Lee Collet Dies

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Lee Collet Dies

Post by Rumpus »

Bought myself a set of Lee Collet Dies, for my 30-06 to use in my RCBS press..

Havnt done any yet as i dont have enough brass but was doing some reading and came across this in the manual,
This set is designed for assembling the most accurate ammunition, but is not recommended for hunting rounds as the case is neck sized only and the bullet is not crimped in case.
Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Can I still use these dies to load up my hunting rounds or not? I only want to neck size and have never crimped any of my bullets??

Obviosly these work a little differently to my RCBS dies, perhaps i should have stuck with them??
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Lee Collet Dies

Post by trevort »

ignore that. Most loaders only neck size for accuracy.
Occassionally your cases will have strectched enough that they wont chamber and a fl size may be needed, depending on lots of variable it could be every 3rd or every 10th load. You dont want to find out in the field.

Try chambering your neck sized rounds before you load them. If they chamber, fine, fill em up!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I think it also points to usually there is less neck tension than even a full length sized case. I use it without issue in my old 6.5x55 and have been happy with it.

Ryan
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Lee Collet Dies

Post by Sam Walker »

Google is handy for finding out this kind of thing ! a bit of basic searching and you'll find some really good tips + tricks like how to adjust them , how to polish the lower section of the mandrel down a bit to get rid of the "suction pop" when the mandrel comes out of the neck and a few other things.
They're good gear if you get them adjusted right - the instructions supplied aren't the best so read a few of the write ups you'll find with Google

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49899
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

I think that might be for dangerous game hunters, you can't risk a jammed round because the case was slightly oversized. Or for Americans who use semi-auto rifles.
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

If your 30.06 was a lever action with a tube mag then you would nead to crimp the projectiles in otherwise its not needed or recomended, undersized manderals for the lee collet dies are avaliable for increased neck tension if needed.

Glenn
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I have a Lee Collet Die for my swift, I like it and would without hesitation buy another :shock: As has been said Google is your friend as far as setting the die up.My suggestion would be to place the instructions, that came with the Dies,In a suitable receptacle.
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

i thought that was just a precautionary notice... without any explaination!

maybe because when hunting you usually have more than one round in the rifle (eg Magazines or Tube loading) thus the recoil in a hunting rifle could move the bullet in or out of the shells neck slightly - hence giving you a compressed load or jaming the bullet into the lands - either way this could turn your safe load into a dangerous load due to increasing chamber pressures etc.