Ammunition reccomendations for JW15

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
joelomunro
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Ammunition reccomendations for JW15

Post by joelomunro »

G'day all, I recently acquired a new JW15 and have been trying a few brands and loadings for it. I have tried Win T22, Subsonic, Bushman, Remington Target, Cyclone, CBEE.22, and Federal 36gn HVHP. I've found, as I suspected, that the standard velocity and subs shoot the best and the high vel stuff is a bit erratic. The best so far has been T22 with fairly consistent 10 shot 1" groups at 50 meters, followed by Win Subs, with groups about 28mm. Remington Target has been a dissapointment, about one shot in five is noticeably louder and I get 40mm groups at 50m. The Remington CBEE was a surprise, at 25 meters it gives me one enlongated hole with all shots touching, tho I'm only going to use them for toads and rats. I havent bothered group shooting the Cyclones, Bushman and Federal bulk box HPs except for at home over the bipod and they shoot around the 2" mark at 50.

Ok long intro over, I'm looking for suggestions for what else to try, I think I'll do as a lot of others on here do and use the Winchester Subs for rabbits and small game, when I can get out after them, but it looks like the majority of my immediate shooting will be at the local range shooting metallic silhouettes. I am prepared to use T22s for silhouettes as they can shoot better than I can, but if anyone uses a JW15 for similar and has come across something that shoots well and has enough energy for the Rams, I'd love to know.

Joel
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Ammunition reccomendations for JW15

Post by JasonF »

The Eley stuff is excellent. I use their subsonics with very good results, but others in the range would be worth a try.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

is that a norinco ?
if it is i have 2 of em.if you look in the links i posted before [usefull links thread] one of them sites sells the metal magazine housing.if you dont already have it,replace it asap.the plastic ones are so crap you will loose the mag,or worse.

try the dynamit noble subs [dark blue and black box]
Picture.jpg
(23.07 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
not easy to find and last time i found em they were $85 a brick,but these lil buggas group the tightest of any 22 ammo ive tryed.[and thats alot]

edit: both mine are norinco JW 15A.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Joel,

As a general rule I have found the German manufactured line of ammunition superior to that manufactured in the UK.

The RWS sub-sonics that Lonerider pointed out are the grouse but probably lack a bit of steam.

RWS also manufacture a few other lines of ammunition, most notably the R-100 and R-50 series, although they are a bit expensive.

They also manufacture a line known as 'Target Rifle' (its in an Orange packet) I have been informed that this stuff is from the same machine as R-50 but it is not as consistent as the premium grade, I am guessing that this stuff is tagged 'Target Rifle' after a few hours of operation and once the tolerances of the machine have given way .

However, if you have spare time you can batch this by weight and rim-thickness and it will shoot like ammunition from the top-shelf.

The Germans are renowned for being anal and extremely meticulous with the tolerances and quality of their work.

I would stay clear of SK Match if it is consistency you after as a bloke in our Club dissected three packets of this and found variations in the weight of the lead and in the rim thickness, he also found that the tail of the projectiles were often disfigured.

Apparently like RWS 'Target Rifle' SK Match is the generic brand of Lapua.

I would also be inclined to trial Lapua Center X and Eley Black Box (EPS labelled stuff if you can get it).

It will be all trial, error and frustration.

Regards

Sean
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

Thanks LoneRider and Sean, I might go by Cleavers this Saturday and pick a few for some more trials, they have a bit better selection than my local. If I can find them I'll give the RWS Subs a go, but it looks like the Winchester Subs have enough accuracy for their intended purpose and are easy enough to get. By the way, for anyone who shoots Rimfire Silhouette and Field Rifle, what degree of accuracy are you happy with? I'm getting back into it from a long hiatus and if I get serious or good enough to justify it I can upgrade rifles in the future, but at the moment I'm using the JW15 because it was cheap enough to give me a good excuse to get it, and with only the basic tests so far, seems to shoot above its price.

Now I've just gotta get some contacts together for some shooting partners for a bit of hunting in S.E. Qld.

Joel
damien couper
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by damien couper »

try some of the CCI range my 22lr loves there subs and standed stuff
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

Thanks Damien, I'll pick up a box of CCI standards in my travels too then.

Joel
ant

Post by ant »

Try everything, within your budget. High purchase price is not necessarily better. I have used Eley Ten X and its results were worse than with CCI target ( I can send pics of the actual targets if you would like to see them). .22 pick the ammo they like. Ammo debates are like car debates, some people like Fords some like Holden others like neither.
I have shot 14 perfect scores this year with SK match.

