Below minimum load's

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Below minimum load's

Post by dangaff »

Is there any consequences if you make your loads below the minimum?

Or is the minimum just there as a guide?

The only consequence i can think of is, if its ultra slow and the bullet doesn't come out of the barrel.

Thanks
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Re: Below minimum load's

Post by Sam Walker »

In some instances there can be Secondary Explosion Effect (SEE) mainly with the slower powders in large cases. Low power loads can be done with small charges of fast powders but it's not something to approach with a "she'll be right" kind of attitude. If you can't find proven safe loads with some searching on the internet, you can either take a risk with trial and error, or use a different rifle better suited to the job. Trailboss is one powder that you can use for low power loads. Do some Google searching and see what you find. There was some discussion on AHN re Trailboss in big bore rifles in the last few weeks
dangaff
.204 Ruger

Post by dangaff »

Yeah, i want to join AHN except i need a decent email, only got hotmail.

Anyway, back to topic:
Yeah because i was thinking on buying a hornet and using it as a lightweight varminter and also combined with ballistics similar to a .22WMR, read about it in shooter and it really fancied me, besides the fact bullets & components are as cheap as dirt.

Thanks
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

dangaff wrote:Yeah, i want to join AHN except i need a decent email, only got hotmail.
Have a look at the AHN site and send admin a message explaining why you use a hotmail address. They will let you join with one just need to contact them about it.
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

Shoot adi an e-mail (sorry about the pun :lol: ) and tell them what you want, e.g a subsonic load for the 22 hornet, they should provide you with the powder load and type.

I asked for a low power/velocity load for my 30/06 mauser as i don't want to run full power loads through her, if they can give me a subsonic 30/06 load, im sure they can with a 22 hornet.
dangaff
.204 Ruger

Post by dangaff »

Good idea

Will do, once it come's around closer

.22 Hornet good cartiridge for walkabout varminter/WMR subsistute?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

dangaff wrote:Good idea

Will do, once it come's around closer

.22 Hornet good cartiridge for walkabout varminter/WMR subsistute?
Get a 222 or 223 mate. Trust me it will give you more flexibility.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

DO some searching of this site, been a few discussions on the Hornet. They can be great but they can be frustrating too. Most of the guys who say nah don't get a Hornet, have never had one themselves ! I've had one, in a cheap,break open single shot rifle. IMO you've got to be handloading to get the best out of it, and if shopping for one, look for a K Hornet, with dies.
If you just want to be able to buy a box of ammo over the counter and go shooting then .222 or .223 will do the job easier but a bit louder
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

Im sure with a bit of reloading experience and some help from ADI, you could get a 22 WMR power load from the 223. I think the 223 would be more versatile, But im sure the 22 hornet would be a fun cartridge to play with (i have no experience with it) and cheap as chips (cheaper then 22mag) to load for.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

If you were running a hornet just run it with normal loads, minimal recoil and noise already, with only 10 grains of powder etc

I have a 222 rimmed and the 222 is a real pussy cat, not really that loud but double the gr than the hornet, but will easily shoot out to 200.

Ryan
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

What are the pros and cons of a little fireball (mayby in .17 or .20) over a k/hornet?
Lapua brass?
Easier to load?
More eficient?
Good accuracy?

Glenn
dangaff
.204 Ruger

Post by dangaff »

yeah, i was also thinking on a 223 because there is also a wider range of used guns.

Just didnt know how much you could load it down, the article was interesting how he brang down a hornet to a WMR in one gun, all though i cant recall him saying if it shift the zero or not, which could be a pain if it did.

Plus yeah, i think it was costing him 10 cents or less per shot or something ridiculously low, will re read the article and look into it further as well.

Thanks
dangaff
.204 Ruger

Post by dangaff »

I just re read the article, and i must of missed it the first time, where he state's that even the reduced loads are just as loud as the Hornet anyway.

So all though it would be a cost effective thing to do, i arnt all to worried about the fund's.

So i might just go with a 223 lightweight or something similar, i got a ton of time anyway.

Thanks