exploding inertia hammer

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
250-3000
Favourite Cartridge: 250-3000

Re: exploding inertia hammer

Post by 250-3000 »

Another hater of the hammer pullers here, snapped one good an proper the other day, I've pulled maybe 600 odd rounds with it, and would be fucked if I was going to waste the $45 to get another one.

Bought a Hornady Cam Lock with 22cal and 25 Cal collets for $71 shipped from QLD gunexchange.

$35 for the die piece, $12.95 for the collet.

Works much better and much quicker with no noise!
Xcalibre

Post by Xcalibre »

andrewk wrote:well not quite but having a primer go off while hammering away at dismantling 243 ammo was enough to near solid my pants. i felt bits hit my face and arms, wasn't wearing safety glasses which i always have while hand loading ammunition. thank my lucky stars that the 45 odd grains of 2209 didn't go with it. :shock:

so probably a good time to remind all that we need our eyes to see what we are shooting at. 8)
Your eyes are the greatest gift you have, bloody lucky! Seems to me though that primer was inserted arse about and blew backwards after the anvil moved forward and ignited the primer compound. This explains plastic blowing back into your face and why the load didn't light up.
To those not in the know, always place the cases neck down after priming for a visual of each primer. This will pick up insertion depth, misalignment, pressure damage and the odd spent primer re inserted. A click with no bang is better than a bang with no click!
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

my reloading skills are better than my bullet pulling. definately the right way round cos it blackened the primer pocket upon ejecting itself.

also if it were the wrong way round i might have noticed that putting the round in the hammer and then if i didn't the primer cup would have still been in the primer pocket.

anyway the hammer has a new collet and i've pulled at least another 80 odds rounds with no incident and wore safety glasses for everyone.