do i need to worry about land's distance?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Hawkeye

Re: do i need to worry about land's distance?

Post by Hawkeye »

Yea I pushed the projectile up through the primer picket with a piece of fencing wire. It will be interesting to see if dads .223 has the same problem as its also a Ruger Hawkeye
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by alex1 »

I have heard another way as well that you can insert the projectile in the case. Similar what plowboy said although you use a hacksaw and saw straight through the mouth of the case and stop at the neck. this will allow the projectile to be seated in the chamber and not allowing a lot of force to the rifling as it can easily force the case mouth to accept the projectile without getting the bullet stuck.
then just adjust the seating die down a smidgen.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thats also a great way but only if you want to render the case unusable. Plowboys idea and the one I tried uses a fired case that hasn't been neck sized yet.
All you do is slowly neck size a little at a time until the projectile is a snug but not tight fit. Push the projectile up with a small piece of wire through the primer hole, take your measurement, neck size properly and reload that case.
No wasting that way
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Hawkeye I keep one case as a gauge case to use as a quick reference to visually confirm I am right. It stays right next to the press so I can look at the first of a new bunch. It doesn't have to be a top quality one as it will never be fired. I drilled the primer pocket out so I cannot use it. I don't see it as a waste. It's only one case.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Plowboy wrote: I don't see it as a waste. It's only one case.
Buy Remington Brass. I have always got at least 1 extra cases.
The last 100 270 (2 bags of 50) i got 4 extras. I also got 4 extras in a bag of 100 223 rem a while back.
Lapua give you exactly the amount the box says :(
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Plowboy wrote:Hawkeye I keep one case as a gauge case to use as a quick reference to visually confirm I am right. It stays right next to the press so I can look at the first of a new bunch. It doesn't have to be a top quality one as it will never be fired. I drilled the primer pocket out so I cannot use it. I don't see it as a waste. It's only one case.
Yea thats a great idea as long as you load the same projectile as the gauge. I know of guys that have a gauge just like you have for every projectile that they load as a quick reference.
I'd do it if I could but its pointless with my rifle
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah I have three cases so far. Will be more but have not done any loading of some projies yet.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

My first thought was, it depends on how big a boat you are in, then I read the posts and realized I was way off topic, :roll: Bye :wink:
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Knackers wrote:
My first thought was, it depends on how big a boat you are in, then I read the posts and realized I was way off topic, :roll: Bye :wink:
Stop when the sounder goes beep beep and a <1m symbol comes up
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

well every projectile is different of the same type and brand lot too lot theirs driven part is different too even out the same box, bullet comporator is must for varintin rifles, to keep lenth of a round uniform.