which is the best 223 factory load?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: which is the best 223 factory load?

Post by Brad Y »

There are some soft points that are more suitable for medium game and not varmints too. What ammo are you using exactly? Plastic tips are the go for varmints as you can see from Trevor T's pics but hollow points will do well too. Try to find the winchester USA hollow point rounds and try them, they work very well.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

kjd wrote:This is what I want you to do next time you are out. Get some coke cans/bottles (600mL) get say 6 of them and put them out at unknown distances from 50m to around 300. Shoot at them get someone to spot where the shot goes if it misses. This will be a good indication of where you are shooting at different distances and also a barrel of fun! See which ones are easy to hit and which ones take a few shots to hit. Will give you an idea anyways.
I would suggest 1.25L laying on the side, it would be about the size of a large rabbit or hare. But it isn't quite as challenging.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

What ever size you use, if you put water in the bottle (only 1/3 full) you will actually get to see your hits as the bottles explode.
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by alex1 »

thanks for the tips guys.

when i go to sight in my rifle, i usually use a big whiteboard. this makes it easier to see were the rounds are landing and don't need a spotter. I am currently using remmington 55gr soft point/bronze point shells. i am thinking on moving back to the winchester super x 55gr shells.

i do have a 1-9 twist rate barrell. what do u guys think of using a heavier grain shell?
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

kjd wrote:Mate I think you are missing and have shot plenty of foxes with softpoints and had them exit.

I like softpoints on varmints (foxes rabbits hares etc) more so than hollow points but I still think if you were hitting them anywhere they wouldn't be running around for 1km etc.

This is what I want you to do next time you are out. Get some coke cans/bottles (600mL) get say 6 of them and put them out at unknown distances from 50m to around 300. Shoot at them get someone to spot where the shot goes if it misses. This will be a good indication of where you are shooting at different distances and also a barrel of fun! See which ones are easy to hit and which ones take a few shots to hit. Will give you an idea anyways.
keith is spot on about practising on plastic coke bottles, fill them with water for more effect plus fun and it gives you a good idea whats going to happen to poor little furries.... carnage :twisted:

have done it when nothing is showing so used my time out in the field to sharpen my skills

good luck
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

I use winchester USA brand ammo 45gr jhp in my .223 ive never seen anything shot with this ammo get up even if it was an average shot on my behalf a hit=dead. These should still be available from viccityarms and are about $35 for 50 rounds or there abouts.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

I plan on giving some of the federal ammo a run for its money in a few weeks, in .223 and .243. I know in .243 it groups well but on game as yet is untested. Will let you know how it goes
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Plastic tips Yeah they are great but a 50 or 55gn projectile in .224 is going to be fine for varmints the hundreds and hundreds I've shot with it have never complained.

Softpoints kill just as well as plastic tips and better than hollow points in .224
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Highland SX ammo was great but has ceased production
+1, I've still got two packets...cost $17 then, 55gr bk's very accurate and just devastate's small game. My backup ammo is Federal 55gr gk's, shoot same line, under half moa for three shots and 20mm below the SX.......cost $43.....my lgs should be renamed "Robbery Under Arms".
BIG E

Post by BIG E »

Have been using Remington xpress and they kill every think i hit. hvnt had probs with them yet.
clive

Post by clive »

For me, the Highland AX 55gr soft points are marginally more accurate than the 55gr softpoint Winchester, Remington and Federals that I tried. Not a massive difference tho'.

I've just picked up a box of Wolf 55gr hollow points for $9.00 which I'll try at the range in a fortnight.

For reloads 55gr cheapy soft points (both Hornady and Nosler Shots) have been fine in my rifle (T3 lite, 12" twist).

I've missed quite a few hares up real close; not properly allowing for trajectory. Closer than about 20m you can go under them. Rather than getting that sorted out, I'm now carrying the 22lr as well for the close shots.

Another cause of misses up close can be not having them stop long enough to take a well aimed shot.

Cheers
Clive