Reloading under threat

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Reloading under threat

Post by steven »

Found this posted over on Benchrest Central by someone from here in Aus...is this guy for real or just reading the wrong mags....if its true then a lot of us that shoot custom cartridges are in deep shit.

[quote]My concerns will probably be of more interest to OZ shooters than others but I feel that there may be a government initiative afoot to ban handloading. Have a good look at your SSAA magazine and you will notice that there are no more handloading articles or recommended loads. All gun reviews are with factory loads, and they have even killed off the 'Gun Doctor.' Recently control of rifle powder was given to the department of mines and energy and at least one gun shop owner, who incidently is heavily involved in SSAA affairs, has stopped selling rifle powder. I hope I am wrong, but I think that handloading is about to be banned and that the SSAA knows, and are going to sit on their hands exactly as they did with gun control in 1996[
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: Reloading under threat

Post by Con »

1. No handloading because factory ammunition is pretty good ... and reviews are rushed through, no time to 'fine tune'. By the way ... handloads are still used by G&G and AS on occasion.
2. Gun Doctor ... terminal illness ... cancer I believe. "Killed" off is a poor and I hope unintended use of words.
3. My LGS also stopped selling some powders when it changed distribution ... and was no longer profitable.
4. SSAA may indeed sit on their hands ... but often we don't see the hands moving ... I hope they are still in it for the average shooter though.

Besides ... its not the powder that's the limiting factor in centrefire ammunition. :wink:

Cheers...
Con
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Recently control of rifle powder was given to the department of mines and energy
Here in Qld powder, both black & smokeless and primers have long been under the jurisdiction of the Mines Dept. Still need a licence to buy the stuff but the gunshop records go to Mines not FAR or Police.

At both of my safekeeping inspections the Police had no interest whatsoever in ammo or reloading gear or its storage - in fact when I asked if they wanted to see it they refused to even look.

There is some 'noise' about bringing in restrictions on how much powder you can store at home, but how the hell are they going to police that??
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

We should all be tackling the real issues not making up pretend ones.

Reloading is not under threat, there is no way that the government even thinks about reloading and there are plenty bigger fish to fry.

His reasoning is full of shit anyway.

Though Sean Ambrose will agree with him but my previous sentence says it all I think ;-)
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i agree with keith.

look at what's in the latest hunter mag, there's an article on downloading the 22 hornet for use in more built up areas. there's a permanant department in the shooter mag for reloading and the september issue had an article on home made electric primer pocket cleaners which i'd call hand-loading relevant.

yeah this guy know's what he's on about short of a few facts:roll:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

kjd wrote:We should all be tackling the real issues not making up pretend ones.

Reloading is not under threat, there is no way that the government even thinks about reloading and there are plenty bigger fish to fry.

His reasoning is full of shit anyway.

Though Sean Ambrose will agree with him but my previous sentence says it all I think ;-)
Keith,

Mate...you need to unplug and do some research and do away with reading Zoo and Picture magazines.....do yourself a favor and read Machiavelli's the Prince.

There have been moves in the United States to introduce 'encoded ammunition' as a means of fighting crime. This would certainly spell the end for 'handloading' if you take into consideration that a cartridge may pass through a set of dies at least three dozen times and that the data imprinting would in time lose it's effectiveness.

We all know that it would not prevent crime but it's not what we know that matters, it is what the 'Government' wants.

To conclude, I was once told by a very wise man that 'paranoia' is having total awareness of your environment.

Regards

Sean
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Sooooooooooo how many match heads would it take to equal 50gns of 2208 :wink: I had better start stocking up on redheads.

Regards Chris.
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Sean Ambrose wrote:
kjd wrote:We should all be tackling the real issues not making up pretend ones.

Keith,

Mate...you need to unplug and do some research and do away with reading Zoo and Picture magazines.....do yourself a favor and read Machiavelli's the Prince.

There have been moves in the United States to introduce 'encoded ammunition' as a means of fighting crime. This would certainly spell the end for 'handloading' if you take into consideration that a cartridge may pass through a set of dies at least three dozen times and that the data imprinting would in time lose it's effectiveness.

We all know that it would not prevent crime but it's not what we know that matters, it is what the 'Government' wants.

To conclude, I was once told by a very wise man that 'paranoia' is having total awareness of your environment.

Regards

Sean

The encoded ammunition is being pushed by a company that owns the patents to it and so has a vested interest
in it happening.

Everybody knows that it won;t do a damn thing to prevent crime.

For a start, how many bullets are out there already uncoded ?
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

500Nitro wrote:
Nowhere near enough! :lol:
Cheers...
Con
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

chris.tyne wrote:Sooooooooooo how many match heads would it take to equal 50gns of 2208 :wink: I had better start stocking up on redheads.

Regards Chris.

ah hahahaha i was going to start collecting too. did anyone else when they were kids scrape the match heads off and screw the powder between 2 bolts and chuck it down the street?
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

Let's not confuse Paranoia: Paranoia is a thought process heavily influenced by excessive anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. In the original Greek, παράνοια (paranoia) simply means madness (para = outside; nous = mind). Historically, this characterization was used to describe any delusional state.

with Situational Awareness.

Rath
Last edited by Rath on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

kjd wrote:
The encoded ammunition is being pushed by a company that owns the patents to it and so has a vested interest
in it happening.

Everybody knows that it won;t do a damn thing to prevent crime.

Keith,

No surprises there. In fact it wouldn't be the first time that politicians have been found doing the bidding of the Industrialists or those with capital under false pretenses.

Cui Bono?

William Randolph Hearst comes to mind with his campaign to have the production of hemp prohibited, as does Donald Rumsfield with his stake in Tamiflu or Ol mate Gore and his vested interests in Carbon Credit trading.

The trans Afghan pipeline and the production of Opium, no surprises that at least 80% of the Opium cultivated there ends up on the streets of Britain. Its not the first time that the British have pushed drugs, one only need recite the war on China and the Golden triangle. The British used the Company P&O to carry the drugs and flew the flag of the skull & cross bones to signal to other vessels to ensure the safe passage of that vessel.

Regards

Sean
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Roooooooooooly Troooooooooooly incredulous,Sean you are either much older than you look and have been and seen a lot or...................................are living proof that one can actually read to much :) .

Regards Chris.
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

And leave my books out of it! Well i do not read them, really.

Cheers,
Peter
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

HiWall wrote: There is some 'noise' about bringing in restrictions on how much powder you can store at home, but how the hell are they going to police that??
the main restricting factor here is under mines regulations AFIR and what your insewerance cfompany will cover in case of fire etc
over a certain (small value) Kg amount and your insewerance is void- no payout if something goes wrong

P