd wrote: Exactly Chappo,

People have a far too simplistic view on gun shops, they think the reason we don't have something is because of laziness or poor customer service when we have thousands of $ worth of it on back order and other factors prevent us from getting stock.

No mate, that's probably true of your employer who is known for doing the right thing...there are PLENTY that match the other description too, unfortunately!! :roll:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I can't really argue with that one Jeff!
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

Harb wrote:Its still a transport issue I believe....... that mixed with the demand means its hard to get

While at the LGS at Cessnock the yesterday I was informed that Tamworth Firearms has an 8 tonne order coming into them but did not have a definite arrival date. Was also informed that with the new dangerous goods transport issues that the trucks transporting them will not be stopping at smaller shops now and only going to the major cities and the only way the smaller shops can get powder allotments dropped off to them is to order 150kg min.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

The Gnome wrote:
Harb wrote:Its still a transport issue I believe....... that mixed with the demand means its hard to get

While at the LGS at Cessnock the yesterday I was informed that Tamworth Firearms has an 8 tonne order coming into them but did not have a definite arrival date. Was also informed that with the new dangerous goods transport issues that the trucks transporting them will not be stopping at smaller shops now and only going to the major cities and the only way the smaller shops can get powder allotments dropped off to them is to order 150kg min.
How do people come up with this shit?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I'm confused.

Isn't that around 123458867 grains (depending on calibre etc) or vaguely 2.5million rounds worth... I doubt there would be a typical gun shop in Australia that would sell that much powder, or rounds, in a year....Let alone have somewhere secure, legal, and insured to hold that much (ie. garden shed :roll: ).

Now name me a LGS that is going to accept a 'whenever' delivery date for 8 tonnes of powder? Either they have a typo on the order or they want it! If they want 8 tonnes they obviously have customers demanding it, and a 'whenever' delivery means they'll buy a competitors product...

Now name me one supplier (or their salesdude) who'd happily walk way from an order of that size? I'd be pulling out all stops to get an order like that. Explain to your boss why you let that order go to a competitor.

PS. Perhaps someone wildcatting an 8 tonne round? Care to calculate what dimensions we need?

PPS. Forgive me, shitty mood today. :x
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Not to mention the storage requirements for that much powder are not your typical powder cabinet found at a gun shop.

Someone is telling porkies and some other people are gullible.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Would be interested to know if it is a delivery/shipping/cartage type issue eg is there only one truck carrying this stuff or is it the supplier not putting enough aside to the local market or the the middle man/company.

It is hard ......no frustrating to go to a GS and them not have any powder .... everytime lately or the not sure when it comes in response. Most likely not the shops fault as others have noted.

What if there was a GP delivery guy bit like the milko :) hmmmm :idea:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

stinkitup wrote:Would be interested to know if it is a delivery/shipping/cartage type issue eg is there only one truck carrying this stuff or is it the supplier not putting enough aside to the local market or the the middle man/company.

It is hard ......no frustrating to go to a GS and them not have any powder .... everytime lately or the not sure when it comes in response. Most likely not the shops fault as others have noted.

What if there was a GP delivery guy bit like the milko :) hmmmm :idea:
What powder are you chasing we have pretty good stocks atm.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

The Raven wrote:I'm confused.

Isn't that around 123458867 grains (depending on calibre etc) or vaguely 2.5million rounds worth... I doubt there would be a typical gun shop in Australia that would sell that much powder, or rounds, in a year....Let alone have somewhere secure, legal, and insured to hold that much (ie. garden shed :roll: ).

Now name me a LGS that is going to accept a 'whenever' delivery date for 8 tonnes of powder? Either they have a typo on the order or they want it! If they want 8 tonnes they obviously have customers demanding it, and a 'whenever' delivery means they'll buy a competitors product...

Now name me one supplier (or their salesdude) who'd happily walk way from an order of that size? I'd be pulling out all stops to get an order like that. Explain to your boss why you let that order go to a competitor.

PS. Perhaps someone wildcatting an 8 tonne round? Care to calculate what dimensions we need?

PPS. Forgive me, shitty mood today. :x
1.235 x (10)8 by my reckoning aswell. Near enough to a lazy $3/4 mil order of powder. Or if we need a visual representation it's 4 falcadores worth of powder... My ass

I suspect though the total order might be in the vicinity of 8 tonnes(maybe a few big safes coming in) and a component of that might be 100kg or do of powder.

On the topic of stuff from a gunshop you got any 39gn SBK's Keith?
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Here are some facts on the powder situation.
1.Winchester now has a transport company that will deliver powder regularly.
2.They are only allowed to deliver 50kgs per day per shop which is the same as when Nioa were the ADI distributors. Thats the law on dangerous good 1.3c.
3.Nioa also will be using the same company but are waiting on the paperwork to be finalised after some of it was filled out wrong.
4.Tamworth Firearms only has a license for 200kgs. Up until last week when the new carrier started we hadn't had a powder delivery for 3 months.

Steve
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

steven wrote:Here are some facts on the powder situation.
2.They are only allowed to deliver 50kgs per day per shop which is the same as when Nioa were the ADI distributors. Thats the law on dangerous good 1.3c.
3.Nioa also will be using the same company but are waiting on the paperwork to be finalised after some of it was filled out wrong.
4.Tamworth Firearms only has a license for 200kgs. Up until last week when the new carrier started we hadn't had a powder delivery for 3 months.

Steve
Ok, that makes a lot more sense.

What is the transport problem, a lack of approved carriers or what? Might be a new business to go into, drive around with powder all day.

Funny how the powder is considered so dangerous, yet LPG tankers drive through town all day.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

steven wrote:Here are some facts on the powder situation.

Steve
Steve has nailed it.

Thales Australia chose to partner with Winchester in their bid for the ADF Munitions contract. The change over coincided with idiot DG laws coming into effect. I would prefer to have a truck with 20t of powder catch fire than a truck with 20,000l or petrol or LPG. One will burn hot and hard, the other will go BOOOM.

Not helped by Winchester Australia maintaining their minimum order policy ($10,000) which effectively wipes most small gunshops off the order list.

Nioa has teamed with ATK (think Weaver/Federal/RCBS) from the USA. Other shortlisted contenders are BAe Systems and RUAG (the German company that makes Geco, RWS and Norma). All four of them already run large munitions plants for other governments - the government owns the plant, the contractor runs it for a set time (usually 10 years) before it goes up for contract again.