Weighing brass?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
flyer

Weighing brass?

Post by flyer »

Does anyone go to the extent of weighing their cases, and then using only the cases of a certain weight?

Flyer
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Flyer,
people do all sorts of things, often because they have to much time on thier hands.
Unless you are shooting Benchrest I wouldnt bother.
If your having that much trouble with accuracy that you need to batch hunting brass you should look at a few other things first.

cheers
flyer

Post by flyer »

I heard that benchrest guys do it. I was wondering whether it was common practice amongst the hunting/varminting community.

When one of my mates told me of the practice, I had a look at my .222 brass out of interest. I found that the variance was a lot higher than I would've previously thought.

Theoretically, it must make a difference. How that translates onto a target, well, someone might enlighten us.

Flyer.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

G,day flyer, I'm no expert, but I've read that brass is made to a certain size and tolerance. The difference in weight between cases can be internal, ie- webbing/casewall, thicker/thinner. Therefore a case with thicker walls than another case, would have a smaller internal capacity and would then have a higher pressure spike, with the same amount of powder,which would make one shot hit a bit higher than another. If that makes any sense. :wink:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

so in all practicality unless your benchresting and need that extra poofteenth of an inch its not worth your time? or did i take those articles the wrong way....

yes, i skimmed, but im usually a fairly good skimmer
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

GriMo,
Thats about it and the only other matter would be if the cases were rimmed in which case you dont batch by weight anyway. The weight of acase does not necesarily affect the capacity.
But I you have the time and it makes you feel better go right ahead.

cheers
flyer

Post by flyer »

So its not the weight variance thats the problem, its the case capacity that would cause an issue :?:
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Yes mate case capacity can make a difference. If you can give a clear indication of what you are trying to achieve, correct or improve then the forum can probably give you the answers you need or at least point you in the right direction.

cheers
roscoe

weighing brass etc

Post by roscoe »

G'day all

IMO the preparation of brass to BR standards is capable of increasing accuracy in a standard factory rifle to a less than MOA performer. Most of my rifles are 15/20 years old and have always had a diet of the best ammo I can produce. All shoot MOA or below and are stock standard as issued. Calibres 243 W, 270 W, 220 Swift, 222R and a now sold 22/250.

Good bedding, free floating barrels and the rest of the accuracy tricks are all helpful, however if you feed any rifle sub standard ammunition it will, IMO, shoot the same way.

Cheers. Roscoe
jb747

Post by jb747 »

If you want to shoot rabbits at 400 metres, then anything that removes the flyers is helpful.

It's quite amazing how much some of the cheaper brass can vary (though if you don't want to weigh, buy Lapua, Nosler, Norma). On a small round like the 223, I've found about 30% of my 'flyers' are associated with brass that is appreciably different weight than the average. Sometimes they aren't far out of the fold, but if you are using a rifle for which the loading sweet spot is small, then it will be quite noticeable.

Of course an alternative to weighing, is to just put aside any cases that give you uncalled flyers.....