Help reading L.D results

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: Help reading L.D results

Post by Dr G »

Con wrote:43.7 to 44gr looks best to me ... I'd be interested to see where 43.4gr would have placed. Everything beyond that is coming down the target. Maybe try a tweak by changing primer and see if it does the same or better. I agree with where you stopped being a maximum, did you see pressure signs at all?

Dr G,
This isn't quite a ladder test, although its dancing a similar tune. Your looking for where the groups are placed vertically rather than individual shots within the group. Where there's a run of groups that sit at the same vertical, further tweaking takes place with COL to reduce group size. If a group at say 43.4 had of been fired and been equal vertical to the next two, then the mid-point (43.7gr) would be where the tweaking would occur.
Cheers...
Con
PS: Yes up early ... x2 with tonsillitis. :roll:
Thanks Con you explained that much better than my attempt, hope the tonsils are better
dan_351
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260 soon

Re: Help reading L.D results

Post by dan_351 »

So trying to use the Crony at night failed!! But I did test out the 1 below and 1 above last night. It was only 8'c but I think they have both proven useful. I loaded another lot at 44.3 which again shot well too although the 43.4 is 2 in one hole and 1 astray... In saying that and reposting the 308 seating depth i had originally cut off the bottom i was shocked at what the seating depth can do.

The 3 lower targets were 0.25mm apart put proved to me how seating can really ruin a good load if not within the ball part to play with