Predator Pojectiles

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Predator Pojectiles

Post by Brad Y »

Anyone know if predator pojectiles are going to do 22, 6mm 6.5mm, and 7mm bullets at all? I would be all over a 90g high BC match bullet in 22 cal!
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Re: Predator Pojectiles

Post by Curtley78 »

I hope they start turning out 7mm projectiles......

Regards

Sean
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

who are predator pojectiles- webpage link please?

only thing I know called predator in a pojectile is a certain type of Air rifle slug with a polymer tip like a Nosler ballistic tip

If they are an aussie mob- customer demand maybe whats required to get them to produce in other weight/caliber ranges

maybe a pettition/Poll/Group buy from here might help get production going

P
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

http://www.predatorprojectiles.com.au/

I thought they were based in the NT for some reason, but on the contacts page is says Victoria. :?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I wonder if the .458's will run in a 45/70 for long range stuff :rifle:
An email has been sent.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

I ran a half dozen 235 grnrs on Friday over 500 meters through the 338 Winchester Magnum and let me say they are a very, very impressive projectile and I will certainly be purchasing more.

I was able to head shoot the steel ram at 500 meters, although with only having a sporting barrel after two to three rounds the accuracy was lost due to the heat generated by 75 grns of powder.

As a long range caliber there is nothing wrong with 338 Winchester Magnum nor Predator Projectiles. I did have a look around the target frame area hoping to find one (or the fragments for examination) but no such luck.

I also intend to trial their 30 cal projectiles.

Regards

Sean
wadcutter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .338Win Mag

Post by wadcutter »

Sean Ambrose wrote:I ran a half dozen 235 grnrs on Friday over 500 meters through the 338 Winchester Magnum and let me say they are a very, very impressive projectile and I will certainly be purchasing more.

I was able to head shoot the steel ram at 500 meters, although with only having a sporting barrel after two to three rounds the accuracy was lost due to the heat generated by 75 grns of powder.

As a long range caliber there is nothing wrong with 338 Winchester Magnum nor Predator Projectiles. I did have a look around the target frame area hoping to find one (or the fragments for examination) but no such luck.

I also intend to trial their 30 cal projectiles.

Regards

Sean
Sean,
I just ordered some of these same 235 grain .338 cal projectiles.
What load did you use in your .338WM? I want to give them a try in my .338WM and also my .338Edge if I can work out a safe load.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

wadcutter wrote:
Sean,

I just ordered some of these same 235 grain .338 cal projectiles.
What load did you use in your .338WM? I want to give them a try in my .338WM and also my .338Edge if I can work out a safe load.
G'day Wadcutter,

I ran these using 75 grns of Vihta Vuori N 560 and CCI bench rest primers. I had intended to place them over Rinsos chrony, however, like an impatient kid on cracker night I didn't have the discipline to save any. I intend to get out to Silverdale again within the next fortnight and will do a few loads and speed them then.

For the 338 Lapua Magnum I would be looking around the 85 grn mark as a trial load using N 560. This is 7.7 grn below what is listed in Volume 3 of the Vihta Vuori reloading manual for a 225 grn projectile.

I have found that the Vihta Vuori powder is more sensitive to our climate and that generally using well below what is specified in their manual results with greater velocities then what has been published.

I would also not use Magnum primers, I ruptured a few cases whilst using Magnum primers with 2213 and 250 grn Sierra Match Kings.

Take care and be cautious.

Regards

Sean
wadcutter
.17 HMR

Post by wadcutter »

Sean Ambrose wrote: I would also not use Magnum primers, I ruptured a few cases whilst using Magnum primers with 2213 and 250 grn Sierra Match Kings.
Sean
mmmmmmmm.........Those ruptured cases don't sound too good. I have had a few pin holes and split necks develope in some cases over the years but I have never "ruptured" a case with any of my relaods. I always use Magnum primers in Magnum cases. Maybe you got a crook batch of brass cases? What brand were they?
wadcutter
.17 HMR

Post by wadcutter »

Just checked the stability factor of these bullets. With a 1 : 10 twist barrel
1.12@2700 fps and 1.20@3000 fps

So they are below the recomended stability factor of 1.4 for a reliable stable bullet. This means that they may or may not shoot in some rifles with a 1 : 10 twist barrel.

Only one way to find out..................... Stay tuned.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

wadcutter wrote:Just checked the stability factor of these bullets. With a 1 : 10 twist barrel

So they are below the recomended stability factor of 1.4 for a reliable stable bullet. This means that they may or may not shoot in some rifles with a 1 : 10 twist barrel.

Hey mate, how/ where did you find or work that out?
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

wadcutter wrote:
Sean Ambrose wrote: I would also not use Magnum primers, I ruptured a few cases whilst using Magnum primers with 2213 and 250 grn Sierra Match Kings.
Sean
mmmmmmmm.........Those ruptured cases don't sound too good. I have had a few pin holes and split necks develope in some cases over the years but I have never "ruptured" a case with any of my relaods. I always use Magnum primers in Magnum cases. Maybe you got a crook batch of brass cases? What brand were they?
G'day Wadcutter,

This occurred using Winchester Brass. Mal also experienced excessive pressure signs using Magnum primers whilst developing loads for his 300 Winchester Magnum and I am certain that he has also since developed a load with-out using them.

Regards

Sean
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

wadcutter wrote:Just checked the stability factor of these bullets. With a 1 : 10 twist barrel

Hi Wadcutter

In my stability program anything over 1 is marginally stabilised and 1.3 is fully, I have found that projectiles that are close to 1 ever .9 often are fine although I have to try them at long range to see if they transition within range or past it.

This is the calc i have been using for sometime now
bulletstabilitycalc.xls
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Interesting spreadsheet, thanks for posting ImageImage
wadcutter
.17 HMR

Post by wadcutter »

I got my stability factor from the "Point Mass" ballistic program. It seems to use the same factors that are in your sperad sheet but I am not sure of the actual calculation that derives the factor.
A factor of 1.4 is suppose to mean that the bullet is reliably stabilised so this also fits in with the spread sheet of between 1.3 for stable and 1.5 for being ideal.

Just have to try the bullets and see how they go