Reloading under threat

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Re: Reloading under threat

Post by juzz338 »

there is already a limit in nsw and it is governed by work cover as for controlling it, well you all know the reality there, especially when most gun shops do not even know the limit. limit for powder is 10kg, loaded ammo is considered a safety cartridge and therefore comes under a different regulation and is unrestricted unless you intend to sell it.
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Also a limit in Victoria, S.A amd W.A, most likely the other states are the same as the work cover laws while different usually have similar limits, plus DG is national not state. There is also a limit on the carriage of it, if you have over a 1kg TUB THEN IT CANT TRAVEL IN YOUR CAR ( Not 100% sure on the 1 kg but when I was doing DG in the ARMY I nearly fell over at how small the amount was.. Then start looking at DG licences and DG permits etc. The laws are already there to make it hard, just not enforced for us shooters.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Trev wrote:Also a limit in Victoria, S.A amd W.A, most likely the other states are the same as the work cover laws while different usually have similar limits, plus DG is national not state. There is also a limit on the carriage of it, if you have over a 1kg TUB THEN IT CANT TRAVEL IN YOUR CAR ( Not 100% sure on the 1 kg but when I was doing DG in the ARMY I nearly fell over at how small the amount was.. Then start looking at DG licences and DG permits etc. The laws are already there to make it hard, just not enforced for us shooters.
Not enforced because its impossible to enforce it efficiently,

Fact of the matter is that handloading is not on the radar and even if it was they can't effectively police it. Their only option would be to restrict the amounts gunshops can have making it as rare as hens teeth. But then you'd just order it.

This whole idea of reloading being in danger is silly. More threat of losing more guns than handloading. If they were going to target ammo first it will be factory ammo anyway.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Encoded bullets the end of reloading...hogwash...

Just one link .. there are many more and no mention of casting lead ones!!

http://www.corbins.com/howto.htm
spinna
.22 WMR

Post by spinna »

Banning the Importation of primers could F#$^& up handloading in a big way in this country (one of these days...)

Spinna
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

spinna wrote:Banning the Importation of primers could F#$^& up handloading in a big way in this country (one of these days...)

Spinna
back to flintlocks and flashpans :lol: what do ya reckon mister foxy would think if he saw that coming at night time??
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

I reckon they have a lot bigger fish to fry to be honest. I suppose you would never find out but I would love to know how many crimes are commited with handloaded ammo each year. I am thinkin a big fat zero. I am still pretty sure that this is just rumour and is a bloody good one for stiring up some fellas
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

The rumour stems from California and Hollyweird - pack of gun grabbing fagoots who hate guns but love taking it from behind. California (or some organisation based there) tried to promote it a few years ago. From memory the organisation was drumming up a captive market for its 'product'........which was encoded bullets.

It got thrown out.
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

steven wrote:Found this posted over on Benchrest Central by someone from here in Aus...is this guy for real or just reading the wrong mags....if its true then a lot of us that shoot custom cartridges are in deep shit.

My concerns will probably be of more interest to OZ shooters than others but I feel that there may be a government initiative afoot to ban handloading. Have a good look at your SSAA magazine and you will notice that there are no more handloading articles or recommended loads. All gun reviews are with factory loads, and they have even killed off the 'Gun Doctor.' Recently control of rifle powder was given to the department of mines and energy and at least one gun shop owner, who incidently is heavily involved in SSAA affairs, has stopped selling rifle powder. I hope I am wrong, but I think that handloading is about to be banned and that the SSAA knows, and are going to sit on their hands exactly as they did with gun control in 1996[
I smell a rat here.
Faceless keyboard heroes like this 'murphy' who go on International sites and spruik this sort of stuff usually have another agenda.

I am the guy who does most of the rifle reviews for the SSAA magazine, and yes, we use the factory ammunition that is supplied by the distributor. Quite often though, I also run some of my own handloads through the gun - this is usually revealed in the story.

There is also a regular column called "Reloading" by Barry Wilmott - or didn't you notice that?
Perhaps you can get someone to read it to you.

The inspection of powder etc has been under the control of various Govt Departments for as long as I can remember - in SA it is done by Workplace Services I believe. Someone has to do it, and there is nothing sinister there. In SA, any policeman can also inspect powder storage as part of the home visitation program for firearm security checking.

We did not kill off the "Gun Doctor" - what absolute rubbish! Ian Campbell is terminally ill with cancer, and has been unable to continue his duties since the start of this year. Let's just show a bit of respect shall we.

I'd be really curious to know who the gun shop owner who is 'heavily involved with SSAA affairs' is, and if he has stopped selling powder that's his choice. Every State has different restrictions as to how much powder can be held by shops and individuals. To my knowledge this hasn't changed in some time.

If the SSAA is aware that handloading is in trouble, then why is one of the SSAA branches the Australian distributor of Swiss black powder and has imported a couple of tons of this stuff?

I just love it when faceless dickheads post crap to a world wide forum with no basis in fact. Perhaps a simple polite inquiry to the actual people who really do know what is going on might be in order....but of course that would be courtesy and common sense.

Brendan Atkinson
Technical Adviser
SSAA Publications
Last edited by jimbo on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Here here Brendan!!
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

You tell ,em Brendan!
Please make sure you post that piece on Benchrest Central for a proper rebuttal of the utter crap the guy wrote.
All of these wannabe bigtime twits need a lesson in reality on a regular basis.
Ray.