Take home message listen to advise take what suits you from it.
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

I suppose what might be a good question for those with a JW15 is what is the maximum likely degree of accuracy I could achieve, at present I'm getting pretty reliable 1" 10 shot groups at 50 meters, is anything else likely to give me better than this, from that rifle. By the way, rifle has only had a couple of hundred rounds through it now, I cleaned up the trigger so its now pretty good, and floated the barrel, but I'm thinking I may enlarge the barrel channel a little more, just to be positive that theres no contact points ahead of the front action screw. Overall I'm happy for a cheap rifle, but sometimes I cant help but tinker, and wonder...

Joel
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

with the right ammo and some practice with it,you should be able to get under the 1" but of course theres always one flyer.
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Try Federal standard 40gn target ammo, it is very cheap too.

Sounds as if it's shooting well enough now. 10 shots into 1''. Go break some rabbit heads mate!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I like my win subs and win powerpoints, but i mainly keep the 22lr for subs, not too noisy and its not too hard to shoot them to 100m- you just need to know where to hold over at what ranges
tikka223

Post by tikka223 »

sk standard plus in the gold box with the yellow writing shoots best in my brno and sportco. last time i checked it is around $7 a box
cheers
tikka
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

joelomunro wrote:I suppose what might be a good question for those with a JW15 is what is the maximum likely degree of accuracy I could achieve, at present I'm getting pretty reliable 1" 10 shot groups at 50 meters, is anything else likely to give me better than this, from that rifle. By the way, rifle has only had a couple of hundred rounds through it now, I cleaned up the trigger so its now pretty good, and floated the barrel, but I'm thinking I may enlarge the barrel channel a little more, just to be positive that there's no contact points ahead of the front action screw. Overall I'm happy for a cheap rifle, but sometimes I cant help but tinker, and wonder...

Joel
Joel,there are so many thing's that will influence your groups at 50mtr's it's not funny,each rifle is different,what ammo agrees with it,trigger release weight,stock configuration,what are you using to test the accuracy sandbag,tree stump,rest,bag etc,how well you can actually shoot,as I have said many things are at play.
I have a couple of rifles that will shoot sub .2's at 50mtr's but there are blokes at our club that would struggle to keep them in the inch at 50mtr's using them.
As I have said before and I must sound like a broken record............I have weighed,measured,lubed,aligned RF ammo before and have come to the conclusion that myself and most people have better things to do IE get teeth pulled :D than to go to the trouble.
As an example Sean's comment
Sean Ambrose wrote:However, if you have spare time you can batch this by weight and rim-thickness and it will shoot like ammunition from the top-shelf.
Yes I have done just this and if you find a variation in weight and or thickness put those cases aside,now get your rifle and start shooting some groups and now and then chamber and fire one of these so called black sheep and note where it went................if you have a rifle that you are confident with and is a shooter you will note that they will not do anything unusual other than most likely go into the group.
Why a so called flyer happens I cant explain but I have had a few and more than a few with certain high end ammo and that is not restricted to one particular manufacturer either,so it still happens :? .
Sean Ambrose wrote: I would stay clear of SK Match if it is consistency you after as a bloke in our Club dissected three packets of this and found variations in the weight of the lead and in the rim thickness, he also found that the tail of the projectiles were often disfigured.

Apparently like RWS 'Target Rifle' SK Match is the generic brand of Lapua.
Sean,WTF how did the base of the projectile look.....did it look like it was a soft lead projectile pulled from a crimped case................Sean at what weight does it become apparent that accuracy is affected at 50mtr's and by what factor.....I have seen the for want of a better description SK in the baked bean can shoot way better than $60-$70 per 500 should,I have in the safe at the moment 7x rimfires that range from BR's to plinkers and they all shoot the SK very well.....may not be the most accurate but well enough.
I have crap loads of partial boxes of ammo I might pull some and weight them myself and see what variation there is from the cheapies to the did I really just pay that much :shock: .
Joel sorry for getting side tracked but mate for around the $7.00 a box you should be able to find something that your rifle likes,by all means try the expensive stuff but you will enter the vicious circle of ever diminishing returns for your hard earned dollars.

Regards Chris.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

joelomunro wrote:Thanks Damien, I'll pick up a box of CCI standards in my travels too then.
+1.
I've shot CCI Standard, and definitely reckon it's worth a try for the price.

regards, curan