Hornady halting bullet production for rest of 2013

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Re: Hornady halting bullet production for rest of 2013

Post by jeffk »

BP72 wrote: Might have to do some hoarding with reloading components! :hunting:

Been doing that ever since Obama got back in - kind of figured this was coming! I reckon I could supply the ADF if it came to it. :mrgreen:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Keep in mind he said "...temporarily suspend production of some items" which is NOT the same as "halting bullet production for the rest of 2013".

He also says he has 2 years of production in stock. So there shouldn't be a lack of supply for common items.Yes, some "less popular" items may become harder to get.

The whole idea is to suspend production so they can upgrade their production capabilities.

This isn't as earth shattering announcement as others make out. It's a common sense approach to meeting future demand. No need to hoard unless you rely on Hornady's "less popular" offerings (eg. you guys with wierd ass rounds). However, it never hurts to have more ammunition than you'll need :wink:

As for me supplying the ADF? As long as they like 22LR :lol:
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Spot on The Raven,
It's a suspension in production ... but I reckon hunker down for a good 24 months minimum locally. Will be interesting to see if the full range returns as well.
Cheers...
Con
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

My only concern is 308Win. I don't know whether I should find a round that shoots in my gun and buy a case or should I not be lazy and get some components and reload?

I think I need to buy a case!!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kjd wrote:My only concern is 308Win. I don't know whether I should find a round that shoots in my gun and buy a case or should I not be lazy and get some components and reload?

I must admit to having stocked up on 308Win at the expo (thanks Abela's), even though I haven't found what shoots best in my gun yet. However, I've kept all my brass in case I ever get to the point of needing to reload.

Hmmm, what about the new Australian made ammo by Thales? Do you think they'll make projectiles available commercially? Can't see why not.

Oh, that reminds me to buy a Nagant 91/30 and a couple of tins of 7.62x54R....just in case the zombies come. :hunting:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote:
kjd wrote:My only concern is 308Win. I don't know whether I should find a round that shoots in my gun and buy a case or should I not be lazy and get some components and reload?

I must admit to having stocked up on 308Win at the expo (thanks Abela's), even though I haven't found what shoots best in my gun yet. However, I've kept all my brass in case I ever get to the point of needing to reload.

Hmmm, what about the new Australian made ammo by Thales? Do you think they'll make projectiles available commercially? Can't see why not.

Oh, that reminds me to buy a Nagant 91/30 and a couple of tins of 7.62x54R....just in case the zombies come. :hunting:
Problem is the new Outback ammo uses Sierra projectiles!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kjd wrote:Problem is the new Outback ammo uses Sierra projectiles!
I wasn't aware of that. What I was aware of was the price they're charging.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Australian Govt sold all the 30cal bullet making machines, so they outsource.

Wonder why they dont use Speer pills on the Thales ammo? :lol:
Cheers....
Con
Happy jack
Favourite Cartridge: accurate ones

Post by Happy jack »

kjd wrote:
Camel wrote::shock: You mean to say there is someone out there that doesn't already hoard reloading components. :lol:
yeah! If the dumbass American's didn't go stupid and buy everything we wouldn't be in this mess!
That is part of the problem for sure but they are also trying to fill Government orders and possibly supply some ammo to the middle east , stocks may be low after Irak and Afghanistan . They are playing down the issues . If the SHTF in the middle east concerning Syria then this situation could last longer . I hope not .
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

Con wrote:Australian Govt sold all the 30cal bullet making machines, so they outsource.

Cheers....
Con
Incredibly stupid people . You know when the World put an embargo on South Africa because of apartheid it forced them to build their own industries and a big firearms industry to boot , it made them far stronger . It just proves that following the accepted international thinking on defence and firearm trade ala UN doctrine will only make us weaker and less able to defend ourselves and that's what they want .
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Happy jack wrote:
Con wrote:Australian Govt sold all the 30cal bullet making machines, so they outsource.

Cheers....
Con
Incredibly stupid people . You know when the World put an embargo on South Africa because of apartheid it forced them to build their own industries and a big firearms industry to boot , it made them far stronger . It just proves that following the accepted international thinking on defence and firearm trade ala UN doctrine will only make us weaker and less able to defend ourselves and that's what they want .

Come on Happy Jack, you know as well as the rest of us that the Un is going to unite the globe under one great big banner of peace and happiness, we just wont need to protect our boarders and resources, they will all be sold over seas. :twisted:
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

Camel wrote:
Happy jack wrote:

Cheers....
Con

Come on Happy Jack, you know as well as the rest of us that the Un is going to unite the globe under one great big banner of peace and happiness, we just wont need to protect our boarders and resources, they will all be sold over seas. :twisted:
Yeah I fogot about that . I think they call the plan Peacfull slavery .