may i present... the 20 Dogdonga

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

may i present... the 20 Dogdonga

Post by andrewk »

i posted a thread earlier about the famous JAB 20 and 20 vartarg to get an idea of what they were and what people knew about them. which lead me to fluffing around in the gun room attempting to wreck perfectly fine brass so i figured i'd have a crack at making my 204-222 adaption.

so 222 case through a 17fireball fl die to get the desired shoulder angle then into my 204 die to neck back up again. chop it down .305thou shorter than the 204 case and here it is...... something most likely already done before and really only another 20 cal, the 20 dogdonga.

just for comparison i've shown it, left to right, with the 17hmr, 17firebal, the holy of all 20cals it's self and the 204 ruger.

open to critizism :lol:
Attachments
26022010299.jpg
dantheman

Re: may i present... the 20 Dogdonga

Post by dantheman »

good stuff mate,the name,is that dog-donga,will this be a fox specific cartridge ??, what bullet brand will you use,sounds good mate, i will be interrested in how she goes :wink:
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

look forward to seeing the ballistics tables :D
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

dantheman wrote:good stuff mate,the name,is that dog-donga,will this be a fox specific cartridge ??, what bullet brand will you use,sounds good mate, i will be interrested in how she goes :wink:
thanks dan, yeah mate dog-donga as in whacking them in the head with a shovel :D definately fox specific, the hummer can rest easy now since i won't get angry with it and it's lousy fox performance...... no only stirring. :lol:

bullet wise i'm not sure but i'll try what i can a hold of. nosler 32's, barnes 26's, hornady 32's... do you know of any others?
want to keep them light.

tim, i'm sure we'll be comparing wildcats at some stage :wink: how the 19 calhoon going? i'll work out the ballistics when it gets up and running. only intending it to take down fox out to 200m tops.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

sierra 32's as well. I would go with the 32's period. VG's just havent performed well in any rifles ive tried them in. The other option would be 35gr bergers but they are $$$. Interesting looking case, I would say the 32's should be going around the 3800fps mark and thats going to be rather good flat shooting to 300m on foxes.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

check this mob out, http://www.nonamebullets.com . 20 cal bullet makers in the u/s :auto:
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

Looks like a mini WSM or 243.

Sounds interesting.

Go to ammoguide.com and you can put in dimensions and make a new cartridge
BIG E
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by BIG E »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like ya gunna make something look pretty pukd up good effort cnt wait 2 hear how it goes
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

No critizism mate! least your of your backside doin something and havin fun :D :D :D

All the best
John
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

dantheman wrote:check this mob out, http://www.nonamebullets.com . 20 cal bullet makers in the u/s :auto:
interesting, have you tried them dan? do you know what they cost to get here?
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

dangaff wrote:Looks like a mini WSM or 243.

Sounds interesting.

Go to ammoguide.com and you can put in dimensions and make a new cartridge
dangaff, i tried that site and there's one other cartridge that fits the parameters but i couldn't find out what it was :(
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Whats the overall length and water capacity of that dogdonga cartridge andrew?

Jethro agian :wink:
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Andrew, just a thought :!: :!: If you already have a factory 204rug rifle and you really want another20 cal based on the 222 case for shooting 32vmax why not get the smith to unscrew the factory tube off whatever action your factory gun is and cut the chamber off to suit the 222 case length & screw it to your tikka55 action. THEEEEN order a new .204 tube in 9 twist & chamber to 204rug & shoot those long slippery berger 50grainers. :rifle: :mrgreen:

I love helping people spend money :D

Jethro again :wink:
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

she's a whopping 1.565" in case length and holds 25.9gr of water including primer pocket filled to the top of the neck.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

andrewk wrote:
dantheman wrote:check this mob out, http://www.nonamebullets.com . 20 cal bullet makers in the u/s :auto:
interesting, have you tried them dan? do you know what they cost to get here?
hi andrew,no mate i haven't tried these bullets, i can only go on some of the comments made on them from other u/s forums, they all seem happy with them, but i would be very interested in trying some out if they were for sale here, 34gr & 39gr or if someone was going to get some over. regards, dan