20 practical case details

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

20 practical case details

Post by Brad Y »

For anyone who owns, loads for or is looking at building a 20 prac, Ive been playing with some cases and taking measurements etc.

Remington cases:

Loaded round neck dia is 0.227"
Im using a 0.226" bushing so 1 thou neck tension

Lapua cases:

Loaded round neck dia is 0.230"
Using the 0.226" bushing is no good so I have found (strips copper off the projectile when seating with too much neck tension). Am now looking to do a swap- a 0.225" for a 0.229" bushing if anyone has one :wink:

Just in case this helps anyone.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: 20 practical case details

Post by Plowboy »

I am guessing Brad that lapua brass is going to be a little different to other cheaper brands of brass since you mentioned the name. If I build one, it would be for varminting only and I would have thought that this would not warrant getting expensive brass for fear of loosing them
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I had the same mentality. But then after deburring flash holes, uniforming primer pockets etc on remington cases I just couldnt be bothered doing it all again for another 100 cases. Plus the rems primer pockets are loose with remington 7 1/2 primers. That was straight out of the bag. I expect to get more shots out of the better quality brass and I dont have to spend the time doing it. I tried to ignore all this, but its logic. After shooting a 22Br in the field for a year, you learn not to lose brass so im pretty good at finding them all.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

OK fair enough. I am thinking of making up a bag to go over the ejection port of the .223 to catch them as they fly out. When shooting in the ute, the cases fly out the window unless I bring the rifle right in and then eject them. This is a pain as the target can get away if I miss or if multiple targets are there there are usually gone by the time the you get the rifle back in position.

Problem is how to attach it so I don't cover up the mag and how to make it not so bulky.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

If it is a Remo,knock the little roll pin out at the front of the bolt and remove the plunger and spring and then cut a couple of coils of the spring.
Refit the parts and try it again,worst case if that it wont eject and if thats the case just stretch the spring a bit or get another on from the machine shop and start again,when set right the cases will just clear the action.

Regards Chris.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Mine is a tikka. Not bothered with the way they eject, just want to catch them as they come out instead of doing the rifle in thing. The way I shoot, I would still have to have a bag as the rifle is sitting on a rest.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Plowboy wrote:OK fair enough. I am thinking of making up a bag to go over the ejection port of the .223 to catch them as they fly out. When shooting in the ute, the cases fly out the window unless I bring the rifle right in and then eject them. This is a pain as the target can get away if I miss or if multiple targets are there there are usually gone by the time the you get the rifle back in position.

Problem is how to attach it so I don't cover up the mag and how to make it not so bulky.

Think that sort of set up was brought up in a thread before and someone quoted regulations to say it was illegal. Seemed ridiculous to me but think its true. So if you come up with an effective bag system then dont post about it, but could you send me one :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

WTF would a bag on the side of a gun make it so much more dangerous? Jesus these laws are stupid! Farcanal!

Anyway no worries trev!
clive
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by clive »

Plowboy writes;
"Mine is a tikka. Not bothered with the way they eject, just want to catch them as they come out"

Mine is a Tikka as well, but the left hand bolt version. If I don't catch the case it ends up inside the vehicle. I can pick it up at my leisure.

When I remember, I hold my non-trigger hand over the ejection port while I work the bolt.
If I get it right (only about 1 time in every 4 tries) I end up with the case caught between my fingers. Otherwise the case bounces back inside the action and I can fish it out quite quickly with the tip of one finger before I bring the bolt back forward with a new round.

So if a catch bag is out of the question you could try a left hand drive ute!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Your an ideas man clive! I dunno if you can get repeater actions in RH bolt LH ejection but that would solve it too.