Crimping

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
cazza412

Crimping

Post by cazza412 »

Was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on crimping reloads. As most die sets come with a crimping die, is there any advantage to doing this? Does it create more pressure in the load, higher velocity, what?? I believe most factory ammo is crimped and they obviously do this for a reason. I reload for 223 and 22 hornet. I welcome your comments.

Cheers, Cazza. :?
R.J.
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Crimping

Post by R.J. »

I remember reading that crimping is used to protect the projectile from shifting in the case neck in heavy recoiling rifles. Im not sure, but what you say about increasing pressure makes sense to me.

Someone with more reloading experience will be along shortly.....
siacci

Post by siacci »

I was crimping the 223 reloads for a while but stopped (lazy). I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the ammo.

Crimped projectiles will not moved in the neck, but I have had some not crimped move a little. Figured it was a someting I did during resizing.

Dave
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

So would it only be handy if you were reloading for pig,deer,goat and higher..
and not to worry about it with varmint?
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

I can remember reading a bit writen by Richard Lee where he claimed it can improve accuracy if done correctly.
More uniform neck tension and better powder burn from memory.
glennasher1

Post by glennasher1 »

I wouldn't bother crimping .223s at all, but most of the Hornet fans in the US are now crimping their Hornet loads, claiming it helps ignition and keeps the primer from pushing the bullet downbore before the powder burns (they are also using small pistol primers to assist that latter point).

I'm just now getting back into Hornets from a 25 year layoff, so I can't say whether or not they are right, YET. I intend to find out for myself, whenever the weather allows (it's the middle of winter here).
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

most die sets DONT come with crimping die, for a reason. For your calibres its a WFT.